E3 2016 Discussion + Press Conferences - June 14th - 16th

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

I've never been much of a Zelda person. The most I played a Zelda game was Link to the Past on the GBA and never finished it. I don't hate the series or anything, it's just never truly pulled me in. And I'm a person that's owned the GB, SNES, GB Color, N64, GC, GBA SP, Wii, DS, 3DS, and 3DSXL. Hell, I've only really played and beaten one Metroid game (Metroid Fusion) and damn that was a good one.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Zelda has a lot to prove. They haven't made a good mainline release since Wind Waker.

Also hesitant to really judge the new one until we know what the NX's gimmick is, which they continue to withhold.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How was Twi Pri not good?

Boring overworld and, I know I'm in the minority on this, I found the dungeons dreadfully boring. At least Skyward Sword had great dungeons.

For what it's worth, the reliable Zelda cycle is "the previous game sucked, the one before that was fabulous, the new one needs to be better", for a good long while everyone hated Wind Waker.

Also A Link Between Worlds is one of the best Zelda games to date and was the last one released.

Zelda U is guaranteed to be very solid if not utterly fantastic.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Didn't realize that Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds were considered terrible :rolleyes:.

Yet in your love for SE and FF, I'm sure they've been spotless over the same time period, right?

FF has been crap for a decade as well. I can admit it, you can't. Since TP, Zelda has been crap.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Link Between Worlds was amazing. It was also more or less a re-imagining of one of the greatest games ever made, so there's a bit of a foundation to work with there.

Although I should clarify that I'm really only talking about 3D Zelda. Twilight Princess was when the formula became monotonous, and Skyward Sword was when it fell off of a cliff (admittedly mostly thanks to the wagglemote).

So the last great 3D entry was 2002. There have been 2D entries ranging from horrible to amazing in-between, but none of those really factor in to my expectations for a new 3D release.

Whatever they do with the new one, they have to a) substantially add to the formula, and b) add in a way that isn't dependent on the gimmick of their hardware. Twilight Princess did not add to the formula, and Skyward Sword tried to add via Wii Motion, which was doomed from the start.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I thought I read somewhere this was happening.

I don't remember where though, might have been in one of these threads?
Rumours have surfaced in the last couple days it is.

We know they have an in house version they developed to help with Fallout 4 creation. Makes sense to polish it up and re relase

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Didn't realize that Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds were considered terrible :rolleyes:.

Yet in your love for SE and FF, I'm sure they've been spotless over the same time period, right?

Unless your a hardcore Zelda fan it's pretty terrible

I didn't really enjoy majoras mask. But people loved it. And it's the last good Zelda game I ever heard about.

Oh and wind waker looked Intresting. I heard most of it is just sailing though

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Wind Waker is awesome. It's the only Zelda game that is a true open world imo. Each little island has something to do and despite it being mostly ocean, it still feels more lively than OOT or MM.

And to be fair, most of those games listed sucked in my opinion. Pacing kills Twilight Princess despite it having the best dungeons in the series, Phantom Hourglass sucked with that stupid backtracking and Skyward Sword is just...bleh. ALBW though is awesome.

As for more E3 stuff; rumors are starting to fly about Crash Bandicoot returning to mascot status for Sony. A leak sometime today shows that Activision has apparently signed the rights over to the franchise back to Sony, with a cost;

There's two rumors going right now; the first being via leak, Crash is to appear in Skylanders as a final cash grab for Activation. This will be supposedly followed up by a Crash reboot to be announced at E3, following an announcement of appearance in a supposed PS All-Stars sequel.

The other rumor is much worse; Crash appears in Skylanders on PS4 only as a cash grab. No rights signed over, no reboot, just robbing the corpse of Crash. The exclusive thing isn't a huge leap since the Wii U version of it has exclusive DK/Bowser figures.

I do hope Crash makes a return even if i don't have a PS4.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
My idea is that Activision is just cashgrabbing Crash in Skylanders and that's basically it. Their plans are to make sure COD is the same every year and sell as many toys as possible for Skylanders. And sprinkle in some Destiny here and there and that's basically Activision.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
You know, IDK what I want to see this year. This is the 1st time in a long time I'm not really SUPER excited for a game. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077, but that game is years away. If I had to hope for something I guess it would be that FFXV would be announced for PC, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
You know, IDK what I want to see this year. This is the 1st time in a long time I'm not really SUPER excited for a game. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077, but that game is years away. If I had to hope for something I guess it would be that FFXV would be announced for PC, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

If FFXV was announced for PC, I might actually grab it. Dunno though haha. I guess, with the rumor mill going around, the only thing I really want to see (off the top of my head) would be the new Wolfenstein game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad