ECHL: Wranglers’ arena woes

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Too bad the team could not find another place to play in Vegas. Hopefully something will get worked out, but from the article it looks like the owner might be looking to move/sell the franchise.
And I agree the ECHL is a GOOD product, like it a whole lot better than the NHL.

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
Too bad the team could not find another place to play in Vegas. Hopefully something will get worked out, but from the article it looks like the owner might be looking to move/sell the franchise.
And I agree the ECHL is a GOOD product, like it a whole lot better than the NHL.

Money wise I agree with you the ECHL is better. I'm sure there are many of us can attest to the high prices for tickets in the NHL. My last NHL game was in 2006 and we paid over $50 dollars per ticket for seats two rows from the top. I guess I can't complain too much. The ticket came with a coupon for a free hot dog.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
11 seasons, two of those losing. Two trips to the Kelly Cup finals. Not too shabby. During the lockout, I spent that entire season at the Orleans arena. I had a lot of fun there.
I think the change in ownership and the lack of an AHL affiliate really hurt this team.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
People care about affiliates? Personally I see them as less than helpful. More take than give.

Affiliates are good for a cap break. I believe that an AHL assigned player is only $550/week against the cap no matter how much they make. Some affiliates have handshake deals where the AHL club "assigns" a more expensive player that they never intend to have in the AHL, just for the purpose of giving the ECHL team a lower cap hit on a player that they wanted to sign.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
People care about affiliates? Personally I see them as less than helpful. More take than give.

Try to get a good goalie at the ECHL level who's a free agent. Good luck.

Alaska had some success without affiliations in the past, but they were the exception not the rule.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

Alaska had some success without affiliations in the past, but they were the exception not the rule.

That's a valid point. Most of the better goalies are assigned. Yeah, you can get saddled with a bad assigned goalie, but you're unlikely to have one of the better ones if you just sign an FA.

Off da post and in

Dec 2, 2013

Um, your Cincinnati Cyclones had one last year with Joe Howe (10-3-2 with a 2.78 GA and a 91 SV%). ;)

Off da post and in

Dec 2, 2013
Nobody said it was impossible, it's just hard to find one. Especially mid-season.

I didn't indicate whether it was easy or impossible.

However, I did find some irony in the fact a Cyclone fan made that comment when Cincinnati had two AHL affiliates pumping numerous goalies their way and the Clones still found Howe. :D

bhigo59

Oct 8, 2007

Another goalie picked up during the year was Riley Gill by the Reading Royals during their Kelly Cup Championship year. All he did was carry them thru the rest of the year and capture that championship. He was also the MVP of the cup finals. I doubt the Royals would have won that championship without finding Riley during the year.

Off da post and in

Dec 2, 2013
Another goalie picked up during the year was Riley Gill by the Reading Royals during their Kelly Cup Championship year. All he did was carry them thru the rest of the year and capture that championship. He was also the MVP of the cup finals. I doubt the Royals would have won that championship without finding Riley during the year.

Very good point. An experienced and knowledgeable coach will find those kind of free agent goalies ( Gill and Howe), or skaters who will help get a team to the Kelly Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad