Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
First season as GM of the Leafs, went about how the real leafs were expected to perform this year. The Devils somehow went 16-0 in the playoffs to win the cup.. lol

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Are you using the '98 DB :laugh:

I'm guessing Schneider posted 16 straight shutouts...?

No I'm actually using the latest database that came out on steam haha

Schneider posted a record of 41-13-3 with a GAA of 1.95 and a sv% of 2.13 in the regular season and in the playoffs we went 16-0 with a 1.55 GAA and a sv% of .938. Only two shutouts haha. Leading scorers were Palmieri and Moore with 16 points a piece.

Somehow Jake Allen won the vezina that year with worst stats. I think I might have accidentally voted for him though so that might have played a part in it. Somehow the Devils have been a top team with 107 points last year and first place again through the first ten games this year.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
No I'm actually using the latest database that came out on steam haha

Schneider posted a record of 41-13-3 with a GAA of 1.95 and a sv% of 2.13 in the regular season and in the playoffs we went 16-0 with a 1.55 GAA and a sv% of .938. Only two shutouts haha. Leading scorers were Palmieri and Moore with 16 points a piece.

Somehow Jake Allen won the vezina that year with worst stats. I think I might have accidentally voted for him though so that might have played a part in it. Somehow the Devils have been a top team with 107 points last year and first place again through the first ten games this year.

The Vezina voting system seems to be awfully biased towards the amount of wins a goalie has, rather than individual stats.

Last edited:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
The Vezina voting system seems to be awfully biased towards the amount of wins a goalie has, rather than personal, more personal related stats.

I've noticed that as well. I'm not sure if it's the same now since it's my first year but I seem to remember a lot of weight given to the user vote at the end of the year.
I used to play this game big time years ago and only recently started again when I seen the improvements they made. Really impressed with the work they put into it so far and downloading logos and facepacks is just so much easier on steam than it was years ago having to find and track all that stuff down manually.

Pretty realistic though, Tried trading lupul this year and he ended up going on the dl for a few months again haha. Played a grand total of 4 games before breaking down.

I did notice an extreme slow down of simming in the second season. Any idea what that might be? Didn't change any settings in between seasons of anything. It's now taking about 5 minutes to sim through 4 days..

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The Vezina voting system seems to be awfully biased towards the amount of wins a goalie has, rather than individual stats.

That's pretty true to life. GMs don't value saves or save ratios or things of that nature nearly as much as timeliness and consistency. Like it or lump it, one of the better measures we have for that among the common goalie stats is wins. Not that I want to open up that can of worms in this particular thread, but GMs vote for the Vezina unlike other awards, and they gravitate much more heavily towards wins than fans do...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That's pretty true to life. GMs don't value saves or save ratios or things of that nature nearly as much as timeliness and consistency. Like it or lump it, one of the better measures we have for that among the common goalie stats is wins. Not that I want to open up that can of worms in this particular thread, but GMs vote for the Vezina unlike other awards, and they gravitate much more heavily towards wins than fans do...

It's actually quite possibly the last thing GMs look at, based on how the voting has been going down for years.

Going back to the 05-06 lock-out, among goalies that played full seasons, there's only one exception to the rule of the top SV% winning the Vezina, and it was last season, as Holtby and his 48 wins got the nod over Bishop and his 35 wins. Considering Holtby tied Martin Brodeur's record, in 12 fewer games, it's easy to see why he got the nod, even though Bishop [.926] had a superior SV% over Holtby and his .922.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I did notice an extreme slow down of simming in the second season. Any idea what that might be? Didn't change any settings in between seasons of anything. It's now taking about 5 minutes to sim through 4 days..

This sounds strange and suspect. I actually find it much slower at the start.
Perhaps having a scan of your computer would be a good idea?
What are your system's specs?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
It's actually quite possibly the last thing GMs look at, based on how the voting has been going down for years.

Going back to the 05-06 lock-out, among goalies that played full seasons, there's only one exception to the rule of the top SV% winning the Vezina, and it was last season, as Holtby and his 48 wins got the nod over Bishop and his 35 wins. Considering Holtby tied Martin Brodeur's record, in 12 fewer games, it's easy to see why he got the nod, even though Bishop [.926] had a superior SV% over Holtby and his .922.

Vezina winners rank in wins (reverse order): 1, 1, 5, 7*, 3, 9, 4, 6, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 10+, 3, 3, 9, 3, 2, 2, 5, 6, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 7, 1, 1 - avg ~3.1 (instances where 1st: 13, instances where top 5: 7)

Save pct: 8, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 8, 3, 3, 10+, 10+, 1, 5, 5, 1, 1, 1, 10+, 1, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 10+, 1, 9, 1, 3 - avg ~3.5 (instances where 1st: 15, instances where top 5: 7)

Data compiled in good faith. Closer than I figured it would be...I'll concede the point...

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
This sounds strange and suspect. I actually find it much slower at the start.
Perhaps having a scan of your computer would be a good idea?
What are your system's specs?

I've got a 750ti ( need an upgrade soon), i5 4460 with 8 gigs of ram and an ssd drive. Everything else works find and nothing comes up on scans. I can run Resident Evil 7 on almost max settings as long as I cap the frame rate at 30 so I doubt it's my system. I was wondering if it has something to do with selected leagues. I had them all enhanced at first. Gonna switch it so only the top tier league in each country is enhanced. I'll let you know if that solves anything later.

Edit: Yeah it didn't solve anything. The game will sim the games and on the last NHL game it needs to sim for that day it stays stuck and the game starts not responding unless I let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes and then it moves to the next day and does it all over.

Last edited:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
In the preferences, see if all leagues are set to "full detail" or whatever it's called...maybe move some to "quick sim" if you have all the leagues on enhanced...

That's the thing though, while I had all the leagues enhances, I had the simming for everything set to quick sim except the NHL which I have in full detail. Changing the leagues from enhanced to standard or whatever it's called didn't seem to help. Very strange. I'll figure something out eventually from tinkering with it. Just odd it would happen on my second season and not the first.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Has anyone ever had luck on signing Ilya Sorokin? He's an insane goalie that the Islanders NEVER sign. It always seems like he stays in the KHL in every roster update. Always seems to max out at a 4-5 star goalie.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Problem seems to have resolved itself.. I noticed the Leafs all time goal and points leader is a man named Manuel Sungren though hahaha

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That's the thing though, while I had all the leagues enhances, I had the simming for everything set to quick sim except the NHL which I have in full detail. Changing the leagues from enhanced to standard or whatever it's called didn't seem to help. Very strange. I'll figure something out eventually from tinkering with it. Just odd it would happen on my second season and not the first.

How many leagues do you have enabled? I started a new save with just the NHL and US/Canada leagues enabled, all set at View-Only except for NHL, and it sped things up enormously over the save I previously had with all worldwide leagues enabled.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Vezina winners rank in wins (reverse order): 1, 1, 5, 7*, 3, 9, 4, 6, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 10+, 3, 3, 9, 3, 2, 2, 5, 6, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 7, 1, 1 - avg ~3.1 (instances where 1st: 13, instances where top 5: 7)

Save pct: 8, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 8, 3, 3, 10+, 10+, 1, 5, 5, 1, 1, 1, 10+, 1, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 10+, 1, 9, 1, 3 - avg ~3.5 (instances where 1st: 15, instances where top 5: 7)

Data compiled in good faith. Closer than I figured it would be...I'll concede the point...

99% sure the vezina just goes to whoever has the lowest gaa who also has a high number of wins/games played.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Problem seems to have resolved itself.. I noticed the Leafs all time goal and points leader is a man named Manuel Sungren though hahaha

That's probably leftovers from the official DB which needs to have fake names due to the licensing.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
That's probably leftovers from the official DB which needs to have fake names due to the licensing.

It's actually going a lot quicker now. Like it's processing a lot less stuff. For about a month in game it was almost unplayable.

I've been looking to draft a goalie the last two seasons but it didn't look like there was going to be a starter in either drafts. Anyone else notice this?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's actually going a lot quicker now. Like it's processing a lot less stuff. For about a month in game it was almost unplayable.

I've been looking to draft a goalie the last two seasons but it didn't look like there was going to be a starter in either drafts. Anyone else notice this?

My scouts often say there wont be any starters then a goalie comes out of nowhere it seems. I just take a flyer almost every draft on a laye round pick. I once had a 210th overall pick develop to one year lead the league in shutouts (id unfortunately traded him too early since he was stuck down on my depth chart).

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

The player projections by scouts aren't really reliable... Especially for goalies.

I also take a chance on goalies with mid round picks. You hit a gem once in a while. Pay attention if multiple scouts recommend the same goalie. I once got a 5 stars non ranked 5'8" goalie in the 6th round that my scouts, assistant GM and coaching staff all unanimously recommended, and yet he was considered a 1 star prospect on draft day by these very same scouts, for whatever reason.

If you stick with the same database for a while, goalies become extremely (nigh impossible) to find. I'm in 2030 currently, and there's like three or four 5 stars goalies in the entire league. Randomly generated goalies all have awful physical stats which really makes it hard to find a bonafide franchise goalie. There's plenty of goalies in my sim with very high technical stats... But more often than not their acceleration and speed is 5 or below. Which kinda spoils the whole thing.

The season I just finished, I lead the league with like 4.30 goals per game on average, but I was also last in the league in goals allowed per game at around 3.50 and my PK% was below 70%... Both goalies sporting .870 save percentages...

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
But more often than not their acceleration and speed is 5 or below. Which kinda spoils the whole thing.

The season I just finished, I lead the league with like 4.30 goals per game on average, but I was also last in the league in goals allowed per game at around 3.50 and my PK% was below 70%... Both goalies sporting .870 save percentages...

Hmm, I never thought of it that way. I didn't think speed and acc was all that important for a goalie. However I find it very hard to pick up goalies with decent or good anticipation after a number of seasons, which is what I always thought was the reason they posted below .900 save%. Guess I will have to start keeping a extra eye on the speed stuff too. :)

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Hmm, I never thought of it that way. I didn't think speed and acc was all that important for a goalie. However I find it very hard to pick up goalies with decent or good anticipation after a number of seasons, which is what I always thought was the reason they posted below .900 save%. Guess I will have to start keeping a extra eye on the speed stuff too. :)

It's my theory, based on how elite goalies like Price, Holtby, Rask and cie tend to age. The technical stats stay high well into their late 30s, but their physical stats decrease gradually, and it definitely has an effect on their performances.

That's how the aging system works for skaters as well.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Does anyone else have problems at the beginning of the season where the salary cap is counting players on your minor league team against the cap? I bring them up to get the offseason training in practice, and then to have a look at them in the preseason, but when I send them back down for a bit in July, some of them are still counting against the cap - and it usually stays there through the beginning of the season. It really seems to be a random selection, too - I can't find any reason that some of them are counting against the cap and others aren't. This happens every season when I am close to the cap, and it doesn't resolve itself by the first game, so I have to make trades and I don't want to do that.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I am sure this has been asked before, but is there any way that the salary cap could be changes year-by-year to simulate the NHL? I.E the players using their inflator, the league making more money randomly (TV contract changes, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad