Player Discussion Dylan McIlrath - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
McI had a poor pre-season. That's why he's not in the Top 6. This time around, I don't think it had anything to do with AV disliking him.

Don't get me wrong...I like McI as much as the next guy, but all of this talk about McI deserving to be in the Top 6 has me wondering...what the hell were people watching during the pre-season? The last game he played...the game where he really needed to prove himself as a go-to guy...he fumbled the puck multiple times and looked plain slow.

Now that we have Klein day-to-day and Girardi possibly week-to-week, McI might get his chance to upright the ship. If he gets the chance, I hope he does well and makes it difficult for AV to leave him in the press box. I think that's what most of us are hoping for.

The thought that he was fine in the pre-season and deserved to be Top 6 is wrong, though.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
McI had a poor pre-season. That's why he's not in the Top 6. This time around, I don't think it had anything to do with AV disliking him.

Don't get me wrong...I like McI as much as the next guy, but all of this talk about McI deserving to be in the Top 6 has me wondering...what the hell were people watching during the pre-season? The last game he played...the game where he really needed to prove himself as a go-to guy...he fumbled the puck multiple times and looked plain slow.

Now that we have Klein day-to-day and Girardi possibly week-to-week, McI might get his chance to upright the ship. If he gets the chance, I hope he does well and makes it difficult for AV to leave him in the press box. I think that's what most of us are hoping for.

The thought that he was fine in the pre-season and deserved to be Top 6 is wrong, though.

hurry ! run ! run now. ill cover for you but you need to go. quickly.

they will come for you with their pitch forks and fire. they will do things to you that cannot be spoken.

hurry, you dont have much time.....

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
He had a poor pre-season but that doesn't justify the other poor D decisions, and Nick Holden seems to be a guy with an average reputation leagewide getting leaned on way too heavily by AV. Giving Dylan a shot over misplayed journeymen makes a lot of sense, especially this early in the season.

With G out we'll get a taste of how Dylan can handle a spot.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He had a poor pre-season but that doesn't justify the other poor D decisions, and Nick Holden seems to be a guy with an average reputation leagewide getting leaned on way too heavily by AV. Giving Dylan a shot over misplayed journeymen makes a lot of sense, especially this early in the season.

With G out we'll get a taste of how Dylan can handle a spot.

I'm not one of the guys who thinks Holden has been bad. I think he's been fine. :dunno:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
McIlrath had a mixed bag of games. He was good for the 2 games after the 1st game against the Islanders, and then had a bad last game. He still should have been in the lineup, but his chance is now and has to take advantage

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Aka the 4 players Kreiderman likes hating on but dont dare criticise the 3 guys he loves lol.

I have criticised Kreider in the past when he was **** too. No player is without blame during a season, but the lengths people go to, just to defend their favourites is ridiculous.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
so why did Skjei get a top 6 spot after having a much worse pre season?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have criticised Kreider in the past when he was **** too. No player is without blame during a season, but the lengths people go to, just to defend their favourites is ridiculous.

Did you call for the team to trade Kreider for the first 40 games of last season? Have you called for us to trade Nash for the last year? No you have not.

Im okay with you having your favorites. Its good you actually support some of our Ranger players but your hating our other players in so many threads gets old.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
so why did Skjei get a top 6 spot after having a much worse pre season?

Skjei isn't Top 6. He's #7. If Klein weren't injured, Skjei wouldn't be playing.

If you're asking why he is #7 and Dylan is #8...it probably comes down to skating ability. Skjei has a greater ability to recover from his mistakes than does Mcilrath. But you're right, they both had a bad pre-season. Hard for me to say that one was worse than the other.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did you call for the team to trade Kreider for the first 40 games of last season? Have you called for us to trade Nash for the last year? No you have not.

Im okay with you having your favorites. Its good you actually support some of our Ranger players but your hating our other players in so many threads gets old.

I don't hate any players. When I suggest us trading Zuccarello or Miller, it's because of the return. Not because I necessarily want them gone.

And I am definitely not a fan of Nash, but when some people suggest to expose him for the expansion draft, I just cannot understand why they think that is good asset management

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't hate any players. When I suggest us trading Zuccarello or Miller, it's because of the return. Not because I necessarily want them gone.

And I am definitely not a fan of Nash, but when some people suggest to expose him for the expansion draft, I just cannot understand why they think that is good asset management

You have made dozens if not hundreds of trade posts since June. If you can show me 3 trade posts you made saying we should trade Kreider or Nash I will say I was wrong and apologize.

I do not think badly of you having loyalty to a Ranger player. I think loyalty is often a positive trait within reason.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Reason to play McIlrath is to see what he is. That is still something of an open question. Unfortunately the coach prefers to play vets whom we know aren't great.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If this really is a "transition" season, then maybe we shouldn't be playing Holden at all, and maybe we should try and see what our prospect RHD who has shown he can skate at the NHL level can do with a consistent spot in the lineup.

[spoil]The Rangers FO and coaching staff don't think this is a transition year, that's why they've been playing Holden on the right, and Girardi at all[/spoil]

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You have made dozens if not hundreds of trade posts since June. If you can show me 3 trade posts you made saying we should trade Kreider or Nash I will say I was wrong and apologize.

I do not think badly of you having loyalty to a Ranger player. I think loyalty is often a positive trait within reason.

You realize I am not bernmeister, right? :laugh:

The thing is, we have the depth on offense to make a trade for defensive help. Stepan has a pending clause, so it is not clever to trade him (see Philly). Zibanejad is a new player, we won't trade him any time soon. That leaves Nash, Kreider, Miller, Zuccarello, Hayes.

I am all for trading Nash if the return is good enough, but seeing people propose a Nash for Shattenkirk trade is just ridiculous. Giving up Nash for 1 year of Shattenkirk is not something I want to do.

Anyway, let's not get into this too much. We all have our favourites since that's human nature, but there are no players on this team I truly dislike

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You realize I am not bernmeister, right? :laugh:

The thing is, we have the depth on offense to make a trade for defensive help. Stepan has a pending clause, so it is not clever to trade him (see Philly). Zibanejad is a new player, we won't trade him any time soon. That leaves Nash, Kreider, Miller, Zuccarello, Hayes.

I am all for trading Nash if the return is good enough, but seeing people propose a Nash for Shattenkirk trade is just ridiculous. Giving up Nash for 1 year of Shattenkirk is not something I want to do.

Anyway, let's not get into this too much. We all have our favourites since that's human nature, but there are no players on this team I truly dislike

You are right we all do have our favorites. I'm okay with favorites since I view supporting our players as a positive trait. I just do not like when we go from supporting favorites to hating on others that are not favorites. I'm fine with letting things go. Have a good night. :)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
McIlrath has always improved when given stable playing time. It's a shame because I think he'd do well here, but I'm guessing that we'll see a move made since Girardi will be out with the hip issue, and we don't know when Klein will be healthy.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If this really is a "transition" season, then maybe we shouldn't be playing Holden at all, and maybe we should try and see what our prospect RHD who has shown he can skate at the NHL level can do with a consistent spot in the lineup.

[spoil]The Rangers FO and coaching staff don't think this is a transition year, that's why they've been playing Holden on the right, and Girardi at all[/spoil]

I dont think the front office will label it a "transition" season until they know they're missing the playoffs...

Ironically, Girardi in actually helps the cause of not being in the playoffs.

I'm not able to wrap my head around this conundrum

TurgePurge*

I'd offer the kings Mcilrath for Forbort. Similar pedigree guys who probably aren't NHLers but need a clean slate...grab it...in order to possibly stick. Kings need to protect their goalie better.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
McIlrath has had a problem defending 1-on-1 against speedy, skilled forwards from the start, and he's still having this problem. This is not acceptable. A defensive defenseman has nobody to cover for him, he's the last line of defense before the goalie.

Dylan needs to practice 1-on-1 against forwards a lot. Not just in practice, but on his own time. Get a rookie like Buchnevich who could use half an hour of extra practice time since he's new to North America, and stay on the ice for 30 minutes after practice doing 1-on-1 drills. It would work wonders for McIlrath.

TurgePurge*

Whats great is when people think that since Mcilrath is big he's a stay at home defenseman. The guy has made horrible reads in the neutral zone many times and runs around in the d zone probably more than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad