Dylan Strome or Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Toews or Hossa?

Leafs have no strength down the middle, but they do have Kessel, van Riemsdyk and Nylander for the wings.

Hossa. If Marner does stay a winger and becomes Hossa you have a great player. A PPG winger who is elite in all three zones? I feel like every team would love a player like that no? I'd take someone like that over JVR and Kessel. Hopefully Kessel will be traded, and quite frankly I would like to sell high on JVR. I'm a really big supporter of sending Kessel to Van for Virtanen and a 1st + something small. If JVR could get a top 10 pick I do that in a heart beat as well.

Logan Brown will be available next draft. I'd like to come out with Marner and Brown in the next two years. He's a big center at 6'5 (that's two inches more than Strome for the size lovers out there), amazing shot, and amazing top end speed (one of the very few things holding Strome back) . Marner dishing this guy on the wing would be amazing to see.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Strome is more of the type of player we have been looking for.
Marner has loads of skill in the sorta William Nylander style.

If given the choice, we have to take the Ryan Getzlaf over the Patrick Kane.

If given the chance, we have to take the Steve Yzerman over the Petr Nedved.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Couldn't be because he is a really, really good player? Has to be things like people not watching, or family members? :shakehead

You can tell from a lot of the arguments and comparisons that people haven't watched him play though. I haven't watched these kids as much as I'd like to myself, but I've seen people comparing Marner to Kessel and Strome to Thornton... and it's just like... what?!?

I figure we may as well start pulling out the likes of Yzerman, Sakic, and Gilmour for Marner, never mind Giroux, because I think his style is way closer to them than Kessel or Kane. And for Strome, let's pull out Nedved and Primeau. These guys are their own players but as long as we're going to compare them to established players we may as well broaden the range a bit instead of assuming every 6'3"+ center with a bit of skill is automatically Kopitar, Getzlaf, or Thornton.

At the end of the day nobody on here has enough information to project either of these players beyond a rough guess, even scouts can't do it and they know way more than us. I figure we're overrating BOTH simply because there's a chance they'll be Leafs. They both have "1st overall" level junior numbers, but the fact of the matter is they're also both in way better situations in terms of playing with good teammates than most 1st overall picks. And even 1st overall picks don't always become top line players let alone superstars.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He's listed as 5'10 not 5'11 and I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually 5'9. I'm not against picking him though. He's obviously talented - You take the best player regardless of the variables.

Check him out here beside Domi (listed at 5'10") and Dvorak (listed at 6'0"). If Marner is 5'9" then Domi is 5'8" and Dvorak is 5'10" and probably Rielly is 5'10" and Crosby is 5'9" and so forth.

Besides, an accurate measurement will be taken at the draft combine.

467157088-london-knights-trio-of-100-point-men-gettyimages.jpg

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Steve Yzerman shoots R, Mitch Marner shoots R
Steve Yzerman height 5'11", Mitch Marner height 5'11"
Steve Yzerman weight at start of draft year 155 lbs, Mitch Marner weight at start of draft year 155 lbs
Steve Yzerman birth month May, Mitch Marner birth month May
Steve Yzerman letters in first name 5, Mitch Marner letters in first name 5
Steve Yzerman number 19, Mitch Marner OHL draft position 19th
Steve Yzerman NHL draft position 4, Mitch Marner NHL draft position 4?
You can't spell Yzerman without Marne(r).

The parallels are Erie.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Steve Yzerman weight at start of draft year 155 lbs, Mitch Marner weight at start of draft year 155 lbs

The parallels are Erie.

:amazed:

If we pass up on reincarnation of the still alive Yzerman i'll be lived!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

The parallels are Erie.

So...you're saying take Strome?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner playing center tonight for the Knights. Just scored the 1st goal. 1-0 London.

horner

May 22, 2007
He's a better hockey player than D Strome.

I agree.

I know Strome, is going to be good but Mariner is going to be great.

Marner, could turn Carrick into a 20 goal scorer.

What I am saying is that he makes players better.

I think he will be better than Nylander.

Mariner, gets involved physically.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
London wins.

Marner almost set up a shorty late in the 3rd with his hustle after a stupid penalty by Domi. He frankly should have taken the shot himself, but passed it off rather than go for the hat trick.

Kid looks like prime Doug Gilmour out there. Intense. Big game player.

I don't know if he's better than Strome or Hanifin, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone takes him #3.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I know Strome, is going to be good but Mariner is going to be great.

Marner, could turn Carrick into a 20 goal scorer.

What I am saying is that he makes players better.

I think he will be better than Nylander.

I'm fond of making the point that he uses his teammates exceptionally well. I don't know how well that will carry over to the NHL, but you'd think that would be something that translates extremely well. He doesn't often need to outmuscle opponents or even outskate them, because he just goes to the right spots and plays the puck to the right places. By the time the defender gets to him it's too late, like he's got a map hack.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
London wins.

Marner almost set up a shorty late in the 3rd with his hustle after a stupid penalty by Domi. He frankly should have taken the shot himself, but passed it off rather than go for the hat trick.

Kid looks like prime Doug Gilmour out there. Intense. Big game player.

I don't know if he's better than Strome or Hanifin, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone takes him #3.

As I said before, it all depends on how Arizona/Edmonton finish. If Arizona finishes 2nd, they take Eichel. If they finish 3rd, wouldn't be surprised if the took Marner. If Edmonton finishes 3rd, they take (IMO) Strome or Hanifin.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
As I said before, it all depends on how Arizona/Edmonton finish. If Arizona finishes 2nd, they take Eichel. If they finish 3rd, wouldn't be surprised if the took Marner. If Edmonton finishes 3rd, they take (IMO) Strome or Hanifin.

Would be sick if Arizona actually plays a Christian Dvorak, Max Domi , Mitch Marner kid line next year.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
You can tell from a lot of the arguments and comparisons that people haven't watched him play though. I haven't watched these kids as much as I'd like to myself, but I've seen people comparing Marner to Kessel and Strome to Thornton... and it's just like... what?!?

I figure we may as well start pulling out the likes of Yzerman, Sakic, and Gilmour for Marner, never mind Giroux, because I think his style is way closer to them than Kessel or Kane. And for Strome, let's pull out Nedved and Primeau. These guys are their own players but as long as we're going to compare them to established players we may as well broaden the range a bit instead of assuming every 6'3"+ center with a bit of skill is automatically Kopitar, Getzlaf, or Thornton.

At the end of the day nobody on here has enough information to project either of these players beyond a rough guess, even scouts can't do it and they know way more than us. I figure we're overrating BOTH simply because there's a chance they'll be Leafs. They both have "1st overall" level junior numbers, but the fact of the matter is they're also both in way better situations in terms of playing with good teammates than most 1st overall picks. And even 1st overall picks don't always become top line players let alone superstars.

The only thing that makes me think of Thornton with Strome is the passing. Strome has a better shot than Thornton had although Joe's was harder, and I think Strome has better ice awareness at the same age. There's obvious things as well like physicality. You didn't mess with Thornton and he was a slightly better skater. As far as getzlaf goes, Strome at the same age is better in all facets except physicality and skating. Shot was comparable. That said, it all means nothing because players grow into roles in the NHL far more than junior. Thornton became a pass first guy. Getzlaf became a very good two way player and leader but kept his shooting rates. Strome could become one or the other, a mix of both or nothing like them.

There are some pretty funny comparables with Marner as well. Yzerman and Gilmour? Are we only using points now because neither guy played like Marner does now. In fact, he might have gone ahead of Yzerman in his draft year. Gilmour wasn't even seen as a viable NHL'er

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Check him out here beside Domi (listed at 5'10") and Dvorak (listed at 6'0"). If Marner is 5'9" then Domi is 5'8" and Dvorak is 5'10" and probably Rielly is 5'10" and Crosby is 5'9" and so forth.

Besides, an accurate measurement will be taken at the draft combine.

467157088-london-knights-trio-of-100-point-men-gettyimages.jpg

I doesn't matter how tall he is - they always exaggerated the height by an inch anyway - no-one is listed under 5'9" even if they actually are 5'7" or 5'8".

Domi is likely 5'8" Marnier 5'10 Dvorak 5"11"

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
While Bullseye is definitely correct that junior teams tend to overstate heights (for example, London listed Seth Griffith at 5'11" when he was actually 5'9"), Semantics is correct on the heights of the players in question, though I believe Domi might be a tad under 5'10". Marner is at least 5'11.0". The combine should settle it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Are we still *****ing about Marner's size? What about the very apparent difference in the skill level between the two? Dylan Strome will be a #1C but likely on the lower end unless everything goes right for him then he might be a top 10C.

Marner looks like he's got an extremely high potential and can possibly play C. Even if he doesn't play centre, can you pass up on Patrick Kane type potential? Are there 20 centres you would take over winger Kane in the league?

Marner is the kind of player that can make something happen on every shift.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Are we still *****ing about Marner's size? What about the very apparent difference in the skill level between the two? Dylan Strome will be a #1C but likely on the lower end unless everything goes right for him then he might be a top 10C.

Marner looks like he's got an extremely high potential and can possibly play C. Even if he doesn't play centre, can you pass up on Patrick Kane type potential? Are there 20 centres you would take over winger Kane in the league?

Marner is the kind of player that can make something happen on every shift.

There are probably 15-17 centers I'd take over Kane based on current play and potential, but saying that he is Kane is a giant leap. If Marner is Kane, then we can easily say Strome could be Tavares. Who would you rather have, Kane or Tavares? Can you pass up Tavares like potential?

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Just to use 2 recent draft picks of the Calgary Flames [Monahan and Bennet]. Do Strome and Marner measure up to the same types? Monahan= Strome and Bennet= Marner? Seems to me that you have a steady center and then the flashy smaller players. Monahan which was picked 6th overall has exceeded all the players taken ahead of him including Nate McK. at this point. If we got Monahan out of Strome, I think we would be well pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad