Value of: Dylan Strome to Minnesota

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What would the Wild offer in return?

Honest opinion:
Strome, in a top 6 and 1st PP unit role, is a 55-65 point center, but those are about as empty of points as there are in the NHL. While 60 point centers don't grow on trees, the rest of his game......yikes.

What kind of value does a player like this have?

I picked Minnesota because they're really shallow at the position and could want a guy like this.

To other teams: If you attempt to play Strome in a bottom 6 role, he's an awful fit there. It's not a good maximization of his skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think that depends entirely on whether or not the Wild believe Kevin Fiala is on the same level as Patrick Kane.
We're going with this argument again............Strome played at a 72 point pace in 2018-19 after being traded to the Hawks with the majority of his minutes away from Kane. Did he play with DeBrincat a ton? yeah.

People said the same thing about Panarin. Is Strome as good as Panarin? No. But he's not entirely the product of Patrick Kane either.

Strome is a bit of a unicorn as a player because he has his warts, and has only been used properly one season in his entire career. People only choose to focus on the warts, because there are a lot of them....but forget that 60 point centers don't grow on trees.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not very good at predicting what it would take to acquire a given player, but I wouldn't mind seeing Strome in a Wild uniform.

Fiala - Strome - Zuccarello
Johansson - Rossi - Kaprizov
Greenway - Eriksson Ek - Bjugstad
Parise - Bonino - Foligno
Sturm

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We're going with this argument again............Strome played at a 72 point pace in 2018-19 after being traded to the Hawks with the majority of his minutes away from Kane. Did he play with DeBrincat a ton? yeah.

People said the same thing about Panarin. Is Strome as good as Panarin? No. But he's not entirely the product of Patrick Kane either.

Strome is a bit of a unicorn as a player because he has his warts, and has only been used properly one season in his entire career. People only choose to focus on the warts, because there are a lot of them....but forget that 60 point centers don't grow on trees.
We're going with this argument again........Strome played 58 games at a 72 point pace, but the rest of his career (106 games, not including the 58 he played in Chicago in 18/19) he has played at a 42pt pace.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
We're going with this argument again........Strome played 58 games at a 72 point pace, but the rest of his career (106 games, not including the 58 he played in Chicago in 18/19) he has played at a 42pt pace.
It's the only time in his career he's ever been used properly.
He also had a bad injury in January and had 30 points in 40 games(62 point pace) before he got injured, despite being jerked around. Everyone in hockey knows that ankle injuries are hard and nag.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It's the only time in his career he's ever been used properly.
He also had a bad injury in January and had 30 points in 40 games(62 point pace) before he got injured, despite being jerked around. Everyone in hockey knows that ankle injuries are hard and nag.
Sure, and every player with high draft pedigree that doesn't quite live up to expectations wasn't developed properly, or played in the proper role, etc. You can't try to sell Strome as a 60-70 pt C, when he has never done it and the majority of his NHL career he was not that player. If Strome was a 60-70 point C, why would the Hawks have any interest in trading him? You don't give up on 23 year old 60-70 point C.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Is there a fit between both teams, yes probably. Think if a deal would’ve happened if would’ve been done before or during the draft.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Sure, and every player with high draft pedigree that doesn't quite live up to expectations wasn't developed properly, or played in the proper role, etc. You can't try to sell Strome as a 60-70 pt C, when he has never done it and the majority of his NHL career he was not that player. If Strome was a 60-70 point C, why would the Hawks have any interest in trading him? You don't give up on 23 year old 60-70 point C.

Because he's blocked from being used properly and the Hawks have cap issues.

Since coming to the Hawks, when not fighting injuries, Strome has been a 60-70 point C. Unfortunately, there are other aspects of his game that absolutely blow chunks(namely, everything else) Dach and Toews are significantly better defensively while being similar offensively(my opinion of what Dach will do this year....I'm a huge fan)

In a world where it was possible to move Toews, I feel confident enough in Strome as a 2C to build around him and Dach.....but I think Toews and Kane are Hawks lifers and they've earned that....To the Hawks, playing Toews with talent and getting him to the HHOF is pretty important, and more important than ruining Toews' legacy to demote him to the 3rd line.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTC

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
From rumors in the summer, they wanted to move him and the price wasnt high but nothing happened. I would bet teams dont really want to pay him what hes going to make

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What does Chicago need?
Draft picks would be the best case scenario. Honestly I'd take 2 2nds at this point. The roster is pretty full with NHL talent. There's a logjam at both forward and D right now, with nothing in net. Having nothing in net is a purposeful action. (they're tanking)

If you guys needed to move a forward, I'd do Eriksson Ek+ a 2nd

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Let’s face it everything.
Yep, the biggest thing is Chicago has some nice potential high end pieces, but there is a big drop off of quality depth after them. They spent the last 10 years gutting organizational depth trading it away or using it to get rid of/protect larger contract that are/were unmovable

and then changing deck chairs on the titanic has largely not killed the team, but it hasnt moved them forward either (Jokiharju/Nylander, Strome/Schmaltz, Rutta/Koekkeok, Duclair/Panik)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Honestly, I don't know if there is a fit for Minnesota and Chicago, especially after this summer. I mean, yes ick in depth, but it's depth.

Rossi, Eriksson-Ek, Bonino, Johansson, Bjugstad, Rask, Sturm are all centers (or at least have played centers) that Minnesota could be looking at.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Draft picks would be the best case scenario. Honestly I'd take 2 2nds at this point. The roster is pretty full with NHL talent. There's a logjam at both forward and D right now, with nothing in net. Having nothing in net is a purposeful action. (they're tanking)

If you guys needed to move a forward, I'd do Eriksson Ek+ a 2nd

Yeah that isn't happening. Sorry. Nope. Minnesota has Rossi, Joel Eriksson ek, Marat Khusnutdinov and Alexander khovanov. Sorry, Minnesota has no room for Dylan and Minnesota isn't trading Joel Eriksson ek for Dylan

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Two 2nds is fair, and we should be swimming in them if we do right things with Bonino, Foligno and Johansson at the TDL. Only problem is it adds to the uncertainty regarding expansion draft protection, but that's probably a minor issue unless they see Dumba here long-term.

Salary and player-wise, it would probably have to be something like Johansson + our 2nd, with Chicago needing to flip Johansson to complete the value.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'm not very good at predicting what it would take to acquire a given player, but I wouldn't mind seeing Strome in a Wild uniform.

Fiala - Strome - Zuccarello
Johansson - Rossi - Kaprizov
Greenway - Eriksson Ek - Bjugstad
Parise - Bonino - Foligno
Sturm

You guys don't really think Rossi is ready to be your 2C do you?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
His whole thing up through the draft was how "NHL ready" he was. He sure as hell isn't going to play on the 4th line.

I understand he's thick and strong for his size but man, feel like he'd get abused in NHL right now. Quite a step up from any level he's played at. Figure it'd be best to leave him over in Europe for the season, let him get acclimated to playing against men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad