GDT: ECF - Game 5 - New York Rangers vs Tampa Bay Lightning - 8pm EST, ESPN - Series (Tied 2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Haha. Right. Nyr is wonderful in all their wins and when the other team wins they were lucky or the refs screwed the rangers. Jesus this is throw away high school hockey cry baby crap. These series are battles and you cannot piss games away. I don't know what you saw tonight that convinces you game 4 wasnt a must win. This game was a coin flip tonight, not the slam dunk nyr win many here predicted. You want to play with fire with Tampa that's just stupid. You have them down on the mat and you're staring at a 3 0 series lead and then you let them up from that everyone should've expected this. You can't give a team like tampa any opportunity to bounce back and gain new life. This isn't like playing a series against the devil's...

I couldn't agree with this more. The Rangers had this series by the balls, but have led it slip away. I give the Lightning total credit for taking advantage of it; it's what champions do (it wouldn't shock me if they beat Colorado in the Cup final; Vasilevsky(sp?) alone gives them a chance; he's the best goalie they'll have faced; Keumper and Francouz have benefitted from the team in front of them and the Avalanche's current core haven't been in this position before).

When Kevin Rooney is the first player off the proverbial bench, you are screwed and that's on Drury (thought Gallant doesn't have to put him in the lineup). Would have rather seen Gauthier get inserted in the lineup.

If Strome had connected on that pass from (I think Panarin) late in the 3rd period when he couldn't get a handle on the puck when he had a wide open net, we'd be talking a different story. I think they hang on to win and they're going back to Tampa Bay up 3 games to 2.

I want to be optimistic about tomorrow night, but it's really hard. They've been resilient through the season, but the last 3 games have a kick to the stomach. Can't catch a break; they've gone through 2 grueling 7 game series and it may be catching up to them mentally if not physically. Plus, Tampa Bay knows how to win these type of games; they can win 6-5 or 1-0. The Rangers aren't there, at least not yet; still a couple pieces missing (I'll save the rest of that thought for the Roster Building thread)

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Wow you beat us this year ....we played a minor league goalie most of the year...thats the point I'm trying to make, that's your forte, beating 3rd string and minor league goalies

you know youre allowed to draft goalies too right? theyre kinda important. but i am very hurt a piece of human hair gel made fun of the rangers....freaking dylan. maybe one of the next bunch of years this team goes on a run he wont be a meany...theyre still so young so....gonna be a few of them. rent free chief enjoy it

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'm the one overreacting to a small sample size? Lol you're the one implying that they should not be getting more playing time because they haven't been as good over the past 3 games. In this series they are
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in even strength CF% and FF%
  • 1st, 2nd, and 5th in even strength scoring chances %
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in even strength high danger scoring chances %
So, since you place so much weight on even smaller sample sizes (2 - 3 game spans), were you advocating on starting Georgiev in game 5 against the Penguins, since Shesterkin played so badly for 2 straight games?

No. I’m saying they should not get more ice time based on their play over the entire season at the expense of the two best forwards on the team. They have not been nearly as impressive as this board is making them out to be. It’s just the usual thing where our top picks make a few good plays and suddenly they’ve “turned the corner.” Heard the same thing this season when Kakko, and Laf, had like six game point streaks and then they went on huge runs of nothing. Third line ice time against third line opposition is totally fine. They obviously should not be getting less ice time than guys like Ryan Reaves and Kevin Rooney.

And to answer your question I was in favor of starting Georgiev in game 5 if Shesterkin’s poor play in the previous two games was because he was injured after the Carter collision. Clearly he wasn’t actually injured and thus Shesterkin should have, and did, make the start.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Hard to score many at 5v5 when the other team can commit penalties at 5v5…
You will learn this in a year or two. They throwaway the rule book for playoffs. You have to use that to your own leverage, otherwise you will just end up complaining about it. Refs won't change.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
When I think back about last night’s brutal loss …
The only clean sog I recall are a few from trouba - Panarin quick snaps and …. Kevin 53 game goal drought not Wayne Rooney ….who had two decent rips on net .

Ziba Kreider Laff Kakko Strome Fox A BIG PILE OF f***ALL

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
When I think back about last night’s brutal loss …
The only clean sog I recall are a few from trouba - Panarin quick snaps and …. Kevin 53 game goal drought not Wayne Rooney ….who had two decent rips on net .

Ziba Kreider Laff Kakko Strome Fox A BIG PILE OF f***ALL
Mika had a bunch of quality chances. He’s not the guy to go after. Kakko and Copp have been noticeably bad. Strome 10x worse than either, completely invisible all playoffs unless he’s missing a wide open net. Kreider doesn’t do anything at 5v5 anymore which is disappointing considering how much of a possession monster he used to be

Rooney was solid, one of our better players. I thought K’Andre arguably had his best defensive game as a Ranger

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
As much as we all hoped for a different outcome if they were gonna get to the Finals it was always going to be by taking the toughest road possible because that’s the Ranger way, it sucks but when it works out you get those moments that you never forget because of the adversity gone through to get there

Keep fighting!

Reactions: Unpredictable1

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You will learn this in a year or two. They throwaway the rule book for playoffs. You have to use that to your own leverage, otherwise you will just end up complaining about it. Refs won't change.
They've thrown it away for one team.

If they're going to swallow whistles, that's fine. Just call it the same for both teams.

Reactions: Cmox

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The refs are not good almost all the time for everyone. Every team gets impacted by bad officiating. And at this time of the year every team picks, hold, grabs, interferes, etc. If you're mad about that then change your expectations back into reality. Nyr isn't as good as other teams are at subtle moving picks and such.

As for the rest, we basically agree, and even in such a game it was a crapshoot tonight, not a slam dunk win. Again, this is why you couldn't let the bolts off the mat when you had your foot on their neck in game 3. There is literally no argument to be made to downplay that. They have lost 3 games in a row now and are on the brink.
Yes, they have. I Will go down with the ship, if that is the way it turns out. But I will root, yell, scream and scream some more during Game #6. This is what real fans do, I am disappointed that there even IS a game #6, but that hopefully will stick in their craw for years to come......again, "if" they lose. Maybe they will realize that THEY are facing elimination and do what they have already accomplished twice.
Pretty sure NO TEAM has ever come back in 3 consecutive series deficits. If so, I apologize. But, I will root, oh boy will I root.

anthonyd46

May 29, 2015
Greenwich, CT
www.survivorgif.com
Yes, they have. I Will go down with the ship, if that is the way it turns out. But I will root, yell, scream and scream some more during Game #6. This is what real fans do, I am disappointed that there even IS a game #6, but that hopefully will stick in their craw for years to come......again, "if" they lose. Maybe they will realize that THEY are facing elimination and do what they have already accomplished twice.
Pretty sure NO TEAM has ever come back in 3 consecutive series deficits. If so, I apologize. But, I will root, oh boy will I root.
Yea I don't think any team has come back from 3 deficits, but maybe in history there is a team that came back from a small one like down 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 multiple times, but not like 2+ more games behind in the series multiple times like the Rangers have so far.

Having said that.. they haven't lost 4 in a row all year (they lost 3 in a row twice once in november and once at the end of the season when resting people) and I think the games outside of Game 4 have been close enough where the law of averages should tilt back to them at this point.

As I said In my previous post I do wonder if the question marks of Strome and Goodrows availability in Game 4 that lasted all the way up to just before puck drop and then the Strome scratch + Chytil injury, causes line changes during the game and then the whole lead up to Game 5 where they didn't know who was playing 100% kind of disrupted the whole team. They had won 4 in a row before game 3 and were pretty much rolling and everyone was pretty comfortable in their spots.

There should be no injury questions this time right? Other than Blais who I am not sure has a serious shot at playing no one else should be on the injury report.

Do you think they should sit Reeves again or no?

Last edited:
Reactions: Larrybiv

common12

Sep 10, 2011
Words and physical violence are not the same thing. Nor, hopefully, will they ever be considered as such.

This is embarrassing for one party only.
I disagree with this. So its okay with being bullied and you shouldn't be able to fight back? I mean its just words right? Its not like people kill themselves over being bullied right? The I can say anything without the threat of violence is garbage. Its weak people who want to be an asshole but are afraid of getting their ass kicked.

Sorry sometimes people deserve to be punched in the mouth.

This guy from the looks of it was being an asshole and another asshole punched him. The original statement is correct both parties should be embarrassed.

If any Ranger fan was in Carolina after they were eliminated and was walking out surrounded by Carolina fans acting like an ass provoking Carolina fans and he got knocked out I would think the same way. Show some respect and go celebrate the win. You dont need to rub it in the opposing fans face. Its not hard dont be an asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad