Dylan Strome or Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Strome is more of the type of player we have been looking for.
Marner has loads of skill in the sorta William Nylander style.

If given the choice, we have to take the Ryan Getzlaf over the Patrick Kane.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
umm what...do you know when their players were drafted/what positions they favor? :help:

They also draft either D or C mostly...Huberdeau is the only early winger pick.

Ekblad 1st overall (D)
Barkov 3rd overall (C)
Huberdeau 3rd overall (W)
Gudbranson 3rd overall (D)

Bjugstad (C) is the only "core" player who's not a top three pick. Add in Kulikov (D) also a late 1st.

Yeah I'm aware lol, I was saying that they could use a scoring winger right now (so they acquired a stop gap in Jagr).

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Yeah I'm aware lol, I was saying that they could use a scoring winger right now (so they acquired a stop gap in Jagr).

Oh my bad I kinda misread your post. Thought you meant that draft position doesn't matter, lol.

But yeah, I agree - always draft the highest skill players. You can sign 3rd liners and utility guys every year in free agency or pick them up off waivers. I do think Marner and Strome are both BPA at 4 though...wouldn't be mad either way.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I didn't say it wasn't, but you don't pass over the bpa in the draft because he's a winger (not saying this is true right now, just in general).

BPA is actually hard to define even with established NHLers, especially when it comes down to successful team players vs guys with fantastic numbers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
BPA is actually hard to define even with established NHLers, especially when it comes down to successful team players vs guys with fantastic numbers.

BPA is completely subjective from person to person as there is not set standard of rules by which the criteria is set to rank players.

If one asked Hunter, Dubas and Morrison to rank the top 10 by BPA for them I bet the lists are different for each with only the givens the same perhaps.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Strome is more of the type of player we have been looking for.
Marner has loads of skill in the sorta William Nylander style.

If given the choice, we have to take the Ryan Getzlaf over the Patrick Kane.

As it's been mentioned several times in this thread, Strome is closer to Eric Staal then he is to Getzlaf.

Marner actually reminds me of a young Marty St. Louis without the size deficiency and a better 2-way game.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
I'm quite surprised about how much strome has dominated the polls.

Really would prefer marner as we need a guy who is all heart and a great 2 way game. Size is really not that important anymore and its not like Marner is small.

I think Strome has got a lot of votes because of his position, his brother and many people not really caring/watching CHL.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Really would prefer marner as we need a guy who is all heart and a great 2 way game. Size is really not that important anymore and its not like Marner is small.

I think Strome has got a lot of votes because of his position, his brother and many people not really caring/watching CHL.

Couldn't be because he is a really, really good player? Has to be things like people not watching, or family members? :shakehead

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

That 6 point game did wonders as well. before, the discussion was Marner or Strome. Now some posters are discussing Strome vs Hanifin. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen a poster say Strome before Eichel!

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
In no way is an offensive winger a need on this team at all.

Unless we are trying to replicate the Oiler's rebuild...

This, A dynamic offensive talent with a great two-way game is just not needed. I mean look at Marian Hossa. What a piece of poo (no offense to him). Chicago had no need for his 276 points in 315. And that two way game he brought on the wing? It's all rubbish! :sarcasm:

:shakehead

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
BPA is completely subjective from person to person as there is not set standard of rules by which the criteria is set to rank players.

If one asked Hunter, Dubas and Morrison to rank the top 10 by BPA for them I bet the lists are different for each with only the givens the same perhaps.

You wouldn't need a draft if you could assign BPA based on science and all teams took BPA.

Just run it through an assignment algorithm and we're done.

Of course there is no formula and teams BPA is likely influenced by need. Two equal players, one winger one center. Strength down the middle.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This, A dynamic offensive talent with a great two-way game is just not needed. I mean look at Marian Hossa. What a piece of poo (no offense to him). Chicago had no need for his 276 points in 315. And that two way game he brought on the wing? It's all rubbish! :sarcasm:

Toews or Hossa?

Leafs have no strength down the middle, but they do have Kessel, van Riemsdyk and Nylander for the wings.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
I think if we took Strome people would be pretty disappointed with his intensity.

He (and his brother for that matter) don't really have the attitude I'd want from a guy most people seem to expecting will be a borderline franchise player.

Don't get me wrong, Strome's going to be a good player in the NHL for a long time and I'd be happy to have him obviously. But I don't think he's a true franchise changer.

He's not Getzlaf that's for sure and I've seen that comparison thrown around a lot for some reason.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Toews or Hossa?

Leafs have no strength down the middle, but they do have Kessel, van Riemsdyk and Nylander for the wings.

Well we're all hoping Kessel and his attitude is gone soon enough, I think thats pretty clear

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I think if we took Strome people would be pretty disappointed with his intensity.

He (and his brother for that matter) don't really have the attitude I'd want from a guy most people seem to expecting will be a borderline franchise player.

Don't get me wrong, Strome's going to be a good player in the NHL for a long time and I'd be happy to have him obviously. But I don't think he's a true franchise changer.

He's not Getzlaf that's for sure and I've seen that comparison thrown around a lot for some reason.

ill admit i dont know enough about these prospects to make an educated statement about them so for arguments sake lets say you are correct and strome is basically a rich mans bozak with a little height and weight on him. what is the alternative to him if he is not a franchise player?

is marner a franchise player in your opinion? i think the thing swaying peoples opinion of marner vs strome is the position. if marner was a center then poll would likely be 50-50. if marner isnt a franchise player what about trading down? what about just taking someone like werenski or provorov?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Anyone saying there's a 'risk' is out to lunch. He's 5'11". Not 5'1". He's going to be good. Real good.

He's listed as 5'10 not 5'11 and I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually 5'9. I'm not against picking him though. He's obviously talented - You take the best player regardless of the variables.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
As it's been mentioned several times in this thread, Strome is closer to Eric Staal then he is to Getzlaf.

Marner actually reminds me of a young Marty St. Louis without the size deficiency and a better 2-way game.

I didn't really dig into comparison - I wanted to grab a player that is big, methodical and skilled - along with a player that is somewhat undersized, likely a winger, compliments a center, hard-working and tons of skill.

I go with the Getzlaf (Sure Staal) over the Kane (sure St.Louis) - when using comparison.

Not saying that Marner-Nylander couldn't be magic. I'm just look at what we need, if given the choice between the 2.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
ill admit i dont know enough about these prospects to make an educated statement about them so for arguments sake lets say you are correct and strome is basically a rich mans bozak with a little height and weight on him. what is the alternative to him if he is not a franchise player?

is marner a franchise player in your opinion? i think the thing swaying peoples opinion of marner vs strome is the position. if marner was a center then poll would likely be 50-50. if marner isnt a franchise player what about trading down? what about just taking someone like werenski or provorov?

I think there's only two franchise players in this draft and they're being picked 1 and 2. Expecting anyone else out of this draft to make a significant difference in turning around this franchise is a recipe for disappointment.

Grapes1

Jul 24, 2014
I trust that we have had scouts at both players games for at least the last half of their seasons... they will continue to scout throughout the playoffs and I have a feeling they will get it right. I personally think they will pick Marner...

Like someone had mentioned earlier, it's the Nashville pick where they will earn their money.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The way I see it:

* Marner is a better prospect than Strome.
* However, I think Strome will be able to translate better to NHL, evening things out between them as individual players.
* Then I look at how likely the impact of their position is. Strome is 100% a center, and projects as a #1. There is not a more impactful position in hockey. Marner is a 50/50 case between center and winger, and even though I believe both have that ability to become the all-situations, centerpiece kind of player, I think Strome has a better chance.
* Then I consider team need, and we don't have any other possible top center outside of Nylander, and there is a pretty good chance he'll be a winger at the NHL level. While so early in a rebuild with so many needs you shouldn't prioritize team needs, I still feel like it is a small factor to consider. We probably have a few years to strengthen that center depth, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look at doing it now if there are good options available. With how close things are between Strome and Marner in my opinion, this is still something that could tip the scale.

That leads me to give Strome an edge over Marner.

One thing is for sure. Whomever we pick between Hanifin, Strome and Marner, I'll mourn not getting the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad