News Article: Dylan Samberg has been injured in a car accident

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hope all who were injured pull through.

To be honest I wonder if Samberg will be facing any legal liability here.
Samberg didn't hit the 4 pedestrians that went to hospital. His truck hit the Buick that had initially hit the deer, the Buick was partially in the lane. Then the third vehicle (the Ford) hit the Buick which caused one of the vehicles to hit the 4 pedestrians (it didn't specify which vehicle hit them, though). I'd assume he was still in his vehicle when the third vehicle hit the first one and it said no alcohol was involved so I'm not sure what he would be legally liable for? I guess hitting the Buick but it didn't sound like any injuries resulted from that except to himself.

But knowing the litigious nature of America, who knows? Hope the 4 people pull through. Hope he is OK also, non life threatening injuries does not exclude them from being life altering.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Samberg didn't hit the 4 pedestrians that went to hospital. His truck hit the Buick that had initially hit the deer, the Buick was partially in the lane. Then the third vehicle (the Ford) hit the Buick which caused one of the vehicles to hit the 4 pedestrians (it didn't specify which vehicle hit them, though). I'd assume he was still in his vehicle when the third vehicle hit the first one and it said no alcohol was involved so I'm not sure what he would be legally liable for? I guess hitting the Buick but it didn't sound like any injuries resulted from that except to himself.

But knowing the litigious nature of America, who knows?

If he hit the Buick due to reckless driving and pushed it into an area that caused the Ford to hit it and the pedestrians in the chaos then he's at fault. Not saying that's what happened, not trying to add speculation, but the fact that he wasn't the one to specifically hit the pedestrians doesn't automatically mean he wasn't at fault.

At this point it doesn't help to speculate about anything. Hope for the best for all involved and wait for more information to come out.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If he hit the Buick due to reckless driving and pushed it into an area that caused the Ford to hit it and the pedestrians in the chaos then he's at fault. Not saying that's what happened, not trying to add speculation, but the fact that he wasn't the one to specifically hit the pedestrians doesn't automatically mean he wasn't at fault.

At this point it doesn't help to speculate about anything. Hope for the best for all involved and wait for more information to come out.

Definitely doesn't help to speculate. Not all of the details were in the article I read so people will naturally try to fill in the blanks. If a car is partially in a lane, though, it would not take much to clip it just by normal driving

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
You're allowed to hope that things work out for everyone involved but this is a hockey site so I think it is alright to post a comment that you hope that our player is OK in a situation like this.

It all really goes without saying. You hope the 4 people in critical condition pull through. You hope Dylan is OK, physically and mentally so that his career isn't derailed before it even starts. You hope no drugs, alcohol or distracted driving were involved and this was just a really unfortunate accident.

You're able to want all those things simultaneously and I don't think you need to come in on your high horse to try disparage someone making a remark about our player and their hope that things work out for him.

We'll obviously agree to disagree on this, but I don't think the fact that there are others that were involved is lost on anyone.
uh huh....

This is horrible. For the Jets this is ridiculous it was Sami Niku last year. We had a lot banking on him. Hope he’s okay.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Definitely doesn't help to speculate. Not all of the details were in the article I read so people will naturally try to fill in the blanks. If a car is partially in a lane, though, it would not take much to clip it just by normal driving
Agreed, it's possible another car was beside Samberg in the passing lane and he had nowhere to go to get buy that vehicle sticking out. Hope everyone makes out ok .

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
uh huh....
What? Do you really think you are better than everyone because we come here to get away from our serious lives and focus on hockey? Covid is wiping away hundreds of people and I try to relate news to how it affects me? Sorry I don't have the empathy for people I've never met and have no connection with personally the way you do. Your heart must break everyday at the thousands of people who die everyday. This is horrible news that 4 people got injured. That my first reaction after a long day is about something simple like hockey and a local team doesn't change that, but it's an honest response and I shouldn't be judge for it.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
What? Do you really think you are better than everyone because we come here to get away from our serious lives and focus on hockey? Covid is wiping away hundreds of people and I try to relate news to how it affects me? Sorry I don't have the empathy for people I've never met and have no connection with personally the way you do. Your heart must break everyday at the thousands of people who die everyday. This is horrible news that 4 people got injured. That my first reaction after a long day is about something simple like hockey and a local team doesn't change that, but it's an honest response and I shouldn't be judge for it.
not better than everyone. but i appear to have more of a conscious than others. thanks for asking, though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How many accidents happen everyday only reason we care about this one is because he is a Jets prospect. Therefore to deny the hockey element is dishonest.
If it was Joe Smith it would not have been posted here. Therefore there is nothing wrong with acknowledging the hockey element while acknowledging this is a real tragedy.

Reactions: jetsairforce

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Articles seem to suggest the drivers of the two vehicles that struck the Buick (one being Samberg) had minor injuries and were treated at the scene. Neither seem to require a hospital visit for further treatment which is good news. Though there could be psychological impacts from the incident that can last longer than a physical one.

The four pedestrians who where hit, two being the occupants of the Buick, were seriously injured and I hope they can recover from those injuries.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The sharks smell blood in the water.

Nancy and William Johnson are injured in pedestrian accident

Even if Samberg evades criminal charges, he could still be sued. NHL salaries are an inviting target.

So essentially, if anybody is found to be at fault, they could potentially be sued. This gives us no new information. To immediately jump to the thought of "they're only going to sue him because he's rich" before there's any hint of them suing and before we have any information as to whether it would be a valid lawsuit or not honestly feels pretty gross and comes off as a shot at the victims whose most recent update to my knowledge is that they have life threatening injuries. I don't know, just feels wrong to me.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So essentially, if anybody is found to be at fault, they could potentially be sued. This gives us no new information. To immediately jump to the thought of "they're only going to sue him because he's rich" before there's any hint of them suing and before we have any information as to whether it would be a valid lawsuit or not honestly feels pretty gross and comes off as a shot at the victims whose most recent update to my knowledge is that they have life threatening injuries. I don't know, just feels wrong to me.

It wasn't intended as a shot the victims. If anything, it's a shot at the US legal system and how it permits this sort of blatant "ambulance-chasing" advertising. Having said that, Samberg lives in that world. And we should be cognizant of the possibility of the serious legal problems (criminal or civil) that he could be facing as a result of this collision, especially if any of the victims die. The prevailing sentiment here of "phew, glad he wasn't injured looking forward to seeing him in training camp" may not be a realistic expectation of what's to come at this time. We have to wait and see how this is all going to play out.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
It wasn't intended as a shot the victims. If anything, it's a shot at the US legal system and how it permits this sort of blatant "ambulance-chasing" advertising. Having said that, Samberg lives in that world. And we should be cognizant of the possibility of the serious legal problems (criminal or civil) that he could be facing as a result of this collision, especially if any of the victims die. The prevailing sentiment here of "phew, glad he wasn't injured looking forward to seeing him in training camp" may not be a realistic expectation of what's to come at this time. We have to wait and see how this is all going to play out.
on the flip side, they should definitely be suing Samberg. we assume they went to hospital. if they don't have insurance, there's a huge cost to it. or, perhaps their health insurance requires that they sue him

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
on the flip side, they should definitely be suing Samberg. we assume they went to hospital. if they don't have insurance, there's a huge cost to it. or, perhaps their health insurance requires that they sue him
Only if he's at fault, at which point his auto insurance pays or they settle.

If he's not at fault, then their insurance pays. If they don't have insurance, they pay put of pocket.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

If he's not at fault, then their insurance pays. If they don't have insurance, they pay put of pocket.

Samberg's insurance would cover the legal part and often they'll just settle.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Agreed, they certainly have to look into their options with a lawyer. It's the online advertising that I found odious.

Samberg is certainly at fault for the initial crash. Driving into a stopped car, even if it is partially in his lane, is simply careless driving. This wasn't on some narrow backroad with blind corners or anything. This is a major divided highway with two lanes each direction and from what I could see on Google maps, excellent visibility along the entire stretch where they say the collision occurred. Your job as a driver is to be paying attention at all times and have full control of your vehicle. I don't buy into the premise that this could be just one of those unavoidable accidents that just happen on occasion.

Whether he was texting or otherwise distracted or driving too fast for the range of his headlights, he made a horrible mistake that may yet cost people their lives. Hopefully, the police got the black box information from both vehicles that crashed into the stopped car. They should also subpoena their phone records to see if there was texting at the time. If he was doing something he shouldn't have, I've got no problem with throwing the book at him. Even if he is a Jets prospect.

None

Feb 22, 2012
And hereee comes TMZJets.

The law "article" posted was pretty much just an advertisement of services, it's really much adieu about nothing thus far. Anything aside from well wishes for the people involved is really gross.

Samberg is certainly at fault for the initial crash. Driving into a stopped car, even if it is partially in his lane, is simply careless driving.

Entirely speculation, and potentially libelous to a professional athlete where public perception can and does affect their earning potential.

This wasn't on some narrow backroad with blind corners or anything. This is a major divided highway with two lanes each direction and from what I could see on Google maps, excellent visibility along the entire stretch where they say the collision occurred.

Careful using Google maps as an indicator of clear views. Google Maps cameras are mounted at a height of 8.2ft; that's about 2-5ft higher than most personal vehicles and doesn't give a clear indication of blind spots, nor depth perception.

The speculation here that a crime occurred is f***ing weird for a sports forum.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Agreed, they certainly have to look into their options with a lawyer. It's the online advertising that I found odious.

Samberg is certainly at fault for the initial crash. Driving into a stopped car, even if it is partially in his lane, is simply careless driving. This wasn't on some narrow backroad with blind corners or anything. This is a major divided highway with two lanes each direction and from what I could see on Google maps, excellent visibility along the entire stretch where they say the collision occurred. Your job as a driver is to be paying attention at all times and have full control of your vehicle. I don't buy into the premise that this could be just one of those unavoidable accidents that just happen on occasion.

Whether he was texting or otherwise distracted or driving too fast for the range of his headlights, he made a horrible mistake that may yet cost people their lives. Hopefully, the police got the black box information from both vehicles that crashed into the stopped car. They should also subpoena their phone records to see if there was texting at the time. If he was doing something he shouldn't have, I've got no problem with throwing the book at him. Even if he is a Jets prospect.
He can be at fault without being negligent. Sometimes accidents just happen.

Here we have no fault insurance, but it isn't like that everywhere. It could be determined that he was X% at fault. Many places in the states have a litigious system where fault is assessed through the courts

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The law "article" posted was pretty much just an advertisement of services, it's really much adieu about nothing thus far. Anything aside from well wishes for the people involved is really gross.

Entirely speculation, and potentially libelous to a professional athlete where public perception can and does affect their earning potential.

Careful using Google maps as an indicator of clear views. Google Maps cameras are mounted at a height of 8.2ft; that's about 2-5ft higher than most personal vehicles and doesn't give a clear indication of blind spots, nor depth perception.

The speculation here that a crime occurred is f***ing weird for a sports forum.

If the mods consider something to be libelous, they can and will delete it. And nobody has said a crime has occurred. That is still to be determined. Good point about the Google cameras, though. They don't give an exact representation of what a driver would see.

Edit: I will go a step further and recant my view that this is careless driving. For all I know, that could be a legal term in that jurisdiction with a very precise definition. So, I can't say that he is guilty of it in that sense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad