Value of: Dylan Strome to Minnesota

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I understand he's thick and strong for his size but man, feel like he'd get abused in NHL right now. Quite a step up from any level he's played at. Figure it'd be best to leave him over in Europe for the season, let him get acclimated to playing against men.

Maybe. Was doubtful from the start though.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I’d be interested but the Wild would somehow have to move a roster player in the deal to make room. Gets complicated from there.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don’t really see a trade to be made with Chicago and Minnesota being division rivals.

Dylan Strome would probably be more useful to a team like Florida or San Jose.

Besides goaltending, Chicago would probably need a winger that is either equal in value and age to Strome or a winger prospect and a pick for Strome.

I’m not sure if Minnesota has any wingers to spare besides Fiala but I doubt the Wild would part with Fiala after the good season he had with Minnesota. Other then that i don’t really see a trade that fits both teams needs now and in the future.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Strome played at a 72 point pace in 2018-19 after being traded to the Hawks with the majority of his minutes away from Kane.
This here is information about Dylan Strome's stats with his teammates during the 2018-2019 season:
Dylan Strome - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
I invite you to go to that link, click on the "TOI With" column so that you're sorting by same in descending order, and then read the name of the #2 guy on the list, just behind #1 Alex DeBrincat and just ahead of #3 Duncan Keith.

I also invite you to look at some of those with-or-without you numbers, and see the impact Strome had on those guys.

His first year was the product of Patrick Kane, and Alex DeBrincat's monster season. His second year (you can find that here) was all Patrick Kane.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This here is information about Dylan Strome's stats with his teammates during the 2018-2019 season:
I invite you to go to that link, click on the "TOI With" column so that you're sorting by same in descending order, and then read the name of the #2 guy on the list, just behind #1 Alex DeBrincat and just ahead of #3 Duncan Keith.

I also invite you to look at some of those with-or-without you numbers, and see the impact Strome had on those guys.
I did, and Strome was better away from Kane than with him. Both seasons.

Honestly, I think that DeBrincat's monster season was due to Strome more than anyone else.

Strome is a talented offensive player in his own right.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
And Kane was much better away from Strome. Above 50%. Strome actually appears to have dragged down the guys he spent most of his time with.
And hockey isn't baseball where the entire game is done on a spreadsheet.

These are only one tool.

You can't quantify hockey on numbers alone.

How many Blackhawks games have you watched over the last two seasons? I've seen all but a handful. You?

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Honestly, I think that DeBrincat's monster season was due to Strome more than anyone else.
Well, let's see. 2018-2019, Alex DeBrincat:
Alex DeBrincat - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
So yeah, most of his time was with Strome during that monster season. I guess they must have taken away that winning combination, right?

Let's check. Here's 2019-2020, Dylan Strome:
And 2019-2020, Alex DeBrincat:

Oh. Huh. I guess not.

Strome is a talented offensive player in his own right.
Bullshit. The ability to keep up with star players is indeed a skill, and frequently a useful one. Bu it does not mean folks with that skill have value to teams that lack such players.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And hockey isn't baseball where the entire game is done on a spreadsheet.

These are only one tool.

You can't quantify hockey on numbers alone.
Indeed, you can't. If we were going on numbers alone, Strome would have had no value at all before he made it to the Blackhawks. He's put up numbers alongside Blackhawks stars, which suggests that he can take advantage of working with talent - which not everybody can do. But that's only valuable if 1) one has that talent already, and 2) if he's willing to come cheap.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Well, let's see. 2018-2019, Alex DeBrincat:
So yeah, most of his time was with Strome during that monster season. I guess they must have taken away that winning combination, right?

Let's check. Here's 2019-2020, Dylan Strome:
And 2019-2020, Alex DeBrincat:

Oh. Huh. I guess not.

Bullshit. The ability to keep up with star players is indeed a skill, and frequently a useful one. Bu it does not mean folks with that skill have value to teams that lack such players.
Oh did you notice that in 2020 Both Kane and DeBrincat were better with Strome centering them than with someone else?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Indeed, you can't. If we were going on numbers alone, Strome would have had no value at all before he made it to the Blackhawks. He's put up numbers alongside Blackhawks stars, which suggests that he can take advantage of working with talent - which not everybody can do. But that's only valuable if 1) one has that talent already, and 2) if he's willing to come cheap.
You can make this argument about anyone that plays with any top offensive player ever.

Sometimes chemistry matters.

Dylan Strome belongs centering a 2nd line in the NHL.

This is the same argument that led to the best offer for Artemi Panarin being Brandon Saad and trash.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh did you notice that in 2020 Both Kane and DeBrincat were better with Strome centering them than with someone else?
In CF%, Kane was; DeBrincat wasn't. Which is part of why I said he's demonstrated that he can work with stars. On the other hand, his production appears to have dropped significantly that year as well.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
In CF%, Kane was; DeBrincat wasn't. Which is part of why I said he's demonstrated that he can work with stars. On the other hand, his production appears to have dropped significantly that year as well.
It did, but only after his injury. Strome had 30 points in 40 games prior to his injury. It was slightly worse than 2019 but that can be explained by the difference in the Hawks power play, which was among the worst in 2020 and top half of the NHL in 2019.

Strome has been a very good player since coming over to the Hawks when not injured.

Listen, Dylan Strome has his laundry list of flaws, but offensive ability ain't one of them.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Don’t think Stome was a product of playing with stars at all. I’m not about to search for numbers that appear to back me up IF I make a bunch of assumptions. He is a talented playmaker. If anything debrincat hurt his production this year with his uncharacteristic inability to finish. If the hawks didn’t have dach, or if Dylan could play wing, I doubt they’d entertain moving him.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Don’t think Stome was a product of playing with stars at all. I’m not about to search for numbers that appear to back me up IF I make a bunch of assumptions. He is a talented playmaker. If anything debrincat hurt his production this year with his uncharacteristic inability to finish. If the hawks didn’t have dach, or if Dylan could play wing, I doubt they’d entertain moving him.
Thank you. If Toews or Dach weren't on the team he'd be a building block. Hell, if Toews would waive his NTC Strome wouldn't be available.

Dach is probably going to be a better player offensively and is already miles ahead of Strome defensively.

He's a luxury the Hawks can't afford.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You can make this argument about anyone that plays with any top offensive player ever.

Sometimes chemistry matters.
Yes it does; I've acknowledged that. The ability to play well alongside a star is indeed a skill. Plugging any random whoever in next to Patrick Kane does not immediately turn them into a 50-point player simply because Patrick Kane; look at the number of wingers tried and discarded by Pittsburgh with Crosby before Jake Guentzel finally came along. But that does not mean that those guys who are 50-point players (or better) next to him - and have been demonstrably poor under any other circumstance so far - are suddenly going to be at that level with anybody else for the foreseeable future.

Dylan Strome belongs centering a 2nd line in the NHL.
...alongside someone who he matches up with, because otherwise he's not helpful at all. As you yourself pointed out, those points are largely empty... and they've been largely nonexistent when he's not playing alongside a Kane or a beastmode DeBrincat. Teams who have guys like that might find him useful, but more likely they'd want someone with at least something approximating two-way ability.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yes it does; I've acknowledged that. The ability to play well alongside a star is indeed a skill. Plugging any random whoever in next to Patrick Kane does not immediately turn them into a 50-point player simply because Patrick Kane; look at the number of wingers tried and discarded by Pittsburgh with Crosby before Jake Guentzel finally came along. But that does not mean that those guys who are 50-point players (or better) next to him - and have been demonstrably poor under any other circumstance so far - are suddenly going to be at that level with anybody else for the foreseeable future.

...alongside someone who he matches up with, because otherwise he's not helpful at all. As you yourself pointed out, those points are largely empty... and they've been largely nonexistent when he's not playing alongside a Kane or a beastmode DeBrincat. Teams who have guys like that might find him useful, but more likely they'd want someone with at least something approximating two-way ability.
Or it could be that all but the most special offensive players in the NHL can't perform when banished to the 4th line.

Strome has produced everywhere he's been outside of the Arizona Coyotes. He dominated the OHL, He was a point per game in the AHL, and has been a 60+ point/82 player in Chicago during two incomplete seasons. Is it possible that his time in Arizona was the outlier, and not the rest of his career? Maybe?

I was watching the game where Strome got injured and I was sure he had blown out his knee. it looked awful.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Strome isn’t a player that Chicago seems like they’d be invested in long term and I assume Strome knows this as well judging from interviews with media.

Toews and Dach should be 1 and 2 C going forward or atleast until Toews contract runs its course.

That kinda leaves Strome on the outs if he is not willing to play the wing which I believe is a point where it may have unbalanced things behind the scenes.

There shouldn’t be no question as to Strome’s ability as a hockey player, the guy has loads of talent and skill but also has flaws that hold him back from becoming a star in the game. Chief among those flaws in Strome’s game is his below average skating and his lackluster defensive game.

If Strome could skate like Kane he probably would have surpassed Toews as the 1C and if Strome had the defensive prowess that Dach has then he wouldn’t be on the verge of losing the 2C spot to him if he hasn’t already lost the 2C spot to Dach.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Or it could be that all but the most special offensive players in the NHL can't perform when banished to the 4th line.

Strome has produced everywhere he's been outside of the Arizona Coyotes. He dominated the OHL, He was a point per game in the AHL, and has been a 60+ point/82 player in Chicago during two incomplete seasons. Is it possible that his time in Arizona was the outlier, and not the rest of his career? Maybe?
I care about NHL numbers. There's tons of people who put up excellent numbers at lower levels but can't translate it to the NHL.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I care about NHL numbers. There's tons of people who put up excellent numbers at lower levels but can't translate it to the NHL.
And why do his numbers in Arizona as a 20 and 21 year old matter more than his time in Chicago? And why can't you accept that his production went down when he was playing injured as a valid excuse for some of his non-performance this year. Even if you take his entire 58 game sample, 18 games when he was playing hurt, he still put up 54 points per 82. That's still 2C production.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We're going with this argument again............Strome played at a 72 point pace in 2018-19 after being traded to the Hawks with the majority of his minutes away from Kane. Did he play with DeBrincat a ton? yeah.

People said the same thing about Panarin. Is Strome as good as Panarin? No. But he's not entirely the product of Patrick Kane either.

Strome is a bit of a unicorn as a player because he has his warts, and has only been used properly one season in his entire career. People only choose to focus on the warts, because there are a lot of them....but forget that 60 point centers don't grow on trees.

2018-2019, Strome's best production came in the 3rd quarter of the season where his 2 most common line-mates were Kane and Debrincat. Posted 23 points in 19 games. Strome also had 8 power play points. We're not going to claim that was all Kane, but he played the powerplay with Kane. That's 31 of his 51 points. His most common linemate in the second quarter was Kane. 15 points in 23 games and his highest goal total in any quarter.

No, 60 point centers don't grow on trees. But I think for Strome to be a consistent 60 point player he'll have to be utilize with good players and with 59% or so oZone starts.

EDIT: Should have read the second page. Somebody else already debunked this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don’t really see a trade to be made with Chicago and Minnesota being division rivals.

Fair point. But its also not unprecedented for division rivals to make big trades, either. Minnesota and Nashville swapped Granlund for Fiala 2 seasons ago.

Dylan Strome would probably be more useful to a team like Florida or San Jose.

Nobody could use another young top 6 center more than Minnesota needs one.

Besides goaltending, Chicago would probably need a winger that is either equal in value and age to Strome or a winger prospect and a pick for Strome.

I’m not sure if Minnesota has any wingers to spare besides Fiala but I doubt the Wild would part with Fiala after the good season he had with Minnesota. Other then that i don’t really see a trade that fits both teams needs now and in the future.

The Wild would probably be willing to deal a winger not named Fiala or Kaprizov. Additionally, Minnesota has two 1st round picks in the upcoming draft. One of them could be dealt alone or packaged with a player/prospect.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have a feeling that Guerin isn't interested in a guy like Strome. It has already been reported that he didn't have interest in Monahan, and he is basically Strome on steroids. He also just traded away Staal, who, at this point, is a C with good offensive skills, but mediocre skating and defense. And he was paid 3.25M/yr.

MN definitely has assets they can send CHI's way should they decide to make a play for Strome, but I just can't see them wanting to sign him long term.

Frankly, if he was as good as some on here are saying, CHI wouldn't be trading him. You can never have too many good C's.

Reactions: Pertti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad