Value of: Dylan Strome to Minnesota

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And why do his numbers in Arizona as a 20 and 21 year old matter more than his time in Chicago?
Because in Arizona, he didn't have a Patrick Kane to work with. And when he's not putting up numbers, he's a liability.

And why can't you accept that his production went down when he was playing injured as a valid excuse for some of his non-performance this year. Even if you take his entire 58 game sample, 18 games when he was playing hurt, he still put up 54 points per 82. That's still 2C production.
...but it's still alongside Patrick Kane. And he's still a liability when not putting up those numbers.

No matter how it's spun, one cannot get away from the fact that his only productive seasons at the NHL level have come when he has been alongside a legit superstar. That is not something most teams can afford to do.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
At this point the Wild are going to to protect 8 skaters for the ED. In order to protect Strome they would need to either send them 1 of either EK , Fiala, or Dumba.

I don’t see Minnesota interest in moving Ek or Fiala. I don’t think Chicago wants Dumba.

I would like to get Strome but this deal might have to wait till after the ED unless someone like Parise agrees to waive their NMC for the draft.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
We're going with this argument again............Strome played at a 72 point pace in 2018-19 after being traded to the Hawks with the majority of his minutes away from Kane. Did he play with DeBrincat a ton? yeah.

People said the same thing about Panarin. Is Strome as good as Panarin? No. But he's not entirely the product of Patrick Kane either.

Strome is a bit of a unicorn as a player because he has his warts, and has only been used properly one season in his entire career. People only choose to focus on the warts, because there are a lot of them....but forget that 60 point centers don't grow on trees.

guy hasn’t even scored 60 points

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Because in Arizona, he didn't have a Patrick Kane to work with. And when he's not putting up numbers, he's a liability.

...but it's still alongside Patrick Kane. And he's still a liability when not putting up those numbers.

No matter how it's spun, one cannot get away from the fact that his only productive seasons at the NHL level have come when he has been alongside a legit superstar. That is not something most teams can afford to do.
Yet most of those totals came when he was alongside Alex Debrincat and Kahun/Perlini for most of the year. Not sure where the superstar that the Wild cant matchup with is.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yet most of those totals came when he was alongside Alex Debrincat and Kahun/Perlini for most of the year. Not sure where the superstar that the Wild cant matchup with is.
For G-d's sake, at least look at the cited source links. His top two 5-on-5 linemates both years have been DeBrincat and Kane. Not Kahun or Perlini. DeBrincat and Kane. This is indisputable.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
For G-d's sake, at least look at the cited source links. His top two 5-on-5 linemates both years have been DeBrincat and Kane. Not Kahun or Perlini. DeBrincat and Kane. This is indisputable.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
What you don't realize is that while his two most common linemates were DeBrincat and Kane, 80% of the time he was playing with one of them and not both simultaneously. He was playing with DeBrincat OR Kane not DeBrincat AND Kane. You wouldn't know without watching the games. Occasionally, if trailing by a goal or two 50+ minutes into the game, they'd start all 3 on a line in the O-zone and if they lost possession of the puck either Kane or DeBrincat got the hell to the bench depending on who was closest.

The three of them rarely comprised the entirety of a line at even strength.

There was a short time in March 2019 where they rolled with DeBrincat-Strome-Kane for about 2 weeks, but it ended horribly because they ended up defending for the remainder of their shift if they ever lost the puck.

Stop.

There's a littany of Hawks fans in this thread telling you that you're wrong, and you continue to assume that Strome is a product of Kane instead of listening to Hawks fans telling you that he is a good offensive player in his own right. He spent about 45%-49% of his ice time with Kane, and also ask how much of that was at even strength. You're assuming he does nothing when not with Kane and that's nowhere close to the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthProbert

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What you don't realize is that while his two most common linemates were DeBrincat and Kane, 80% of the time he was playing with one of them and not both simultaneously. He was playing with DeBrincat OR Kane not DeBrincat AND Kane. You wouldn't know without watching the games. Occasionally, if trailing by a goal or two 50+ minutes into the game, they'd start all 3 on a line in the O-zone and if they lost possession of the puck either Kane or DeBrincat got the hell to the bench depending on who was closest.

There was a short time in March 2019 where they rolled with DeBrincat-Strome-Kane for about 2 weeks, but it ended horribly because they ended up defending for the remainder of their shift if they ever lost the puck.
Well, this can be easily checked. Who are the top two linemates for DeBrincat and Kane themselves? If they're not with Strome and the other guy, then clearly this was not a common combo. So, let's look!

DeBrincat, 2018-2019:
Alex DeBrincat - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
Top two forwards on the ice at the same time are Strome and Kahun, which supports your assertion.

DeBrincat, 2019-2020:
Alex DeBrincat - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
Oh dear. Top two forwards on the ice at the same time are Strome and Kane.

Kane, 2018-2019:
Patrick Kane - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
Top two forwards are Toews and Anisimov. (Then Strome and DeBrincat). Also supports your assertion.

Kane, 2019-2020:
Patrick Kane - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
Strome and DeBrincat. Oops.

So your assertion stands up for his first (partial) year in Chicago, when he was alongside DeBrincat for DeBrincat's monster season... but for this past year, those three spent the majority of their time together 5-on-5.

Incidentally, Kahun 2018-2019...
Dominik Kahun - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
...shows his top two guys to have been DeBrincat and Toews.

There's a littany of Hawks fans in this thread telling you that you're wrong
Three is a litany now? And there's more folks who seem to be agreeing with me.

and you continue to assume that Strome is a product of Kane instead of listening to Hawks fans telling you that he is a good offensive player in his own right. He spent about 45%-49% of his ice time with Kane, and also ask how much of that was at even strength.
All of the numbers I've been showing have been 5-on-5 only. I haven't checked all-situations minutes.

You're assuming he does nothing when not with Kane and that's nowhere close to the truth.
I've said that he needs to play alongside a star winger. For Chicago, that's generally been Kane. I'll allow that DeBrincat seems to have taken on more of that role in his first year there. The point remains that he has never done this without that kind of talent on his wings, which is a red flag. And when he's not scoring, he's a liability, which is a huge risk. So you're talking about a guy who is already risky because you have to hope he's scoring or else he's dragging your team down... and he's got a big fat red flag on those scoring numbers. I'll grant the situation is a tad more nuanced than "he's only good alongside Patrick Kane", but needing a Mitch Marner or an Artemi Panarin or any other point-per-game guy you care to name to make him useful is not the sort of thing that makes for high trade value.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Most 5on5 but his steady lineup the most of the year and when he had more success and more games. Look at hoe many games were played with what linemates like from hockeyviz or the sites you used.

Ge started with Kane but was adjusting and not in a groove yet. Also with AA and Kane which had a shift of Anisimov playing wing that didn't work well. His success steadily maintained with Cat and Kahun. Then around February on it was Cat and Perlini. His actual lines were that. If DeBrincat is such a caliber of talent most teams or Minnesota can't find for a 2nd line that is a huge red flag for them offensively.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Why can't Chicago roll something like:

X - Toews - Kubalik
X - Dach - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - X

That gives 3 lines they can roll and makes it easier to match lines, it's not like Toews, Dach, and Strome all fill the same role. Toews has a few good years left in him. If Strome would be seen as a building block without Toews, or Dach, why not just keep him? I don't see Strome being a piece that many GMs value, so it makes the most sense to just keep him - unless it would be an addition by subtraction type of move and I don't think Strome is that bad.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

X - Toews - Kubalik
X - Dach - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - X

That gives 3 lines they can roll and makes it easier to match lines, it's not like Toews, Dach, and Strome all fill the same role. Toews has a few good years left in him. If Strome would be seen as a building block without Toews, or Dach, why not just keep him? I don't see Strome being a piece that many GMs value, so it makes the most sense to just keep him - unless it would be an addition by subtraction type of move and I don't think Strome is that bad.
Because they can't afford him. It's as simple as that. If Brent Seabrook's albatross contract didn't exist, it would be doable. It exists. It is what it is. They have Kane, Toews, Keith and Seabrook making 33.3M combined. Kane and Toews aren't just going to be here for their current contracts. Toews is as good or better offensively as Strome without the deficiencies, and Dach is looking like he's going to develop into a prime Toews clone.

The problem with the Hawks is that they have too many offense only forwards. They need to get well rounded in their forward group.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Because they can't afford him. It's as simple as that. If Brent Seabrook's albatross contract didn't exist, it would be doable. It exists. It is what it is. They have Kane, Toews, Keith and Seabrook making 33.3M combined. Kane and Toews aren't just going to be here for their current contracts. Toews is as good or better offensively as Strome without the deficiencies, and Dach is looking like he's going to develop into a prime Toews clone.

The problem with the Hawks is that they have too many offense only forwards. They need to get well rounded in their forward group.

Top 6 centers don't grow on trees and I highly doubt the Hawks will be anywhere close to a cup contender within 3 years - which is when Kane, Keith, and Toew's contracts are up. If Hawks fans view Strome is a legitimate top 6 center who has the potential to get better, is it not worth the short-term pain if he isn't going to return the value of a top 6 center?

Reactions: Pertti

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Top 6 centers don't grow on trees and I highly doubt the Hawks will be anywhere close to a cup contender within 3 years - which is when Kane, Keith, and Toew's contracts are up. If Hawks fans view Strome is a legitimate top 6 center who has the potential to get better, is it not worth the short-term pain if he isn't going to return the value of a top 6 center?

He's more useful to someone who is trying to win now and needs an offensive 2C than he is to the Hawks. It would not surprise me at all if he's done being useful as soon as his late 20s. I don't see him being an NHL player by 32. The Hawks aren't doing shit until the legacy contracts come off the books in the summer of 2023 at the earliest, and maybe even 2024 when Seabrook is done, and Strome will be a UFA around that time.

That's the huge issue with Strome. The Hawks can't afford him, and nobody wants to give the Hawks what he should be worth in return.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

X - Toews - Kubalik
X - Dach - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - X

They can and should roll with the 3 centers you have down

Reactions: Pertti

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
His skating is so shitty that he's going to fall off a cliff when he ages. He's more useful to someone who is trying to win now and needs an offensive 2C than he is to the Hawks. It would not surprise me at all if he's done being useful as soon as his late 20s. I don't see him being an NHL player by 32. The Hawks aren't doing shit until the legacy contracts come off the books in the summer of 2023 at the earliest, and maybe even 2024 when Seabrook is done.

That's the huge issue with Strome. The Hawks can't afford him, and nobody wants to give the Hawks what he should be worth in return.

I mean... what exactly is the value of a one-dimensional center that has poor skating, especially with the NHL getting faster each year then? Since he isn't viewed as a long-term solution, teams will most likely treat him as a short-term solution or stopgap... and those usually aren't valued very highly because you'll have to upgrade them the moment you start being successful. Based off your evaluation, he's a better center version of a player like Namestnikov (who returned a 4th at the TDL and signed a 2 yr x 2 mil contract).

Reactions: Viqsi

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
He's more useful to someone who is trying to win now and needs an offensive 2C than he is to the Hawks. It would not surprise me at all if he's done being useful as soon as his late 20s. I don't see him being an NHL player by 32. The Hawks aren't doing shit until the legacy contracts come off the books in the summer of 2023 at the earliest, and maybe even 2024 when Seabrook is done, and Strome will be a UFA around that time.

He’s 23, hawks cap is in a fine spot going forward.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Playing a lot with Kane doesn’t mean you just assume he is a product of Kane’s play. Also who would you expect the 2C to play with on the hawks? And do you expect him to play better at a younger age with much worse players in Arizona? It’s already been acknowledged that he fits best in the top six. That’s kind of the point. That doesn’t devalue him to the extent some appear to believe. He’s been better offensively than every 2C before him in a hawks sweater for a long time.

Long story short, watch the games not the TOI stats if you want to accurately assess a players contribution. A

Last edited:
Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

X - Toews - Kubalik
X - Dach - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - X

A couple clear reasons, tbe Hawks don't have pieces that are clearly good to fill those Xs, and only 2 of those listed out of 6 for the top 9 are good defensively. (Kubs and Cat battle but aren't solid on D)

Thats a bad set up already upon a weak defensive core. It works as a rebuild not aim for playoffs year but in doing so you would want to maximize what Strome can be, playing lower minutes might not help him out add value or fit longterm

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I mean... what exactly is the value of a one-dimensional center that has poor skating, especially with the NHL getting faster each year then? Since he isn't viewed as a long-term solution, teams will most likely treat him as a short-term solution or stopgap... and those usually aren't valued very highly because you'll have to upgrade them the moment you start being successful. Based off your evaluation, he's a better center version of a player like Namestnikov (who returned a 4th at the TDL and signed a 2 yr x 2 mil contract).
I think Strome could bounce around playing top 6 minutes for rebuilding teams and putting up 55-70 points per season. That's his best career path. I'm trying to think of a guy like that, and the guy I keep going back to is Olli Jokinen. Jokinen put up some monster seasons with Florida that I don't think Strome is capable of reaching though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Stop.

There's a littany of Hawks fans in this thread telling you that you're wrong, and you continue to assume that Strome is a product of Kane instead of listening to Hawks fans telling you that he is a good offensive player in his own right. He spent about 45%-49% of his ice time with Kane, and also ask how much of that was at even strength. You're assuming he does nothing when not with Kane and that's nowhere close to the truth.

Quarter 2 and 3 of the seasons says you're wrong. Go take a look at his most common line-mates in quarter 3. Here's a hint, it lasted longer than 2 weeks and came before March 2019.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Yeah that isn't happening. Sorry. Nope. Minnesota has Rossi, Joel Eriksson ek, Marat Khusnutdinov and Alexander khovanov. Sorry, Minnesota has no room for Dylan and Minnesota isn't trading Joel Eriksson ek for Dylan
Very very sorry. Minnesota is on their way to the top and is not looking back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad