Series Discussion: ECQF: Capitals vs. Leafs pt2 (Caps Win 4-2) (Leafs fans READ POST #1)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The Leafs are a good team. They had a slow start to the season and a bad stretch in February, but that's to be expected with a team made up of half rookies. I believe since the clock hit 2017 their record was good for 100+ point pace. IF the Caps can close this deal and get to R2, I do believe this series will have been good preparation for the Pens.

Spot on and folks will realize next year and several years later. The Leafs will either be the Pens or Caps of the next decade in terms of playoff success. My prediction is they'll be like the Pens. Unlike the past, they have good management and most likely not rush things with UFAs. I expect a few Leafs/Oilers finals in the next five years. I agree, this series is a good preparation for the Caps if they focus and finish this round. Time to finish this and get the ultimate prize.

Go Caps.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Do you think the extended time off will hurt the Pens at all?

They're gonna start slow, then pick up and outlast us once we run out of gas, then still have a ton of energy for the rest of the playoffs from this rest

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Well this one, right now is definitely going to 7. Because if the Caps win in G6, the NHL will have 2 days without hockey, instead of just 1.

Sep 19, 2008
Rest is overrated. We know how rusty the Caps can be after rest. Just look at their slide after that dumb mandated week off.

As I always say, you can rest when you've won the Cup. Until then keep grinding

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Of course -- but honestly, the popularity of topic has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I want to participate, but it just seems like rubbing salt in perceived wounds :)

At least when one talks about a history of bad bounces, there's an implied ray of hope that maybe one day it will change. In this case...

Dr. BiPolar says "not good to internalize or stifle your frustrations, better to vent and direct your dissatisfaction towards others". :teach:

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Rest is overrated. We know how rusty the Caps can be after rest. Just look at their slide after that dumb mandated week off.

As I always say, you can rest when you've won the Cup. Until then keep grinding

I think 2 days off would be beneficial. If they practice during the time off I don't think it's nearly as rough as a full week of no hockey related activity.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Hats off to the Leafs. They gave us all we could handle. Andersen was excellent tonight, and Matthews was money all series long. Plus, they were down a D-man.

As much as I whined all game long about Kuz, his line was best line tonight, and then he won key face-off to start to the goal sequence.

Feeling relief more than anything else. Glad to see so many different Capitals pitching in offensively thus far -- Wilson, Williams, Ovie, Oshie, Backstrom, Mojo. Lotta guys with 2 or 3 goals.

I'm encouraged by the fact we didn't fold after the unlucky bounce set up Matthews goal.

Pens will be a tough series, but at least we escaped the ignominy of Pres Trophy first-round exit.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Good series guys. Good luck vs. Pittsburgh.

We had a chance but the better squad won.

Your fan base is pretty respectable.

Until next season.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Leaf fan quickly and respectfully coming in to chime in. Just wanted to say Congrats on a great series! 5 Overtimes was insane, but so much fun. Your team definitely deserved the win as you truly dominated at many times (But a good lesson for the kids hopefully). Williams is a big time gamer, Wilson was also great. I really like what you have in Schmidt (I think he was really a missing key for you guys in the first 3 games). Best of luck the rest of the way. Cheers!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I really like what you have in Schmidt (I think he was really a missing key for you guys in the first 3 games). Best of luck the rest of the way. Cheers!

I think its really possible that Komarov damaged Schmidt's knee. I would not be surprised to find he isn't in the lineup to start the next series.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Didn't Schmidt come back to play last night?

yes, he did return. he was clearly hurt though. they showed him trying to climb over the boards to the bench and the grimace of pain on his face was obvious. I think its possible that we see he is not skating on Tuesday. I hope I am wrong.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
yes, he did return. he was clearly hurt though. they showed him trying to climb over the boards to the bench and the grimace of pain on his face was obvious. I think its possible that we see he is not skating on Tuesday. I hope I am wrong.

I hope you are wrong too. Schmidty changed the complexion of this series. I don't care if he doesn't skate Mon, Tues, or Wed so long as he is (hopefully) healthy for Thursday.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hope you are wrong too. Schmidty changed the complexion of this series. I don't care if he doesn't skate Mon, Tues, or Wed so long as he is (hopefully) healthy for Thursday.

I imagine today is a day off. if he doesn't skate Tuesday its not a disaster. If he is skating then, he is largely fine. If not, we need to worry.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Side note: I thought Carrick was terrible all series. I was bummed when we traded him but he looked awful, to me at least. Didn't use his skating or his puck-moving skills at all and seemed content to just be a little butthole the whole time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad