Player Discussion Dylan Holloway Pt. 3 - '22-'23

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Unfortunately I think the most realistic candidate to replace is Kane... if he either doesn't seem engaged and/or is too banged up. But that's not a great situation because this team is gonna need Kane going if they want to win imo. Maybe Janmark or Brown if they struggle. Or Carrick/Ryan and you move someone else to C.

Though during a long playoff run somebody will inevitably miss games so even if he's not in the lineup game 1 at least he seems like he'll be capable of stepping in when that happens.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Something, for me (and I'm sure I'm not breaking new ground), Holloway needs to find a way to be more effective with his shot. He has a good shot, but at the NHL level he'll have to change the angle or disguise it more, so it can be more effective.

Basically the thing that could beat AHL goalies, might not accomplish the same thing at the NHL level.

Either way, I've really liked his play since he's been back, I'm fine with him being a long-ish term part of this team, I think there's still improvement to be found.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Holloway has looked like a completely different player since the callup. I don't think he'll play much in the playoffs but he'll be Foegele's replacement next season.

Reactions: McDoused

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Holloway has looked like a completely different player since the callup. I don't think he'll play much in the playoffs but he'll be Foegele's replacement next season.

I disagree, he has looked good during his earlier call ups too. Just finishing more of his chances now. He is one of the best 12 forwards on this team, he should definitely be playing consistently in the playoffs. Unfortunate if he doesn't play because he isn't on the PK

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I disagree, he has looked good during his earlier call ups too. Just finishing more of his chances now. He is one of the best 12 forwards on this team, he should definitely be playing consistently in the playoffs. Unfortunate if he doesn't play because he isn't on the PK
Holloway was contributing nothing before this last call up.

Reactions: nally and TB12

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Holloway was contributing nothing before this last call up.
I also thought Holloway looked fine earlier. There is more to his game than offense. He is one of the most physical players on the team, has been very good on the forecheck, the team has excellent possession numbers while he was on the ice and actually his individual rates for generating shots, scoring chances, and high danger scoring chances are all quite good.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I also thought Holloway looked fine earlier. There is more to his game than offense. He is one of the most physical players on the team, has been very good on the forecheck, the team has excellent possession numbers while he was on the ice and actually his individual rates for generating shots, scoring chances, and high danger scoring chances are all quite good.
Generated all these chances but had zero results. If you aren’t producing at all and you aren’t contributing on special teams you probably don’t have a spot in the lineup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Generated all these chances but had zero results. If you aren’t producing at all and you aren’t contributing on special teams you probably don’t have a spot in the lineup.
By this assessment Ryan Smyth shouldn't have been afforded a spot on a team because he wasn't cashing immediately. Nobody was scoring at the time playing with the likes of Connor Brown .

Add my comment to the list that Holloway was doing fine. its hard to find traction in sporadic usage in bottomsix.

Its interesting that the Oilers will spend years trying to get complete nothings like Yamamoto going, and giving topsix constant looks but with Holloway its sorry you're sliced tilipia...

Holloway has a much higher end than someone like Yams that this org for some reason bent over for.

Also within a 10 game stretch starting in November Holloway scored 3 goals. Not like he wasn't getting anything done.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
By this assessment Ryan Smyth shouldn't have been afforded a spot on a team because he wasn't cashing immediately. Nobody was scoring at the time playing with the likes of Connor Brown .

Add my comment to the list that Holloway was doing fine. its hard to find traction in sporadic usage in bottomsix.

Its interesting that the Oilers will spend years trying to get complete nothings like Yamamoto going, and giving topsix constant looks but with Holloway its sorry you're sliced tilipia...

Holloway has a much higher end than someone like Yams that this org for some reason bent over for.

Also within a 10 game stretch starting in November Holloway scored 3 goals. Not like he wasn't getting anything done.
Lol blame Brown.

Ryan Smyth was putting up points by this time in Holloways career but sure. Were the Oilers cup contenders at that point? (I don’t remember)

This isn’t some crazy hate on Holloway. 1 point in 20 games and zero contributions on special teams usually makes a rookie lose his spot on a team contending for the cup.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Holloway's lack of production this year may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It should allow the team to sign him to a cheap deal with significant potential that he outplays his contract. They could go for a two year term in the $850-900K range.

In the end he does have 5 goals and 8 points in 36 games while being a positive player. If he sits during the playoffs that is not unreasonable. If he plays like he has of late he can help the team. But at some point you need to give him a chance to grow.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Holloway's lack of production this year may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It should allow the team to sign him to a cheap deal with significant potential that he outplays his contract. They could go for a two year term in the $850-900K range.

In the end he does have 5 goals and 8 points in 36 games while being a positive player.
but I’m talking about his production before the call up.

Anyways he has looked good since the call up. It would be sweet if he turned the corner permanently.

A cheap resign will be nice as well. (As long as he doesn’t blow the doors off in the playoffs) ;)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He won't play much in the playoffs barring injury or extreme ineffectiveness from a 4th liner (I think Ryan will be the 13th forward actually) and, you're right, he's going to play the Foegele role next season.

Reactions: TB12

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

A better example than Smyth who actually produced at a young age might be Zach Hyman. At 22 he was a senior at Michigan. It was three seasons later that he established himself more fully with teh Leafs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Anyways he has looked good since the call up. It would be sweet if he turned the corner permanently.

A cheap resign will be nice as well. (As long as he doesn’t blow the doors off in the playoffs) ;)
As I said in my edit it would not surprise me that he does not get much time in the playoffs.

I brought up his current point totals because earlier on he was generating things but did not have much to show. With a young guy like him that can turn around in terms of results. If he had not been generating anything that's when you really need to be concerned, or if he was bleeding goals.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Even if he does I don't think that earns him a massive raise.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Too many plays died on his stick on his earlier call ups. He's not losing possession like he was before. Either by losing control of the puck or errand passes. These 2 things have really improved

Reactions: bucks_oil

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I've been a Holloway fan but was fully ready to move on for the right return at the deadline... still wish we had in a way (imagine what a Broberg + Holloway + Ceci for an RD return might have looked like)... but I also agree he's here and we hope for the best... he certainly looks to have improved.

I think the AHL time helped, sure, but mostly to remind him that he can score... he's had a couple really tough years injury wise. It can take time to recover (mentally) especially for young guys.

As @Fourier said, Smyth is a bad example for production. By the time he was 22 he had already scored 61 goals in 198 games, including a 39 goal season at 21. However worth noting... he followed that up by busting his knee and having surgery in the offseason following his 22 year season (only scoring 20 in 65) and then followed that up with a pedestrian (frightened) season of 13 in 71. And then of course became the perennial 30 goal scorer we all loved. Still, in early days was already on another tier than Holloway, but it illustrates the toll injuries can take on a young player.

But... Holloway doesn't hurt you much on the ice, so a young player like this deserves a lot of leash, just to see what he might become. It will be nice to see what he can bring in the playoffs... he strikes me as the gamer type.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lol blame Brown.

Ryan Smyth was putting up points by this time in Holloways career but sure. Were the Oilers cup contenders at that point? (I don’t remember)

This isn’t some crazy hate on Holloway. 1 point in 20 games and zero contributions on special teams usually makes a rookie lose his spot on a team contending for the cup.
Exactly.
This really isnt that complicated. @K1984 phrased it perfectly.
Holloway is high risk low reward and he doesnt even PK.

Its not about not liking the player or liking another player more. Thankfully Knoblauch isnt going to partake in that emotional nonsense.

Considering the stakes its hard to rationalize putting in Holloway at the expense of a solid vet winger who PK's and doesnt give up anything.
Holloways time will come...no doubt in my mind. Too much there not to like but this isnt the time.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol blame Brown.

Why wouldn't somebody blame Brown. For 2/3 of the season NOBODY was getting pts with Connor Kill play Brown. Not even our topsix players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad