ECHL/CHL Merger rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
The OKC franchise would probably be moved to Bakersfield. Bakersfield is owned by the Oilers and draws many more fans per game.

Bakersfield: 4,859 fans/game
OKC: 3,348 fans/game

With Ontario joining the AHL, Bakersfield is easy for travel.

Bakersfield is a reasonably quick drive to LAX, where there are direct flights to Edmonton.

Presumably, San Jose and Anaheim get teams in California too (Stockton/San Diego/Fresno?), setting up a pretty good, easy base of travel for the AHL west...

Why wouldn't they just fly Bakersfield - San Fran - Edmonton?

hoodle

Jun 25, 2014
So they buried the merger details...and announced the fluff ..how long are they going to, or can, wait until they lose this season and the Central League plays a final season? I would think Oct 1st might be the cutoff date. Just my thought

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Although if they were going to announce anything from the meeting if a merger/ absorption took place you would think they would announce it as well along with the rule changes.

I don't doubt that the CHL and ECHL met at those meetings and discussed a merger. But with that announcement by the ECHL I'm starting to think they maybe both leagues met to put the wheels into motion for a merger for the 2015-16 season.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Although if they were going to announce anything from the meeting if a merger/ absorption took place you would think they would announce it as well along with the rule changes.

I don't doubt that the CHL and ECHL met at those meetings and discussed a merger. But with that announcement by the ECHL I'm starting to think they maybe both leagues met to put the wheels into motion for a merger for the 2015-16 season.

I think you are right. Hammer out the details during each leagues season this year, then have all summer 2015 to plan for the influx of 6 or 7 teams to the ECHL and schedule everything accordingly.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, had a hard time imagining that the merger was going to take place in time for this upcoming season, so no real rush on that front for next year. Lots of time to iron out all the details, which teams get in, and what the alignment will be.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
As has been stated numerous times on these boards, there will not be a merger. If any/all CHL teams want to join the ECHL, they will do as expansion teams, just like the WCHL teams did in 2003, and they will do so under ECHL rules.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't see the CHL folding mid season it is after all owned by the franchises and at this point all of the teams are pretty well off as far as ownership is concerned, even Brampton's owner is pretty big. What we will probably see is the division of Allen, Tulsa, and Wichita into 3 separate owners either the individual Stevens brothers or to other groups. But the franchises will make through this season.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Will be interesting when it is announced, but its Wednesday and no announcements are made yet.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well at this point all the teams are the ones (at least from an external perspective) are the ones on more solid ground Missouri, Allen, Witchita, Rapid City, Tulsa. Only thing was those is that most likely we would see the division of Allen, Witchita, Tulsa divided up between the 3 Stephens brothers or the brothers and other groups. Quad City seems to be under an ownership group now that seems willing to stay put in the league, otherwise they would probably have gone out sooner this summer or with Denver and Arizona. And Brampton despite their location is actually backed by deep pocketed owner with a lot of hockey experience, plus an ECHL move could bring the Leafs on board in Brampton. So most likely we should expect to see all CHL franchises be admitted this season.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
ECHL/CHL Merger

Is the ECHL/CHL merger really done nothing been said yet.I hope Brampton gets in.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
If this were going to happen for the upcoming season, it would have been announced by now. The ECHL under Brian McKenna doesn't make hasty, ill-advised business moves, and this would certainly be one.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If this were going to happen for the upcoming season, it would have been announced by now. The ECHL under Brian McKenna doesn't make hasty, ill-advised business moves, and this would certainly be one.

Agreed.

The ECHL's best strategy is to let the collapse on the CHL take its natural course and pick up the strongest remaining pieces for the 2015-16 season.

But, I have heard rumors that groups from Casper WY, Louisville KY, Flint MI, and Moose Jaw SK are interested in joining the CHL in 2015-16. Along with a retirement community from an undisclosed Florida location:razz:

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
If it happens this season, the CHL teams won't pay much to join the ECHL, as a group they have much more value sticking together, essentially holding the Western ECHL teams hostage, since the ECHL can't keep the good Western ECHL teams in the league if they lose all the California teams to the AHL.

Will the combined league be the ECHL, yes, clearly due to the ECHL PHPA, since the CHL PHPA still hasn't been agreed to, a quick look to the CHL PHPA league link still doesn't show an signed agreement. But the ECHL will have added three teams with attendance around 5,000 a night (Mizzou, Wichita, and Tulsa, with Rapid City and Allen well above 4,000). Next season, without Ontario, Bakersfield,and Stockton, all possibly going to the AHL, the Western ECHL teams will spend too much time playing three games in three nights in Alaska, since no other ECHL teams are willing to go there. A four team Western ECHL Division, without the California teams, isn't viable, especially with Alaksa being one of them.

Here's a map, do the math. Alaska's a much bigger problem without the California teams than Brampton is in the CHL and that's not going to change, ever.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zOZ01sv2DGic.kVqCa65_4w2c&authuser=0&hl=en

Al?

RLR

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
If it happens this season, the CHL teams won't pay much to join the ECHL, as a group they have much more value sticking together, essentially holding the Western ECHL teams hostage, since the ECHL can't keep the good Western ECHL teams in the league if they lose all the California teams to the AHL.

Will the combined league be the ECHL, yes, clearly due to the ECHL PHPA, since the CHL PHPA still hasn't been agreed to, a quick look to the CHL PHPA league link still doesn't show an signed agreement. But the ECHL will have added three teams with attendance around 5,000 a night (Mizzou, Wichita, and Tulsa, with Rapid City and Allen well above 4,000). Next season, without Ontario, Bakersfield,and Stockton, all possibly going to the AHL, the Western ECHL teams will spend too much time playing three games in three nights in Alaska, since no other ECHL teams are willing to go there. A four team Western ECHL Division, without the California teams, isn't viable, especially with Alaksa being one of them.

Here's a map, do the math. Alaska's a much bigger problem without the California teams than Brampton is in the CHL and that's not going to change, ever.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zOZ01sv2DGic.kVqCa65_4w2c&authuser=0&hl=en

Al?

RLR

I'm not sure most of the current western ECHL teams like to travel up to Anchorage, not only because of the travel but because they are a beast of a team. Even without the rumored departures of the California teams the ECHL needed to beef up that division. The CHL teams would be a welcome to the ECHL regardless. This is the one area where the ECHL needs the CHL more than the CHL needs the ECHL. The one and only area but the question remains can the CHL teams accept traveling up to Alaska for away games thus paying more money than having some teams travel to Brampton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad