Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (3-3) Toronto Maple Leafs. GAME 7 AWAITS!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I feel like komarov will be a healthy scratch... Leaf fans are too dramatic, komarov dressing doesnt make a huge difference but I do think babcock knows that kapanen and johnson are too good to scratch over komarov. They are NHL players right now. Dont be silly Komarov isnt horrible, he is also an nhl player, johnson and kapanen just bring too much youth, speed and skill to sit out.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
As we all wait with baited breath to yet again see what happens in game 7, I think it’s important to realize that regardless of the outcome tomorrow, all of this (sports fandom and the excitement of the playoffs) is because of the fans, and our energy and passion during the games shows how much we enjoy times like these.
Without fans, let’s say it was the same two teams playing in some random arena without any fanfare or media coverage, sure we would see some exciting hockey, but honestly who would really care? I think that it’s a beautiful thing that should be acknowledged at a time when so many terrible events steal the headlines far too often these days. The majority of us are here, because the rest of us are here, and that’s what I think we all enjoy the most. Sure, there are always going to be a minority of individuals who are trouble makers regardless of the event or situation, but most of us have things well in perspective, and simply enjoy common bonds and gathering together to escape other realities and just enjoy the moment. What actually happens on the ice is out of our control, and we should always remember that.
I was in Boston last year with friends for a Leafs-Bruins regular season game, and all of us were decked in Leafs gear, cheering loudly for the Leafs, and they won the game. The most memorable part however wasn’t the win, it was the fun we had in the concourse area of the TD Garden with Bruins fans who were just like us, but cheering for black and gold instead of blue and white. Although on the surface we were complete strangers to one another and we were rooting for the opposition, we all had a blast joking around and just enjoying the moment. That’s the best part of all of this experience.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I don’t think Babs is stubborn enough to play Leo when Johnsson looks so much better, but who knows :/ I’m hoping for:

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Plekanec - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Nylander
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen

4 versatile, speedy, 2-way lines, makes it really hard for Boston to abuse matchups, even with the last change. Obviously we’ll try to get the Pleks line against the Bergeron line, but if we can’t, any of those other lines should be able to do a good enough job against Boston’s top line that we don’t get lit up. Shutting that line down, and staying out of the box, are really our top 2 keys to success.

You can’t go against the Bergeron line with a purely defensive line - they’re too good, they’ll score a lot of most of their shifts are played in your end, no matter how good your shutdown guys are. You need a 2-way line that can be on the attack as often as they’re playing D, that’s why Marleau/Pleks/Marner works so well. Marner is a huge offensive threat, keeps the Bruins from cheating much when they have the puck, and helps us maintain lots of pressure in the offensive zone. Any line with Leo on it is going to get hemmed into their own end vs. the Bruins top line, and that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
As we all wait with baited breath to yet again see what happens in game 7, I think it’s important to realize that regardless of the outcome tomorrow, all of this (sports fandom and the excitement of the playoffs) is because of the fans, and our energy and passion during the games shows how much we enjoy times like these.
Without fans, let’s say it was the same two teams playing in some random arena without any fanfare or media coverage, sure we would see some exciting hockey, but honestly who would really care? I think that it’s a beautiful thing that should be acknowledged at a time when so many terrible events steal the headlines far too often these days. The majority of us are here, because the rest of us are here, and that’s what I think we all enjoy the most. Sure, there are always going to be a minority of individuals who are trouble makers regardless of the event or situation, but most of us have things well in perspective, and simply enjoy common bonds and gathering together to escape other realities and just enjoy the moment. What actually happens on the ice is out of our control, and we should always remember that.
I was in Boston last year with friends for a Leafs-Bruins regular season game, and all of us were decked in Leafs gear, cheering loudly for the Leafs, and they won the game. The most memorable part however wasn’t the win, it was the fun we had in the concourse area of the TD Garden with Bruins fans who were just like us, but cheering for black and gold instead of blue and white. Although on the surface we were complete strangers to one another and we were rooting for the opposition, we all had a blast joking around and just enjoying the moment. That’s the best part of all of this experience.

Great post. I love interacting with other fans that get it

But my goodness, my heart doesn’t beat 190 beats per minute during the regular season.....

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It is far past the point of infatuation.

Here we are coming back from a series from 3-1 down and he still does nothing but berate Kadri. You just can't make this up :laugh:

Where’s the berating in asking why he didn’t play?

You must have noticed. Surely you have an opinion.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Great post. I love interacting with other fans that get it

But my goodness, my heart doesn’t beat 190 beats per minute during the regular season.....

Thanks, and good point.

My heart and the heart of most other Leaf fans was also beating at the same pace as yours at the exact same time, which is what makes it so special. Playoff hockey!

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Just imagine the Leafs winning this series tomorrow, it would put an end to the 4-1 chirps from Bruins fans once and for all and would allow Leafs fans to chirp them about blowing a 2-0 and 3-1 series lead.

My expectations for this season was 2nd round in the playoffs, we've already made it to 7 games which is already improvement on last years game 6.

If we win tomorrow I wouldn't care how things unfold against the Lightning. The way I see it is our young core is continuing to gain valuable playoff experience. If we win tomorrow, we're truly playing with house money the rest of these playoffs.

Reactions: marty111

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Just imagine the Leafs winning this series tomorrow, it would put an end to the 4-1 chirps from Bruins fans once and for all and would allow Leafs fans to chirp them about blowing a 2-0 and 3-1 series lead.

My expectations for this season was 2nd round in the playoffs, we've already made it to 7 games which is already improvement on last years game 6.

If we win tomorrow I wouldn't care how things unfold against the Lightning. The way I see it is our young core is continuing to gain valuable playoff experience. If we win tomorrow, we're truly playing with house money the rest of these playoffs.
I get that, but I'd much rather win to be able to keep cheering on the Leafs rather than get to chirp Bruins fans. Boston is a great team and they've played a fantastic series so far, and they shouldn't feel shame in that. I definitely wouldn't feel shame in losing to Boston

Reactions: Rob Brown

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

This is the kind of experience that forges cup winners.

I know Matthews production-wise has been a disappointment this series, but let's really think about this: He's going up against Bergeron and Chara who have made their living off shutting down superstars practically their whole careers. They've even shut down Malkin and Crosby in the past. The experience that Matthews is gaining this series is invaluable.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don’t think Babs is stubborn enough to play Leo when Johnsson looks so much better, but who knows :/ I’m hoping for:

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Plekanec - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Nylander
JvR - Bozak - Kapanen

4 versatile, speedy, 2-way lines, makes it really hard for Boston to abuse matchups, even with the last change. Obviously we’ll try to get the Pleks line against the Bergeron line, but if we can’t, any of those other lines should be able to do a good enough job against Boston’s top line that we don’t get lit up. Shutting that line down, and staying out of the box, are really our top 2 keys to success.

You can’t go against the Bergeron line with a purely defensive line - they’re too good, they’ll score a lot of most of their shifts are played in your end, no matter how good your shutdown guys are. You need a 2-way line that can be on the attack as often as they’re playing D, that’s why Marleau/Pleks/Marner works so well. Marner is a huge offensive threat, keeps the Bruins from cheating much when they have the puck, and helps us maintain lots of pressure in the offensive zone. Any line with Leo on it is going to get hemmed into their own end vs. the Bruins top line, and that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Dat depth!

Sooooo.....we gonna win this bish or what?!

Reactions: ponder

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

**** Boston

I don't care about them or there fans, I just want to continue on this ride with our guys for as long as possible

I'm loving the fight we've shown and how much this sort of playoff pressure will help us to continue to grow/develop

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I know Matthews production-wise has been a disappointment this series, but let's really think about this: He's going up against Bergeron and Chara who have made their living off shutting down superstars practically their whole careers. They've even shut down Malkin and Crosby in the past. The experience that Matthews is gaining this series is invaluable.
also for what it is worth
regular season: 15.61 icf/60, 1.01 ixgf/60
playoffs: 17.93 icf/60, 1.05 ixgf/60

so to me it looks like he's even getting opportunities slightly better than he did in the regular season. And he absolutely dominated in the regular season. he's not getting bounces at all though

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Young gunz what? My goodness, I didn't think they had this much fight in them.

This series has been a rollarcoaster of emotions. The season felt worthless after the first two games; this was not the team we saw all year. But the way they’ve battled themselves back in has made me proud again. I’m going to try to keep that feeling no matter the outcome tomorrow. This series should probably have been over by now, but the kids we have here refuse to lay down and die. I think it bodes well for the future.

Reactions: ECanuck

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Boston is a one line team. And, I don't know if you've noticed, but Marleau-Plekanec-Marner and Freddie are in that lines head.

The Leafs are gonna win Game 7. It's destiny.

Reactions: marty111

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

True, production doesn't always tell the story. He's doing great with the battles.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I feel like komarov will be a healthy scratch... Leaf fans are too dramatic, komarov dressing doesnt make a huge difference but I do think babcock knows that kapanen and johnson are too good to scratch over komarov. They are NHL players right now. Dont be silly Komarov isnt horrible, he is also an nhl player, johnson and kapanen just bring too much youth, speed and skill to sit out.

Wasn't a big fan of Kapanen's game last night, other than his shorthanded chance, so I think there's merit in a Komarov-Kapanen substitution.

I'd be very surprised though if that were the case - Babcock mentioned after game 6 that he thought Kadri struggled a bit with the pace of the series now that he's back regularly in the lineup. Surely he looks at that, and the overall pace of the series, and concludes that there's no real point throwing Komarov to the wolves right now?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I disagree. Game 7 is game 7. I think Komarov should be in the game on the 4th line. His style of play suits game 7 better then Johnsson at this time. I think Babcock would be a fool not to reinsert him into the lineup for this crucial game. Vet who was around the last time we lost to Bruins, would want to make up for that slip up. He's truculant, an agitator and better defensively.

Komarov for me should be back in for game 7

Sarcasm. Right?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Wasn't a big fan of Kapanen's game last night, other than his shorthanded chance, so I think there's merit in a Komarov-Kapanen substitution.

I'd be very surprised though if that were the case - Babcock mentioned after game 6 that he thought Kadri struggled a bit with the pace of the series now that he's back regularly in the lineup. Surely he looks at that, and the overall pace of the series, and concludes that there's no real point throwing Komarov to the wolves right now?
I agree Kapanen had an off game, but putting Komarov in over him would be a horrible move. Even if you ignore that Kapanen is a much better player who's much more likely to be a positive difference maker, I want Babcock to show some confidence in the kid.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I agree Kapanen had an off game, but putting Komarov in over him would be a horrible move. Even if you ignore that Kapanen is a much better player who's much more likely to be a positive difference maker, I want Babcock to show some confidence in the kid.

I agree.

Ultimately I don't think it'll happen, and think the lineup will be the same.

The only thing that could have swayed Leo getting in, was if the PK was still struggling, but they've been much better, including a real BIG BOY kill late in the third last night, which will surely help Babcock and the PKers build more confidence as a unit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad