Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
They don’t really need chychrun at the moment

Flyers have interest. I think something around Laughton for chychrun will be done
Horrible value.

Laughton is good in a vacuum but not for Chychrun. At that point just keep him and trade him retained at the deadline.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I’d rather trade him for picks and use those to find a better fit than Laughton.

Priority 1 needs to be right D. I don’t want to waste money on bottom 6 players until that is figured out.
I see where you're coming from but think you're looking at things kinda narrowly. No reason why we can't move Chychrun for a good middle 6er and add at RD. It's about having a cohesive plan and moving towards it.

I do see your edit though and I agree that priority 1 is RHD. Guess I just a) dont see the two things as mutually exclusive and b) don't see us returning a more/much more valuable piece or package than Laughton.

Reactions: Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chychrun + Boston 1st + Forsberg for an extended Ullmark. Who says no.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I see where you're coming from but think you're looking at things kinda narrowly. No reason why we can't move Chychrun for a good middle 6er and add at RD. It's about having a cohesive plan and moving towards it.

I do see your edit though and I agree that priority 1 is RHD. Guess I just a) dont see the two things as mutually exclusive and b) don't see us returning a more/much more valuable piece or package than Laughton.

I guess I could see a world where Laughton gets a return similar to Henrique. Which wouldn’t be so bad.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Stolarz is a UFA and won't break the bank.

What's your definition of won't break the bank?

Gustavsson got 3.75M x 3 as an RFA. Driedger got 3.5M x 3 with a similar late career resurgence. Goalies are in more demand than when Dreidger signed. I could easily see Stolarz getting 4M give or take 100k in either direction.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 11.22.03 AM.png

Those are the goalies available in free agency who played 10 or more games in the NHL this past season, sorted by save percentage.

There is a supply issue with goalies. More teams have moved to tandems. How many of those goalies would teams feel comfortable with as their #2 goalie playing 30 games, let alone their starter?

We also aren't in a position to gamble in net. Stolarz or Brossoit could be the real deal, but they haven't played as the #1 goalie anywhere. They would be good pickups for a team who already has a cheaper #1 goalie to the point where they can gamble 4M on a number 2 who may or may not pan out.

We need a known quantity who can solidify the position for us.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
What's your definition of won't break the bank?

Gustavsson got 3.75M x 3 as an RFA. Driedger got 3.5M x 3 with a similar late career resurgence. Goalies are in more demand than when Dreidger signed. I could easily see Stolarz getting 4M give or take 100k in either direction.

View attachment 863032

Those are the goalies available in free agency who played 10 or more games in the NHL this past season, sorted by save percentage.

There is a supply issue with goalies. More teams have moved to tandems. How many of those goalies would teams feel comfortable with as their #2 goalie playing 30 games, let alone their starter?

We also aren't in a position to gamble in net. Stolarz or Brossoit could be the real deal, but they haven't played as the #1 goalie anywhere. They would be good pickups for a team who already has a cheaper #1 goalie to the point where they can gamble 4M on a number 2 who may or may not pan out.

We need a known quantity who can solidify the position for us.
Could be the real deal? One is 30, the other 31. Look at how many games they have played. Gamble 4m... I never understand your posts except they are bad all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Stolarz is a UFA and won't break the bank.

He's the top UFA goalie available and will get overpaid by some team, maybe his hometown NJ Devils.

I don't think they want to go into next season counting on Jake Allen as their #1.

Stolarz might be worth paying for, as unlike Korpisalo he's actually been a solid goalie over his career.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He's the top UFA goalie available and will get overpaid by some team, maybe his hometown NJ Devils.

I don't think they want to go into next season counting on Jake Allen as their #1.

Stolarz might be worth paying for, as unlike Korpisalo he's actually been a solid goalie over his career.
What Stolarz are we talking about here?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I'm just speaking in generalities because I'm not a goalie guy, but I don't think the Senators are in a position to take a risk in net.

They need more of a known quantity or sure thing. Next season is very important and our goaltending has been bad. We can't risk missing the playoffs again if we go after a Stolarz and he can't successfully transition to playing 40-50 games.

A team that already has a veteran to lean on, or isn't in as dire of a state as we are could take that risk.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Stolarz being a good play, I just don't think the Senators are in a position to gamble on a goalie.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ok. Ok. Just checking. 28, 19, 27 are his games played the last 3 years. 108 games total and he's 30 years old. Are we looking for the next Andy here or a Forsberg replacement?

He's probably the best option we have, and it's unlikely we get him given he's the top UFA goalie on the market and there are numerous teams looking for starters.

The dreamers will throw out names like Ullmark and Saros, ignoring they have NTCs and are UFAs in a year and won't want to spend the rest of their career in Ottawa, so it's not happening.

I threw out the idea of trading Pinto for Swayman last summer prior to signing Korpisalo and people crapped on it. Same goes for trading for Thompson from Vegas. Now neither are options.

We'll probably have to go with the Detroit approach this year. Signed a consistent albeit mediocre backup as insurance in case Korpisalo sucks again, and then maybe add a 3rd goalie or keep Forsberg as extra insurance. Not ideal but what can you do.

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He's probably the best option we have, and it's unlikely we get him given he's the top UFA goalie on the market and there are numerous teams looking for starters.

The dreamers will throw out names like Ullmark and Saros, ignoring they have NTCs and are UFAs in a year and won't want to spend the rest of their career in Ottawa, but that's not happening.

I threw out the idea of trading Pinto for Swayman last summer prior to signing Korpisalo and people crapped on it. Same goes for trading for Thompson from Vegas. Now neither are options.

We'll probably have to go with the Detroit approach this year. Signed a consistent albeit mediocre backup as insurance in case Korpisalo sucks again, and then maybe add a 3rd goalie or keep Forsberg as extra insurance. Not ideal but what can you do.
How is this guy the top UFA that teams are looking at for a starter? This is bonkers. 108 games played total. 28 games played max in a season. What is going on?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How is this guy the top UFA that teams are looking at for a starter? This is bonkers. 108 games played total. 28 games played max in a season. What is going on?

Because there is no established starter available this year.

Talbot played the most games but he's 36 and is a paper tiger.

Beyond him there's only backups. Stolarz and Brossoit had the best numbers and may have starter upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad