ECHL 15/16 membership - fomer AHL pickups, Vegas out

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So I assume ADK Flames name stays, just a different league? Wish they'd bring back the Frostbite name and colors. Also hope the Jackals survive, hate to see Elmira lose that team.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
So I see today they are bringing back the early bird. Dumb to ever get rid of it. You going back? Lol

Definitely a good deal now, but I am happy going to the Elmira College games and not being committed to 36 games a year. Price in the Red End Zone are even lower than before now (although the $5 tickets in 109 are still cheaper than the $6 advertised season ticket price).

Also advertising season tickets and actually being around for another year are 2 different things.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Definitely a good deal now, but I am happy going to the Elmira College games and not being committed to 36 games a year. Price in the Red End Zone are even lower than before now (although the $5 tickets in 109 are still cheaper than the $6 advertised season ticket price).

Also advertising season tickets and actually being around for another year are 2 different things.

Haha I didn't even look at the prices but if $6 season seats are true that may be the lowest I've seen. I think they realize now they have no leverage. The Jackals have the worst attendance in minor league hockey. They are bleeding in the red. This isn't fully up to date but close

http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/att.cgi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So I assume ADK Flames name stays, just a different league? Wish they'd bring back the Frostbite name and colors. Also hope the Jackals survive, hate to see Elmira lose that team.
Adirondack Thunder

They unveiled the name and logo on the 11th.

10987656_397606140421103_4772233594731011033_n.jpg

They should use something more relateable to the Adirondacks.
Is thunder more relatable to California than upstate New York somehow? I haven't been to New York State, but I have been as far east a Michigan and they had some pretty intense thunderstorms when I was there. So I assume it's not much different in Upstate New York. When I was in California there was a bunch of rain but I didn't experience much for thunderstorms. Seems to me that Thunder is a name that could be used in pretty much any location.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Adopting the Thunder name and logo in Adirondack makes no sense unless Calgary is looking to unload the team on a local owner and a generic name might make that easier to do. Seriously if they are affiliated to the Flames why not keep the Adirondack Flames name? All this is likely to accomplish is piss off the overwhelming majority of Stockton fans who want to keep the Thunder name for the AHL team next year.

Thunder God

Mar 12, 2007
ThunderDome
Adopting the Thunder name and logo in Adirondack makes no sense unless Calgary is looking to unload the team on a local owner and a generic name might make that easier to do. Seriously if they are affiliated to the Flames why not keep the Adirondack Flames name? All this is likely to accomplish is piss off the overwhelming majority of Stockton fans who want to keep the Thunder name for the AHL team next year.

The name of this team makes sense because every state has Thunderstorms.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

I don't see why a team in a different league can't be called the Thunder, as well. That said, Calgary will probably want their stamp on the team, so I'd bet it changes.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I don't see why a team in a different league can't be called the Thunder, as well. That said, Calgary will probably want their stamp on the team, so I'd bet it changes.

Well, there's already another ECHL team called the Thunder (Wichita)

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Still do until Norfolk is officially in the ECHL. Norfolk and Milwaukee are both the Admirals. Been that way since Milwaukee came from the IHL.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I guess this wouldn't matter as Wichita came into the league from another and obviously Milwaukee did the same. However Adirondack is sort of a new franchise. I mean its not but they are inheriting a team from elsewhere. Its unfortunate they won't decide another name.

olebaron

Aug 27, 2014
Oklahoma City
When OKC and Wichita were in the CHL, the OKC game announcer referred to the Thunder as the Blunder. There was a comment board called the CHL Underground. I started using Blunder when referring to Wichita and soon found that some thunder fans didn't think that was funny.

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Well, there's already another ECHL team called the Thunder (Wichita)

Its the ECHL Central division which is comprised of only games within the division. The AHL is actually following the ECHL lead with next years Pacific Division. When thew ECHL this season absorbed the former CHL it created what is now known as the central division. All the teams of that division play within the division only during the regular season. It keeps travel costs down, the only other way they will play outside of the division, for this season atleast would be to advance out of the division round in the playoffs. The Witchita Thunder or Adirondack Thunder wont likely see one another unless both advance towards one another in the Kelly Cup finals lol. Rustbelt cities like Binghampton, Allentown, Hershey, or Rochester wont even get to play Stockton, Ontario, San Jose, or San Diego in gorgeous Cali next season unless they meet in the Calder Cup finals. Those new western based AHL clubs will be in the Pacific Divison which is exactly the same division which is what existed in the ECHL. I am sure one day we might even see an expanded eastern division of the ECHL with more upstate NY and New England teams.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Its the ECHL Central division which is comprised of only games within the division. The AHL is actually following the ECHL lead with next years Pacific Division. When thew ECHL this season absorbed the former CHL it created what is now known as the central division. All the teams of that division play within the division only during the regular season. It keeps travel costs down, the only other way they will play outside of the division, for this season atleast would be to advance out of the division round in the playoffs. The Witchita Thunder or Adirondack Thunder wont likely see one another unless both advance towards one another in the Kelly Cup finals lol. Rustbelt cities like Binghampton, Allentown, Hershey, or Rochester wont even get to play Stockton, Ontario, San Jose, or San Diego in gorgeous Cali next season unless they meet in the Calder Cup finals. Those new western based AHL clubs will be in the Pacific Divison which is exactly the same division which is what existed in the ECHL. I am sure one day we might even see an expanded eastern division of the ECHL with more upstate NY and New England teams.
The Central division of the ECHL actually plays over 40 games this year outside their division. The main reason for the scheduling was that there wasn't enough time to re-do the schedule after the merger went through. Starting next year every team in the Western Conference will travel East every year and every East team will travel West every 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad