Dylan Strome or Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
There are probably 15-17 centers I'd take over Kane based on current play and potential, but saying that he is Kane is a giant leap. If Marner is Kane, then we can easily say Strome could be Tavares. Who would you rather have, Kane or Tavares? Can you pass up Tavares like potential?

Kane has 2 cups a con smythe, and is a proven playoff performer. Kane production is also better than Tavares in his career. Pretty easy which player to go with.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Just to use 2 recent draft picks of the Calgary Flames [Monahan and Bennet]. Do Strome and Marner measure up to the same types? Monahan= Strome and Bennet= Marner? Seems to me that you have a steady center and then the flashy smaller players. Monahan which was picked 6th overall has exceeded all the players taken ahead of him including Nate McK. at this point. If we got Monahan out of Strome, I think we would be well pleased.
In order:

Marner

Strome

Monahan
Bennet

But Monahan has proven the most so far of course... that list is just based on talent and potential.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just to use 2 recent draft picks of the Calgary Flames [Monahan and Bennet]. Do Strome and Marner measure up to the same types? Monahan= Strome and Bennet= Marner? Seems to me that you have a steady center and then the flashy smaller players. Monahan which was picked 6th overall has exceeded all the players taken ahead of him including Nate McK. at this point. If we got Monahan out of Strome, I think we would be well pleased.

Strome and Marner have a higher pedigree than either of the recent Calgary picks. Strome for example likely would have went first overall in Bennet's year.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
There are probably 15-17 centers I'd take over Kane based on current play and potential, but saying that he is Kane is a giant leap. If Marner is Kane, then we can easily say Strome could be Tavares. Who would you rather have, Kane or Tavares? Can you pass up Tavares like potential?

Strome plays nothing like Tavares. Marner isn't really like Kane either imo. That's also some terrible logic. If marner becomes as good as Kane, then strome will be as good as Tavares? Marners a safer bet to each his upside than strome. Personally I'd say strome tops out as a Jordan staal, which isn't bad.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Also, what has happened over the past month that has strome as a consensus pick over marner? Seems like a month ago marner was the consensus if hanafin was picked at 3.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Kane has 2 cups a con smythe, and is a proven playoff performer. Kane production is also better than Tavares in his career. Pretty easy which player to go with.

So you're saying that one player wins a Stanley Cup, not a team? Unfair comparison considering Kane's been surrounded by a good team his whole career while Tavares hasn't up until this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Strome plays nothing like Tavares. Marner isn't really like Kane either imo. That's also some terrible logic. If marner becomes as good as Kane, then strome will be as good as Tavares? Marners a safer bet to each his upside than strome. Personally I'd say strome tops out as a Jordan staal, which isn't bad.

I'd say it's pretty bad if Strome turns out to be a 2nd/3rd line center that can barely put up 50 points consistently with our 3rd-4th-5th pick in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad