Rumor: Dylan Strome is available (per Elliotte Friedman)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

giphy.gif

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’ve said for a long time that I don’t think he’s a center, but I’d rather keep him at wing than trade him for a meh return.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Like I said in the draft thread; draft Lundell, trade Strome.

Bowman has a tendency to trade young players who are deemed inessential before their ELC ends and they sign their first big contracts. The odds of Cat and Strome both surviving that were always lower than what some here might've believed, especially with Kirby able to handle center duties behind Toews.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
For me, it depends what we get back. A young LH top-4 D? I’d probably do that.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
For me, it depends what we get back. A young LH top-4 D? I’d probably do that.
Rarely do they get moved, but let's take a look.

These are the teams that could use Strome, plus the young top 4 lhd they have:

Boston: Urho Vaakanainen?

New Jersery: Ty Smith?

Detroit: Dennis Cholowski? Jared McIsaac?

Montreal: Alexander Romanov?

Ottawa: Thomas Chabot (untouchable), Erik Brannstrom? Jonny Tychonick?

Dallas: Miro Heiskanen (untouchable), Thomas Harley?

Minnesota: none

Nashville: none

Anaheim: Jacob Larsson? Brendan Guhle? Josh Mahura?

Arizona: well...they probably don't want Strome

Los Angeles: Tobias Bjornfot?

Vegas: Shea Theodore (won't be available), Nicolas Hague?

Columbus: Zach Werenski (untouchable)

San Jose: Artemi Knyazev?

So basically the only proven top 4 D options here are untouchable. You'd have to go after a prospect that you believe is a sure thing, but also one that the team you're trading with could do without.

Ty Smith, Erik Brannstrom, and Alexander Romanov probably have the highest upside. I highly doubt New Jersey would trade Smith for Strome, since they will want to bank on Hischier and Hughes being their centers. Montreal has Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

So Ottawa's Erik Brannstrom is the only option I could see.

EDIT: I forgot about Calgary. Strome for Noah Hanifin could be another option.

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If true... LMAO @ Musto. There were posters here who literally said Dach was his replacement when the Hawks drafted him too.

With that said, I'd rather him stay than to see him get traded for a "meh" return (that Sorokin rumor trade would've been... interesting). I still like Strome quite a bit and have acknowledged his improvement lately, especially at the dot.

Last edited:

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Hey looks like Bowman is finally listening to me!

We’d likely be keeping him around if we weren’t so screwed cap wise. But it seems they’ve made the decision to make signing Kubalik priority and Dach to be the 2nd line center.

Strome is offensively gifted, but being that slow, defensively inept, and soft as butter means he isn’t a core guy.

I don’t think we can take cap back in a trade, at least until we know if compliance buyouts are coming.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
No way that other teams didnt notice how ineffective Strome was for most of the year. Not expecting a big return, especially with him needing a contract. If it happens and the return is a big dissappointment ala joki/Nylander Stan should be fired.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Strome is available for what?
A Toilet Paper run?
He's reached his potential
Trade him for what ? ....... a 3rd round pick?

Reactions: Jagged Ice

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
On the main board .. fans at least think he's worth a fair bit more than a 3rd!
He has to return a solid 3/4 D or top six winger.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If true... LMAO @ Musto. There were posters here who literally said Dach was his replacement when the Hawks drafted him too.

With that said, I'd rather him stay than to see him get traded for a "meh" return (that Sorokin rumor trade would've been... interesting). I still like Strome quite a bit and have acknowledged his improvement lately, especially at the dot.

Me. Musto and I got into some good arguments over me believing this was Stan’s plan.

I still don’t know if it’s the right plan, but that will fully depend on the return.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Guessing this is Stan putting Kubalik over Strome and not wanting to move Saad or Matta. Also, probably means Seabrook’s money will be on the books.

So what’s next year’s lineup?

Saad-Toews-Kubalik
DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Caggiula-Barratt-Nylander
??-Carpenter-??

Keith-Boqvist
Maatta-Mitchell/Murphy
de Haan-Seabrook (and rotating cast of replacements for when they can’t play)

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i dont know stromes value right now but i think trading him for value would be the right option. Toews and Dach arent going anywhere. make the cap more flexible, improve LD or futures. Barrett coming up as well as a high draft pick.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
imagine if the nhl gives each team a compliance buyout and the hawks use it on someone other than seabrook

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Trading for Shaw, Dehaan, and Mastta and adding a good 10+ million in cap was such a dumbass decision. We shouldn’t be trading Strome or Kubalik and re-sign both but here we are

Ya, this basically boils down to those guys over Strome. Maybe Maatta gets cut loose via his low buyout, but the other money is still there and it is uncertain on how much they will play

Kubalik breaking out was just the final nail in the coffin for Strome here.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Guessing this is Stan putting Kubalik over Strome and not wanting to move Saad or Matta. Also, probably means Seabrook’s money will be on the books.

So what’s next year’s lineup?

Saad-Toews-Kubalik
DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Caggiula-Barratt-Nylander
??-Carpenter-??

Keith-Boqvist
Maatta-Mitchell/Murphy
de Haan-Seabrook (and rotating cast of replacements for when they can’t play)

If that is the lineup moving forward, then next year will again be a year w/o playoffs. I just do not see much chance for the current roster to do much more than what we have seen here lately. I would like to see some major roster changes (but I do not expect such) and I would like to see a new coach and a new GM (which i am almost certain we will not see). This team needs a pretty major shake-up to have a chance of being something. I do not see such a shake-up coming and, thus, I expect to see a slow team iced once more - a team that gets out-skated most every game, a team that struggles with forwards unable to contribute defensively (overly - for lack of speed), with modest at best fore-checking and back-checking (for lack of speed), with little net-front presence and losing more 50/50s's than they win - and a team out-hearted most nights--- I expect much the same as what we have had.

Sure, Cat should rebound some and Boquist should be better. Dach should be better than last season as well. Nylander? not sure. Further regression from Duncs? Seabrook?! But, overall, the roster you have in this post is not likely significantly different from what we had last year. Maybe a stitch better (at best)? Mitchell will be a nice add - if he signs. Might get Shaw back (might not). You do not have Zack Smith in there. Anyway, lets hope the roster is more robust than what this roster is.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
If that is the lineup moving forward, then next year will again be a year w/o playoffs. I just do not see much chance for the current roster to do much more than what we have seen here lately. I would like to see some major roster changes (but I do not expect such) and I would like to see a new coach and a new GM (which i am almost certain we will not see). This team needs a pretty major shake-up to have a chance of being something. I do not see such a shake-up coming and, thus, I expect to see a slow team iced once more - a team that gets out-skated most every game, a team that struggles with forwards unable to contribute defensively (overly - for lack of speed), with modest at best fore-checking and back-checking (for lack of speed), with little net-front presence and losing more 50/50s's than they win - and a team out-hearted most nights--- I expect much the same as what we have had.

Sure, Cat should rebound some and Boquist should be better. Dach should be better than last season as well. Nylander? not sure. Further regression from Duncs? Seabrook?! But, overall, the roster you have in this post is not likely significantly different from what we had last year. Maybe a stitch better (at best)? Mitchell will be a nice add - if he signs. Might get Shaw back (might not). You do not have Zack Smith in there. Anyway, lets hope the roster is more robust than what this roster is.

Who is exactly are all these slow players you are referring to? Systems wise or effort I can see but outside of Strome, Seabs and Maata there is no one slow.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Trading for Shaw, Dehaan, and Mastta and adding a good 10+ million in cap was such a dumbass decision. We shouldn’t be trading Strome or Kubalik and re-sign both but here we are
Shaw fine. CDH and Matta were both more effective than Strome this year. I don’t think the actual acquisitions have as much to do with Strome being on the block as Strome not stepping up and taking that 2c spot himself. The hawks lucking into Dach was what pushed Strome onto the hot seat and he didn’t do anything to pull himself out this season. He controlled his own destiny. Earlier in the season everyone wanted to trade Saad and keep Strome but now no one wants to move saad because he played his way out of the hot seat. Strome could have done the same. He has no one else to blame but himself for his standing on the totem pole here.

I think it’s lazy to blame others for his own failing. If Strome was really good this year, we could easily buy out Mattaa fit a contract for him. I just don’t think the front office wants to commit any kind of money/term to him right now and I can’t say I disagree. I’ve seen him play a decent amount here and I’m still not 100% sure how much I’d be comfortable paying him. If he’s not a center.... what do you really feel comfortable paying him on the wing?

Last edited:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Jets fan posting on our board about potential trades.

We’ve got a good crop of promising young LHD in Heinola, Niku, and Samberg (although none of established) plus some young forwards who haven’t had a chance in the top-6 like Roslovic, Vesalainen. Depending on how Little’s recovery looks, we may desperately need a 2C like Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad