ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
A few things...

1. Never count out a team that lost 2 in OT... its a close series and Washington can get back into it.

With respect... Based on home ice advantage it's not that close.... That said... If the Capitals can win three games in Columbus they deserve the series.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Caps are the Caps the outcome of the games/series is totally expected.

Two more games and they move on from Trotz, hire Reirdon (the heir apparent apparently), and start again.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
This is actually proving his point. Hockey is not only numbers, the will to win and to inspire your team to win is just as important for a captain. I don't see Ovechkin as that guy, and I don't blame him at this point for it. The blame is on management for continuing to put OV in that position.

Ovy plays hard, competes hard and scores two goals, if that doesn’t get the team inspired I’m thinking the team has issues.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
There's a difference between being outplayed by the other guy and playing badly. Hypothetical example: One goalie has a 1.50 GAA and .940 save pct. in a series, the other goalie has a 2.00 GAA and a .920 save pct. in that series. Just because the second guy got outplayed, it doesn't mean he played badly or is the reason his team lost.

But your hypothetical scenario doesnt fit the bill here.
Holtby didnt have a .920sv% this series, he was bad. Goaltending decided that series.

Sub .900 in the series, Sub .900 in 4 games out of 7 games. You arent going to win against the Pens with a sub 900 saving percentage. It's just not happening.

With that said, Holtby should get the next start. Grubauer didnt take his chance.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I like you're optimism but it's never gonna happen. Flyers stink defensively and in net, you can survive one, not both.

Pittsburgh doesn't have the best defense, either. This is why we're having many high-scoring goals between those two teams.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I feel like the Caps problem is less Ovechkin and more overpaying guys like Orpik and making bad trades for Winnick, Erat, and Shattenkirk. If they had Forsberg and an upgrade on Orpik they'd be hard to beat and could have possibly won a cup already. I say that as a Pens fan.

Giving Brooks Orpik the $ they did was simply asinine. He was one of Pittsburgh's best players the last two playoffs.

I also believe that overall, their bottom six is one of the worst in the league.

As bad as it looks for the Caps though, I still think they'll make a series out of this.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Ovy plays hard, competes hard and scores two goals, if that doesn’t get the team inspired I’m thinking the team has issues.

Ovechkin plays predictable. Never goes below the dots nor plays in the dirty areas. He’s a perimeter player...always has been...

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I'm not sure it's as much the Capitals choking as it is the Blue Jackets not getting enough respect. They are huge, heavy team with really mobile defenseman and a multiple Vezina winning goalie. It was only a matter of time before they uncorked on a team in the playoffs.

It's a miracle what playing a non Pittsburgh team in the first round can do.

I do think, based on their play, the series should be 1-1 but Washington simply failed in big moments and dont capitalize on their chances. Hell they had the game won but Wilson simply whiffed on an open net. They had a 3 on 1 late and could not convert.

Jackets have not missed many opportunities this series and Washington has missed quite a few. Is it luck or skill? A little of both. Washington may be getting into their own head too much.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It's a miracle what playing a non Pittsburgh team in the first round can do.

I do think, based on their play, the series should be 1-1 but Washington simply failed in big moments and dont capitalize on their chances. Hell they had the game won but Wilson simply whiffed on an open net. They had a 3 on 1 late and could not convert.

Jackets have not missed many opportunities this series and Washington has missed quite a few. Is it luck or skill? A little of both. Washington may be getting into their own head too much.

Washington is probably the best opponent you can have. Don't get so complacent; Columbus has a long way to go, given the fact that there's still Pittsburgh, Nashville, Tampa Bay, and Boston in the playoffs.

Reactions: ncm7772
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad