Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's demonstrated he can be a good defender in the NHL. The coach just doesn't like how he plays the game. Does he have some things he still needs to improve on? Absolutely, but he's not going to get an opportunity to do that here.
That's it exactly. AV does not care for the type of game that he plays. Plain and simple. Which is mystifying when one considers that he seems to be enamored with what he sees on the ice form Girardi and now apparently Holden as well.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
at this point...I just hope the best for him, forget he was a high draft pick... I dont fu****king care if he's traded, and I even hope he's traded to a team like Edmonton, Winnipeg or anywere were he'll get top 6 ice time, I dont expect him to became a good top 4, unique kind of player anymore...

With Beuekeboom here, and AV still dont trust him or give him a roster spot, he will never get one...

trade him before ruin him, Mclrath act with class and professionalism since drafted by this organisation, he dedin't deserve this treatment, hope his agent can notice that too and ask for a trade, it might be the best for him, this saga need to stop now

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
And we're rehashing the draft again...

I really hoped we were done with that. Should have known better

Lol are you kidding? If Wrath leaves this organization this season for a pick, this draft will be lamented for remainder of history as we currently know it. The only way this will be forgotten is by cataclysmic events that wipe the record clean.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Yes,yes Tara F'ing Senko praytell good sir how many other NHL teams failed to draft St.Tarasenko and thusly hold their manhoods cheap whilst St.Tarasenko skates by? Can you say with 100% certainty the Rangers would have in fact drafted St.Tarasenko?

I was one of the people really pulling for Tarasenko with that pick, but I agree 100% with this. Too many fans have been blaming McI for not being Tarasenko for years.

I still maintain that McI will be seen as a good top 4 d-man with his next team as early as next season.

Also, I loved the Henry V reference, hahaha.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Still not sure why Holden is viewed to be a such a mainstay that McILrath cannot get into a game.

alain-vigneault-2011-5-10-19-30-14.jpg

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's it exactly. AV does not care for the type of game that he plays. Plain and simple. Which is mystifying when one considers that he seems to be enamored with what he sees on the ice form Girardi and now apparently Holden as well.

I don't know. I think AV has always had this sort of unwavering loyalty to veteran players that fit his idea of what players ought to be. He seems to have very little patience for youngsters unless they're his kind of player, or they're simply too good to keep on the bench. I just wish they'd give the kid a chance elsewhere. This isn't doing anything to help his development.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know. I think AV has always had this sort of unwavering loyalty to veteran players that fit his idea of what players ought to be. He seems to have very little patience for youngsters unless they're his kind of player, or they're simply too good to keep on the bench. I just wish they'd give the kid a chance elsewhere. This isn't doing anything to help his development.
I always go back to his arrogance. He knows what to do and his way and it will work no matter what. Holden has been ok, but to keep trotting him out on the top pair? Really? And now Girardi gets to go back to being a top-pairing defenseman? Meanwhile he does not even give the kid a sniff.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Coaches prefer vets because they don't need to do any babysitting with basic issues taught to them. A rookie has to force his way into the lineup by being so much better that the coach doesn't mind some babysitting.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Coaches prefer vets because they don't need to do any babysitting with basic issues taught to them. A rookie has to force his way into the lineup by being so much better that the coach doesn't mind some babysitting.

kinda seems lazy to me if the rookie has played better.

either way..for the most part i dont have many issues with the guys AV is writing into his lineup with the exception of McIlrath consistently sitting and Clendening coming out at all (ive really liked his game).

i do have usage issues though....

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I always go back to his arrogance. He knows what to do and his way and it will work no matter what. Holden has been ok, but to keep trotting him out on the top pair? Really? And now Girardi gets to go back to being a top-pairing defenseman? Meanwhile he does not even give the kid a sniff.

I agree for the most part, but in this case I think he has basically 3 bottom-pairing RHD at his disposal, and a guy who can play his off side in Holden. Can't really blame him for throwing out Girardi on the top pairing given the options available, but the fact that McIlrath didn't get more of a look when both Klein and Girardi were out is just sad.

Is that trait unique to AV? Don't most coaches have the same MO?

Loyalty to veterans? No, of course not. However I think AV goes a step too far in the sense he's seemingly unable to admit that a player is hurting the lineup more than he's helping it.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
AV new boy is Nick Holden, now that Tanner Glass is in the minors. He will give him PP time, PK time and put him on the top pair. Its a shame because Nick Holden on a good team is a number 7 dman

TurgePurge*

Holden played the 18th most even strength minutes last year. More than Chara, Weber, Seabrook, Hedman. Getting that guy for a 4th when he has 2 cheap years on his deal is just good business. If they can iron out some of the bad habits from Roy's let the goalie do the work system we gucci.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
AV new boy is Nick Holden, now that Tanner Glass is in the minors. He will give him PP time, PK time and put him on the top pair. Its a shame because Nick Holden on a good team is a number 7 dman

Nick Holden isn't even bad which makes me even more angrier re: his usage. Like, Girardi is a bad hockey player, period. But Holden is more than fine in the bottom 4 on the left side. Not at 24 mins a game on the right side. It's ridiculous.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Holden played the 18th most even strength minutes last year. More than Chara, Weber, Seabrook, Hedman. Getting that guy for a 4th when he has 2 cheap years on his deal is just good business. If they can iron out some of the bad habits from Roy's let the goalie do the work system we gucci.

A lot of Holden's glaring flaws seem to be from him being on his offside. Lots of failed clears on his backhand, bad passes, inability to accept passes, bad keep-ins, etc. He looks uncomfortable.

TurgePurge*

Not to mention, if we buy out Girardi and protect Klein we need a dman to expose who fills the GP requirement.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

A coach has only a limited amount of time to work. If he spends 2 hours on Mcilrath, that's 2 hours away from the rest of the team. If you spend 2 hours teaching something everyone can learn, that's an effective use of your time. When you spend hours every week training a rookie to do what everyone else already knows, it detracts from the rest of the team, and causes damage to the squad as a whole.

It's one thing to incest in a player who significantly outperforms the competition. It's another if you have a comparable vet and the rookie doesn't have top-6F/top-3D potential.

This is why Lindberg needed to stay inHartford a year aftet he was NHL ready, then got benched adter we got Eric Staal, and why Hrivik is there now despite looking solid in preseason and now great in Hartford.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I agree for the most part, but in this case I think he has basically 3 bottom-pairing RHD at his disposal, and a guy who can play his off side in Holden. Can't really blame him for throwing out Girardi on the top pairing given the options available, but the fact that McIlrath didn't get more of a look when both Klein and Girardi were out is just sad.

Loyalty to veterans? No, of course not. However I think AV goes a step too far in the sense he's seemingly unable to admit that a player is hurting the lineup more than he's helping it.

The McIlrath situation is compounded by the things you listed. Most notably that the Rangers are razor thin at RD as it is, and Girardi's game has been steadily slipping for years now.

That said, I think AV's treatment of young players and personnel deployment in general has become a bit of a caricature around here. You'd think Vigneault, who helped put together arguably the two best concurrent seasons in Rangers history, is some sort of simpleton dolt if you strictly read the hfboards viewpoint. The guy is a good coach who is perhaps a bit too stubborn in his worldview of the game. I dont have a major problem with that when, I feel, his worldview of the game is exactly in line with where the sport/league is going.

People always want to make it a Girardi vs. McIlrath argument. Im fairly sure that if AV had 3 better choices on the right side, guys that could skate, play with skill, and move the puck, he'd be quite content sitting them both.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

either way..for the most part i dont have many issues with the guys AV is writing into his lineup with the exception of McIlrath consistently sitting and Clendening coming out at all (ive really liked his game).

i do have usage issues though....

it's lazy because NHL coaches love "reliability". how many times do they say (usually in regards to a **** player) "we know what we're getting every night" "we know what he brings" and usually that reliability is actually "he sucks but he sucks consistently and quietly". Explosive rookies don't get spots over **** veterans all the time because of this stupid logic and it's one of the things ruining the sport.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
it's lazy because NHL coaches love "reliability". how many times do they say (usually in regards to a **** player) "we know what we're getting every night" "we know what he brings" and usually that reliability is actually "he sucks but he sucks consistently and quietly". Explosive rookies don't get spots over **** veterans all the time because of this stupid logic and it's one of the things ruining the sport.

Reliability=lower risk for the coach

Coaches are more concerned about their jobs than putting together the best roster. Honestly, it's a lot easier to explain consistent mediocre play from a vet than some dumb mistakes from a rookie, even if on the whole the rookie is better. Not everyone is a 20-25 year old is a stat nerd from HF. Most hockey people are old farts that think shot blocking and toffness is the most important thing for D-men,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad