ECHL 15/16 membership - fomer AHL pickups, Vegas out

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Central division of the ECHL actually plays over 40 games this year outside their division. The main reason for the scheduling was that there wasn't enough time to re-do the schedule after the merger went through. Starting next year every team in the Western Conference will travel East every year and every East team will travel West every 3 years.

Depends where West. I hope they avoid sending teams to Alaska for one. Anywhere else is okay now that the California's are gone. They could really cheapout and send everyone to like...Cincinnati lol

blizz71

Dec 27, 2014
I have to disagree that the nicknames that are available can run out. I think its more of a situation that people just get lazy and don't know how to be creative.

Take LSU and Auburn for example. Auburn's rally/fight song is War Eagle, which would be a great nickname. As for LSU, the fans sometimes refer to the teams as the Bayou Bengals. That is far better than Tigers.

As for me, I've always like the nickname for the University of California at Irvine, the Anteaters.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Three good nicknames for teams; UC- Santa Cruz Banana Slugs, Lansing Lugnuts, UC- Long Beach Dirtbags.

qq598369_376514242434062_946271397_n.jpg

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I have to say the SPHL may have some the best nicknames the Louisiana IceGators, FireAntz, Havoc. And formerly Jacksonville Barracudas.

But my all time favorite nickname was the former Bossier Shreveport Mudbugs! With a close second going to the Albany River Rats.

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Will Worcester get a E team or do think hockey is done there

I asked this question over at the AHL Westward Movement thread, and the thing I got is that, while it could work, I'm not sure if there's anybody in the Worcester area that'll help start up a team.

But I believe there is market value in the return of the Ice Cats.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
For the immediate season unless a ownership springs up over the summer that is tied with the Sharks in some form, I don't think Worcester will be playing next season. However down the road there might be a group willing to buy into an ECHL franchise.

It would be cool to see to Ice Cats resurrected.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'm sure so many in Worcester were San Jose Sharks fans lol

Much like how many people in Battle Creek were Yankees fans in baseball. At least when the team was in Cleveland, they used the Barons name and had fun with the logo.

To me, the laziest nickname you can give a minor league team is the nickname of the parent club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad