ECHL 2020-21 Season Plans

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I figured Kalamazoo wasn’t gonna play. I was told by my sources that they wouldn’t but I was convinced by the fact they put down ice they'd play. I don’t understand why a team with a declining fan base and weak attendance would spend 10k to put ice in and even more to keep it for months if they weren’t gonna play. Just makes no sense to me.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I figured Kalamazoo wasn’t gonna play. I was told by my sources that they wouldn’t but I was convinced by the fact they put down ice they'd play. I don’t understand why a team with a declining fan base and weak attendance would spend 10k to put ice in and even more to keep it for months if they weren’t gonna play. Just makes no sense to me.
On this rare occasion, you're one of those posters who doesn't need a new source. You need a new you. ;)

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

I'm curious, where you got those figures from? I know what it costs to put ice in the DCU Center, and what the daily cost is to maintain it, so I'm wondering where your number came from.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm curious, where you got those figures from? I know what it costs to put ice in the DCU Center, and what the daily cost is to maintain it, so I'm wondering where your number came from.
I work with the ice down in Atlanta. I am not sure of the exact price, but I remember that it costs about that much to put it in between energy and man hours, and it was expensive for the same reason to keep in as someone had to be on the clock 24/7 to check on it. Curious to know what the numbers for the DCU center were. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that's what I was told it cost.
On this rare occasion, you're one of those posters who doesn't need a new source. You need a new you. ;)
That is fair. Definitely blew it. :laugh:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Not the OP, but the Royals put in pink ice for the "Pink in the Rink" weekend for a couple years, then stopped doing it. The GM said the amount they were being charged by the building to change it over and change it back was "thousands" of dollars. Since the team is now owned by the governmental authority that also owns the building they have started to do the pink ice again. So both may be true - the actual cost to the building may not be that much, but the amount they charge a renting team might be a lot higher.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Komets' projected start date pushed back | Ice Chips | Journal Gazette

If the Komets play, they're gonna do it at a loss. I don't know what they will earn from this.
We could be looking at this the wrong way. The Komets can have almost 4K in their building. But we’re looking at this from a business perspective. What if an owner is willing to foot the bill for one season if it means a higher chance of a championship? Ft Wayne hasn’t done too much since joining in 2012

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
We could be looking at this the wrong way. The Komets can have almost 4K in their building. But we’re looking at this from a business perspective. What if an owner is willing to foot the bill for one season if it means a higher chance of a championship? Ft Wayne hasn’t done too much since joining in 2012

I mean, Trenton basically did that in 2005, and it cost the ownership group so much they got out. Hockey was never the same in Trenton after that.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I mean, Trenton basically did that in 2005, and it cost the ownership group so much they got out. Hockey was never the same in Trenton after that.

But... is it worth it? Fort Wayne has enjoyed hockey for decades, even moving another team from Flint just to keep the whole thing going.

I can justify Indy playing since, well, the Indiana State Fairgrounds wants stuff for the wintertime with the loss of countless events (the Indiana Boat, Sport, and Travel Show was cancelled, usually one of their biggest moneymakers that isn't the annual fair) and a need to recuperate some losses through parking and concessions that they split with the Indy Fuel, but Fort Wayne doesn't earn money from concessions. The only way they make a profit is through butts in seats.

Also, going for a championship in a 14-15 team field where I'd assume the top 8 qualify doesn't have the same impact, but unlike other teams that are either happy to be there or are willing to do their best to please their NHL affiliate with goalie development, Fort Wayne wants to win.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
But... is it worth it? Fort Wayne has enjoyed hockey for decades, even moving another team from Flint just to keep the whole thing going.

I can justify Indy playing since, well, the Indiana State Fairgrounds wants stuff for the wintertime with the loss of countless events (the Indiana Boat, Sport, and Travel Show was cancelled, usually one of their biggest moneymakers that isn't the annual fair) and a need to recuperate some losses through parking and concessions that they split with the Indy Fuel, but Fort Wayne doesn't earn money from concessions. The only way they make a profit is through butts in seats.

Also, going for a championship in a 14-15 team field where I'd assume the top 8 qualify doesn't have the same impact, but unlike other teams that are either happy to be there or are willing to do their best to please their NHL affiliate with goalie development, Fort Wayne wants to win.

You can't "justify" Indy playing because "the Fairground wants stuff for the wintertime because they've lost events" when they can only have 30 percent of the arena capacity and that'd cut capacity down to half of last year's average attendance. It's bad business by their owners, who are the ones who make the decision, not the Fairgrounds Authority, who probably have an edict to minimize losses, not make a profit.

That said, you're right, don't ever tell the Frankes a championship won from amongst a smaller field, or one from a league where you own or finance 4/7 of the teams!

Reactions: GindyDraws

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
You can't "justify" Indy playing because "the Fairground wants stuff for the wintertime because they've lost events" when they can only have 30 percent of the arena capacity and that'd cut capacity down to half of last year's average attendance. It's bad business by their owners, who are the ones who make the decision, not the Fairgrounds Authority, who probably have an edict to minimize losses, not make a profit.

That said, you're right, don't ever tell the Frankes a championship won from amongst a smaller field, or one from a league where you own or finance 4/7 of the teams!

I'm not saying it's a good justification. I'm just saying that may be why we're doing it. We'll still lose money, regardless, and not every game will even fit that capacity, all the same.

Meanwhile, Fort Wayne is going to do their damndest to win another championship.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Meanwhile, we've heard nothing of testing protocols or safeguards for players, staff, and fans. We've been told nothing of how teams will handle a player testing positive. Nothing about how they'll handle rescheduling when a team can't play due to Covid. Hell, the league is basically hiding that teams have elected not to play - they won't put it on their website.

Commissioner Ryan Crelin, who never worked anywhere else but the league office, has not handled this well. If the league collapses because of this, it's his fault.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Commissioner Ryan Crelin, who never worked anywhere else but the league office, has not handled this well. If the league collapses because of this, it's his fault.
Take up your torches & pitchforks, men. We're headed to Princeton! :badidea:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Meanwhile, we've heard nothing of testing protocols or safeguards for players, staff, and fans. We've been told nothing of how teams will handle a player testing positive. Nothing about how they'll handle rescheduling when a team can't play due to Covid. Hell, the league is basically hiding that teams have elected not to play - they won't put it on their website.

Commissioner Ryan Crelin, who never worked anywhere else but the league office, has not handled this well. If the league collapses because of this, it's his fault.

how has the league Communication office not handled this well..... it has been well publicized on every team page whether on the team's site or through social media, whether it's been the entire opt-out of the North Division, or the recent opt-outs by Cincinnati, Kalamazoo, and Idaho....

in fact, where would u expect the Railers to play had they not opted out, Eddie, when in fact field hospitals are in active use at both the DCU Center and another in Lowell was under consideration to be activated.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If the Railers wanted to play without fans, they could have played at a half dozen rinks around the area...at least three wouldn't even need much of an upgrade to meet the ECHL on- and off-ice minimums.

But what do I know, I just live here...

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad