GDT: ECF - Game 5 - New York Rangers vs Tampa Bay Lightning - 8pm EST, ESPN - Series (Tied 2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The "score at 5v5" argument is also stupid. The Rangers biggest strength is their PP. It's one of the best in the league. It's number 1 in the playoffs. It was number 5 from February to the end of the year. Having the refs call the game this was disproportionally hurts them. This is not typical of the playoffs. PP/game usually doesn't change much.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
And the Strome chance wasn't a tap in. Copp's pass was too far behind him so when he shot he couldn't reach him. He either needed to stop and it would have been there or Copp needed to put the pass slightly further forward. It just looked like a tap in because Vasy was on the other side of the net.

Reactions: Metranger

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The kids are playing their best hockey of the season and yet on average they are getting 3 - 5 minutes less per game than they did during the regular season..

They are not. They have 1 goal in the last 4 games. They had 3 CF with Kakko on the ice today. This is the new thing. Every game now - Panarin was the worst ever. The Kid Line is great and needs more minutes. They were great at the end of the Canes series. They really have not done much at all in this one - both in terms of actual production and creating chances.

BlaqICE

Apr 10, 2007
N.Y.
They are not. They have 1 goal in the last 4 games. They had 3 CF with Kakko on the ice today. This is the new thing. Every game now - Panarin was the worst ever. The Kid Line is great and needs more minutes. They were great at the end of the Canes series. They really have not done much at all in this one - both in terms of actual production and creating chances.
Yeah, but it was even happening in the Canes series, and the Pens series... And I don't think Panarin played bad tonight so don't lump me in with those people.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, but it was even happening in the Canes series.

I would call not overreacting to a small sample good decision making. They also looked more dynamic in the Canes series. They've been quiet lately and it's not a lack of ice time. I wouldn't break them up but I wouldn't give them hugely more minutes either. Not at the expense of the two top lines. I'd give them some more by severely cutting down the TOI of the 4th line but I also would not even use a PP2 whatsoever.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Tampa knows how to win games. Including the ones they do not deserve.

The “victimized by the refs” narrative is predictable, but disappointing. Rangers had chances and did everything but win a game they probably deserved. Sucks but it’s hockey.

They’ve got the ability to win two straight. We know this. I wouldn’t bet against it happening for a second, even against Tampa. I think they’re the better team in this series.

They were victimized by the refs. I don’t understand why this is always looked at as an excuse. People weren’t really complaining about the refs the last two losses. They were an issue in this game.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
My apologies- I thought this was an open Stanley Cup board. Sorry.
This is an open Stanley Cup board, in the Rangers section. Any fanbase can post here freely. You know god damn well what you’re doing by coming here and pouring salt into the wounds after 3 straight losses so don’t act all f***ing innocent.

BlaqICE

Apr 10, 2007
N.Y.
I would call not overreacting to a small sample good decision making. They also looked more dynamic in the Canes series. They've been quiet lately and it's not a lack of ice time. I wouldn't break them up but I wouldn't give them hugely more minutes either. Not at the expense of the two top lines. I'd give them some more by severely cutting down the TOI of the 4th line but I also would not even use a PP2 whatsoever.
I'm the one overreacting to a small sample size? Lol you're the one implying that they should not be getting more playing time because they haven't been as good over the past 3 games. In this series they are
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in even strength CF% and FF%
  • 1st, 2nd, and 5th in even strength scoring chances %
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in even strength high danger scoring chances %
So, since you place so much weight on even smaller sample sizes (2 - 3 game spans), were you advocating on starting Georgiev in game 5 against the Penguins, since Shesterkin played so badly for 2 straight games?

Reactions: CLW

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
This is an open Stanley Cup board, in the Rangers section. Any fanbase can post here freely. You know god damn well what you’re doing by coming here and pouring salt into the wounds after 3 straight losses so don’t act all f***ing innocent.
Honestly- I didn't realize it was a Ranger section. My apologies. I f*cked up. No salt. I love your team- Panarin, Igor, Fox, Z, Kreids, etc. Not faking. I'm sorry.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I normally hate blaming the refs, but how can you see that Tampa Bay has been called on 1 non goaltender interference, High Sticking, or Too Many Men in 3 games and not think something is wrong with that picture? There were obvious penalties ignored tonight, the Rutta one in particular but it's really f***ing egregious. But yet Miller makes a phenomenal defensive play stick on stick and oh well they look to give Tampa a PP immediately after the Rangers score yet again.

It's BS but the Rangers haven't been good enough either so whatever.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
If we can call into question Kakko ‘s skating and rightfully so …

We can also call attention to Adam Fox ….
He has slowed down to a choppy step skate and at times looks like a midget on the ice physically …

Fox needs to bulk up because he’s breaking down .

anthonyd46

May 29, 2015
Greenwich, CT
www.survivorgif.com
I expect the Rangers to be balls to the wall with Fury next game. I expect to be surprised with play I wasn't sure they had in them.

They're gonna win 5-3 or lose 6-1.

Oh. Strome couldn't hit the side of a barn. He is so bad. But on this play, he was sliding forward so I give him a miniscule pass. But that doesn't happen too often that I do. He has no puck presence.
Yea I agree I expect them to really play hard. They haven't lost four in a row all year. They seem to have a different mindset when down in a series, but obviously I would rather they be up 3-2 right now. They were able to do that in 2015 in Tampa after being down 3-2, but then couldn't score in Game 7 at home. I just feel like if they can get to Game 7 they have a shot.

One thing about this game looking at the stats they had 17 takeaways compared to the Lighting's 5. However they had 27 giveaways compared to Tampa's 14.

So many times this game I would see the Rangers take the puck from Tampa get into scoring range and then whoever on the Rangers would somehow completely lose the puck off their stick or completely miss who they were trying to pass to. Even on the Strome miss he kinda takes lifts the stick a bit second too early. There was just so much of this in this game and I guess that's how you get to 27 giveaways.

One other thing there was so much uncertainty on these last two games of is Strome playing? Also Goodrow for game 4 and Chytil for this game. I have no idea behind the scenes when these decisions were made, but it had to be rough on the team to not know 100% on Strome in Game 4 then have a super late scratch followed by the line pairings changed mid game then today at what point did they decide Reeves would be out healthy?

I would assume there is no injury mysteries for game 6 so hopefully they don't have any distractions of who will play and who won't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad