Series Discussion: ECQF: Capitals vs. Leafs pt2 (Caps Win 4-2) (Leafs fans READ POST #1)

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
what pissing me off it's the lack of attention on kadri's hit. if it was crosby or even matthews the league would be looking at it and media all over it. you can't even look wrongly on crosby without getting a penalty, but yes that's fine to kill ovie and of course, we would get all penalties after that :shakehead

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
what pissing me off it's the lack of attention on kadri's hit. if it was crosby or even matthews the league would be looking at it and media all over it. you can't even look wrongly on crosby without getting a penalty, but yes that's fine to kill ovie and of course, we would get all penalties after that :shakehead

Newsflash! Ovechkin is not a favorite of the NHL and especially the Canadian media. Strike 1 he's Russian, Strike 2 his position on the Olympics. You have the likes of Don Cherry and Bill Waters and others constantly speaking negatively of him. It is what it is, Caps fans just have to accept it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
NHL: "we don't want our stars playing in the Olympics because they might get hurt"
Ovechkin: "I don't care. I'm going"
(Kadri hit on Ovechkin)
*crickets*

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
7D, who was that suggesting that ;)

I call bunk it would be too risky to have Schmidt take 8 shifts at 4RW. In fact, it could green light our 3 offensive RD to jump into the play knowing a D would likely be back to cover. Creating a more dynamic and unpredictable attack.

I much prefer him at RW/Emergency D vs trying to rotate 11F/7D all game long. Heck he is at wing for a lot of rushes when at D full time.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
playing a little catchup here. did I see in the highlights that Ovechkin poked Kadri in the ribs with his stick and Kadri fell down grabbing his knee?

did I see Martin yapping at Ovechkin for returning to the game?

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
playing a little catchup here. did I see in the highlights that Ovechkin poked Kadri in the ribs with his stick and Kadri fell down grabbing his knee?

did I see Martin yapping at Ovechkin for returning to the game?

Niskanen actually slashed Kadri at the same time. That said, he dove like he'd been hit with a sword. Martin is a big mouth ***** who charged everyone during the Islanders series a couple of years ago, so it's not surprising.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Toronto are certainly running the Pens close in the 'Who has the biggest ******** fans' competition

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Didn't see a lot of specifics, but last night was the game I was looking for. They gave up 1. Holtby seemed sharp. They pk'd them to death. They scored on a critical power play.

The question from the start of this series was whether the Caps could keep the Leafs offensive skill in check.

3-0 would be better, but they gave up 1 and got the W.

Would like to see more of the same in G6

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Didn't see a lot of specifics, but last night was the game I was looking for. They gave up 1. Holtby seemed sharp. They pk'd them to death. They scored on a critical power play.

The question from the start of this series was whether the Caps could keep the Leafs offensive skill in check.

3-0 would be better, but they gave up 1 and got the W.

Would like to see more of the same in G6

1 ESG against the 7th worst team in the league at ES that's currently down a man? That was hardly the game you should be looking for.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Good bounce back game from Holtby. Gotta give it to Toronto. They are in every single game and proving to be a challenging matchup for the Caps.

I don't understand all the the fuss about Kadri. The hit was borderline and he got a penalty for it. He then got slashed and Niskanen got a penalty for it. Time to move on.

Second game in a row I am bothered by how ineffective Shattenkirk is. Between him and Trotz, they have to figure something out. Shattenkirk went from a possession driver and a real trump card at the end of the regular season to a liability. There must be a way to tailor some D-zone breakout plays to his skill set, aka complete inability to withstand physical contact.

Sword

May 26, 2014
They could've ended it in regulation if they would've stopped overpassing. Did Johansson lose confidence in his shot? They need to keep it simple and just take the puck to the net instead of being the Harlem Globetrotters of hockey.

3rd line was great in game 2, but not so much recently, expect more from Eller and Burakovsky

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1 ESG against the 7th worst team in the league at ES that's currently down a man? That was hardly the game you should be looking for.

I guess we can always find something to be unhappy about. My concern has been giving up 3 and 4 goals per game. They were not going to continue to progress in these playoffs with that going on.

1 goals against a pretty decent offensive team, settles that concern for me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Second game in a row I am bothered by how ineffective Shattenkirk is. Between him and Trotz, they have to figure something out. Shattenkirk went from a possession driver and a real trump card at the end of the regular season to a liability. There must be a way to tailor some D-zone breakout plays to his skill set, aka complete inability to withstand physical contact.

I don't think the problem with Shattenkirk's game has anything to do with the breakout system. I think it has more to do with his defending skills and ability to get the puck back. I haven't seen him turning pucks over or making a lot of passing gaffes. I am seeing him getting beat defending.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd like to also point out the Penguins struggled with Toronto this season as well. Toronto beat them two out of three games(one was an OT win). Goals in their season set were 8-8 and TML also won the faceoff battle against them as well. Toronto has been playing very well as a team in the last half of the season and especially coming down the home stretch.

Hope we can close them out at home and get ready for the Pens who I feel like we match up better against.

Go Caps!

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I don't think the problem with Shattenkirk's game has anything to do with the breakout system. I think it has more to do with his defending skills and ability to get the puck back. I haven't seen him turning pucks over or making a lot of passing gaffes. I am seeing him getting beat defending.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Right now, when he has the puck behind the net and is subjected to heavy forecheck, bad things happen just about every time. He is not coming up with a play to relieve pressure and turn the puck back up ice.

Effectively, it has made Caps defense 4 deep and it negates the one huge advantage that Caps had over most teams in the league. Our 3rd pair is getting limited use and they still manage to bleed shoots and scoring chances against.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
NHL: "we don't want our stars playing in the Olympics because they might get hurt"
Ovechkin: "I don't care. I'm going"
(Kadri hit on Ovechkin)
*crickets*

****ing rat got away with it just because Ovi wasn't hurt. What do they need for a review? A torn ligament?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
This is a fan discussion board so we have the luxury of choosing whatever topics we like to raise.

It would be detrimental both financially and in many other ways for a team to raise such issues but for players or coaches don't believe for a minute that the thought is not just below their surface, i.e. Peter Laviolette and his remarks "Typical Montreal" from the bench, you can hear it from Alan May on occasion and of course the "royal" treatment that Mario and his organization receive.

Of course -- but honestly, the popularity of topic has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I want to participate, but it just seems like rubbing salt in perceived wounds :)

At least when one talks about a history of bad bounces, there's an implied ray of hope that maybe one day it will change. In this case...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, that's what I meant. Right now, when he has the puck behind the net and is subjected to heavy forecheck, bad things happen just about every time. He is not coming up with a play to relieve pressure and turn the puck back up ice.

Effectively, it has made Caps defense 4 deep and it negates the one huge advantage that Caps had over most teams in the league. Our 3rd pair is getting limited use and they still manage to bleed shoots and scoring chances against.

I don't notice him with the puck and having it taken away from him that much. I see him getting beat by the guy with the puck. I see him getting beat away from the puck.

Shattenkirk was a 3rd pairing defenseman in St Louis for a reason. Maybe the Penguins will be a better matchup for him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd like to also point out the Penguins struggled with Toronto this season as well. Toronto beat them two out of three games(one was an OT win). Goals in their season set were 8-8 and TML also won the faceoff battle against them as well. Toronto has been playing very well as a team in the last half of the season and especially coming down the home stretch.

Hope we can close them out at home and get ready for the Pens who I feel like we match up better against.

Go Caps!

The Leafs are a good team. They had a slow start to the season and a bad stretch in February, but that's to be expected with a team made up of half rookies. I believe since the clock hit 2017 their record was good for 100+ point pace. IF the Caps can close this deal and get to R2, I do believe this series will have been good preparation for the Pens.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
1 goals against a pretty decent offensive team, settles that concern for me.

Especially with the amount of time we spent on the PK. Great job by the PK guys.

I was deeply relieved and encouraged by Holtby's performance.

Now, will we have the killer instinct to finish these guys off in Game 6?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad