Player Discussion Dylan Holloway Pt. 3 - '22-'23

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know this post is old but who benches a player and then scratches him repeatedly because a rook has made a few turnovers?

I expect and want young gifted players to be making mistakes like that because it shows they are taking gambles in their game, in regular season games.

By no means should you yank rook players off the ice because they make perceived mistakes. Its part of the risk/benefit inherent in players that can make plays. That a guy like Holloway is already around that edge is positive. But its not if the coach is going to pull his minutes because he's taking chances trying to make plays. He won't learn to make those plays here at this level unless given a chance.

Does he though? To me he lacks age and experience. Thats it. Rooks make mistakes. Is this now not an acceptable thing?

The way Woodcroft (or Oilers management) handled Holloway last year was abysmal. Guy was basically neutered after his first mistake in like the first game. He was pretty much scared to do anything all year. And then to make matters worse, he was given like 7 minutes of ice time to try and make an impact. Hope Holloway gets some rope this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mistakes will be made, but in the Oilers situation, they just couldn't afford them anymore. If they were leading the division and safely in a playoff spot the entire year, then, sure. Good and great teams can afford to do that,and the rook gets his chances. Unfortunately, when you've backed yourself into a dark corner and need every available point due to other circumstances (shitty goaltending, some bad defence, shitty goaltending), that luxury can no longer be afforded, and usually a more trusted vet gets the call. Just the way it is. But instead of still complaining about what it was, this team now needs to focus on what's ahead, and how to get the most out of this player.
I disagree, again, because finishing first is not the goal. Nor does it matter. It matters that you make playoffs in a divisional spot preferably, and 2nd place is fine. The Vegas series didn't even come down to that, the Oilers lost game 6 at home, they lost multiple games in the playoffs at home. In playoffs home or road hardly matters.

During regular season you absolutely should grow the young players, thats when you do it. The Oilers were making the playoffs. To me that wasn't in doubt.

Heres something, in preseason I selected that Oilers would finish with more than 104pts making playoffs comfortably and possibly first place (I thought 2nd) and they finished with 109pts. The Oilers in McDrai window always finish strong.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I disagree, again, because finishing first is not the goal. Nor does it matter. It matters that you make playoffs in a divisional spot preferably, and 2nd place is fine. The Vegas series didn't even come down to that, the Oilers lost game 6 at home, they lost multiple games in the playoffs at home. In playoffs home or road hardly matters.

During regular season you absolutely should grow the young players, thats when you do it. The Oilers were making the playoffs. To me that wasn't in doubt.

Heres something, in preseason I selected that Oilers would finish with more than 104pts making playoffs comfortably and possibly first place (I thought 2nd) and they finished with 109pts. The Oilers in McDrai window always finish strong.
You're missing my point, Making the playoffs is the goal, not necessarily finishing first, and I never said otherwise. The issue is that for a big period of last year, we were in the very real danger of not qualifying for the playoffs, and we needed to have a big spike in wins to finally feel secure in that. It's not like we went wire to wire in a spot.

This is really starting to sound like the Puljujarvi/Yakupov arguments.:help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The regular and preseason is where the mistakes are to be made to help the players learn so that when the playoffs roll around they will be less likely to be made. I 100% agree with Drivesaitl that Holloway had way too short of a leash last season.
I'm not even convinced he was ready to be IN the NHL at times last year, but they had depth issues, no question.

I'm hoping having Ekholm from the start gives the team this breathing room

If Lavoie and Holloway are making some costly mistakes but we are still winning the games, they will still play. It's easy for us to demand that our favorite prospects get a real chance but coaches need wins and they have the worst job security in the league
Solid post and 100 % agree, especially with the bolded. Some posters on here think it was a cakewalk for us during the season. i think they're forgetting it was tough sledding for quite some time until we got our footing. Las Vegas may have won the cup this past year, but the one before, they ran into injuries, played badly, and then f***ed around until it was too late to make that last push to get in.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The way Woodcroft (or Oilers management) handled Holloway last year was abysmal. Guy was basically neutered after his first mistake in like the first game. He was pretty much scared to do anything all year. And then to make matters worse, he was given like 7 minutes of ice time to try and make an impact. Hope Holloway gets some rope this year.
I hope the rest of the team makes sure the coaching staff has the ability to play him through the mistakes. That didn’t happen last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You're missing my point, Making the playoffs is the goal, not necessarily finishing first, and I never said otherwise. The issue is that for a big period of last year, we were in the very real danger of not qualifying for the playoffs, and we needed to have a big spike in wins to finally feel secure in that. It's not like we went wire to wire in a spot.

This is really starting to sound like the Puljujarvi/Yakupov arguments.:help:
I really don't share the view. At no point did I really figure the team was missing playoffs. Did you?

Any team with McDrai in it and several other players that were hot were going to plow through teams once it mattered. Once they figured taking it more seriously.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not even convinced he was ready to be IN the NHL at times last year, but they had depth issues, no question.

Solid post and 100 % agree, especially with the bolded. Some posters on here think it was a cakewalk for us during the season. i think they're forgetting it was tough sledding for quite some time until we got our footing. Las Vegas may have won the cup this past year, but the one before, they ran into injuries, played badly, and then f***ed around until it was too late to make that last push to get in.
The Oilers were in a playoff spot from early to mid January on. Nobody is ever guaranteed a playoff spot in the first half of seasons. The Oilers had around 3 months where it crystal clear they were making playoffs. Woody was still shortening bench until the last game. its what he does.

The team could start out with 10-0-0 record and he will still be playing it tight on minutes. Its what he's shown.

Even when the Oilers heated up and were beating everybody in sight Woody was still employing a short bench and shorting some players minutes. Theres no point at which any of that changed.

We just finished a season in which the Oilers had one of the best records in NHL sitting nicely in 6th place and only 4 pts out of 2nd in League. So for sure there was time and opportunity to give rooks and prospects some minutes. That didn't materialize.

Reactions: Oil53

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Given the lack of depth, he will get opportunities in the top 9. It's a question whether he will take advantage. There was a time everybody complained about Jay Poo not getting opportunities. Then they put him on McDavid's wing and it turned out he could not keep up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The regular and preseason is where the mistakes are to be made to help the players learn so that when the playoffs roll around they will be less likely to be made. I 100% agree with Drivesaitl that Holloway had way too short of a leash last season.
Exactly Bryan. Its the most reasonable view that Woody was not using players adequately, and not developing players adequately, and was instead riding his major horses to every point that could be squeezed out of the standings. You'll remember myself and others clamoring for other players to be played the last two weeks of the season, and to even give the horses some rest.

The team hit a wall in the playoffs as they always do. In the playoffs the teams with the most men on board ready to play are often the ones to prevail.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm hoping having Ekholm from the start gives the team this breathing room

If Lavoie and Holloway are making some costly mistakes but we are still winning the games, they will still play. It's easy for us to demand that our favorite prospects get a real chance but coaches need wins and they have the worst job security in the league
Look at the Oilers record in the standings this past season and tell me there was no breathing room. Only 5 clubs in the whole league finished with more pts.

You'll seldom find circumstance with more Breathing room. A 109pt season is exactly where I would expect to find breathing room in which to play other players. We made the playoffs by 17pts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Look at the Oilers record in the standings this past season and tell me there was no breathing room. Only 5 clubs in the whole league finished with more pts.

You'll seldom find circumstance with more Breathing room. A 109pt season is exactly where I would expect to find breathing room in which to play other players. We made the playoffs by 17pts.
That lead was largely built up by the blazing finish to the season, while Holloway was injured or could be assumed to not be 100%. For most of the first half of the season the team was around 3 points away from the 2nd wild card. A bad stretch of games would have put us under the line. If that happened does Holland even bother to be a buyer at the deadline and add Ekholm? Maybe still but maybe not. He's shown to want to keep picks if he feels the team won't go deep in the playoffs.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
If Edmonton doesn't have a top 3 pick they shit the bed on Prospects...Holloway is one they should have left in College for a couple more years so he could develop and play heavy minutes...the Oilers as an organization stink when it comes to bringing their prospects along and developing them properly

Attachments

• 4-holloway,-dylan-(20)-ep.jpg
    4-holloway,-dylan-(20)-ep.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dylan-holloway-getty-060622.jpg
    dylan-holloway-getty-060622.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

duul

Jun 21, 2010
That lead was largely built up by the blazing finish to the season, while Holloway was injured or could be assumed to not be 100%. For most of the first half of the season the team was around 3 points away from the 2nd wild card. A bad stretch of games would have put us under the line. If that happened does Holland even bother to be a buyer at the deadline and add Ekholm? Maybe still but maybe not. He's shown to want to keep picks if he feels the team won't go deep in the playoffs.
His point is that if we're meant to be an actual Stanley Cup contender, putting a guy like Holloway in for 18 minutes a game would never be the difference between us making the playoffs or not. Same goes for a Bourgault/Lavoie. These guys need big minutes to start the season to see what we have. No exceptions. Allow them to play creatively, play their game, and refine what needs to be refined on the go. Let them turn pucks over trying to make beautiful passing plays. They will learn the speed and timings by pushing limits.

You tip a canoe on purpose in shallow water for a reason.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
His point is that if we're meant to be an actual Stanley Cup contender, putting a guy like Holloway in for 18 minutes a game would never be the difference between us making the playoffs or not. Same goes for a Bourgault/Lavoie. These guys need big minutes to start the season to see what we have. No exceptions. Allow them to play creatively, play their game, and refine what needs to be refined on the go. Let them turn pucks over trying to make beautiful passing plays. They will learn the speed and timings by pushing limits.

I did say earlier that I anticipate Holloway and/or Lavoie making the team. I just understand why we didn't last year, because we were not a true contender. Only after adding Ekholm did we become that. Woody couldn't give those minutes to a guy like Holloway while we needed every win we could get.

But if we aren't like that this season I think Holloway plays. If he gets his bearings he won't just be a future investment. Having a young talented center with endless energy will be a big asset in the playoffs, this season

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

Agreed, but if Holloway tries to do too much again he's just forcing the coach's hand. When he simplifies the coach will play him more. He tried to skate through defenders too much, he has to change his game a bit and realize that he can't skate through/by everyone at this level. Instead he needs to drive the net and create chaos.

Same with Lavoie, if he's not committed to a 200 foot game 100% of the time he's not going to last long. This isn't a development team anymore. Lavoie got benched in the AHL for bad habits, and bounced back but there is no place for that effort at the NHL level.

So it's on both of them more than the coaches imo.

XB though needs to start the season in the AHL imo. If he can add some more offence while retaining the 2 way play he developed under chaulk he's going to be a gamer. For me he is developing into an eberle/perron combination which would be really valuable if he gets there, no need to rush him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Edmonton doesn't have a top 3 pick they shit the bed on Prospects...Holloway is one they should have left in College for a couple more years so he could develop and play heavy minutes...the Oilers as an organization stink when it comes to bringing their prospects along and developing them properly
Holloway's biggest issue was his wrist injury and subsequent surgeries and a lack of training.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
He was great at the AHL level though, that promotion was probably right on track.

Holloway wasn't very good when he first joined the AHL as well, then he figured it out and became a force.

Even if he doesn't figure it out his tools will allow him to stay in the NHL on a bottom line imo. He's too big and fast to be held down much longer. His biggest hurdle right now is that he's used to being able to physically dominate at lower levels imo

Holloway's biggest issue was his wrist injury and subsequent surgeries and a lack of training.
lavoie too. Both had injuries that effected their play. Very important parts of their development.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oilers were in a playoff spot from early to mid January on. Nobody is ever guaranteed a playoff spot in the first half of seasons. The Oilers had around 3 months where it crystal clear they were making playoffs. Woody was still shortening bench until the last game. its what he does.

The team could start out with 10-0-0 record and he will still be playing it tight on minutes. Its what he's shown.

Even when the Oilers heated up and were beating everybody in sight Woody was still employing a short bench and shorting some players minutes. Theres no point at which any of that changed.

We just finished a season in which the Oilers had one of the best records in NHL sitting nicely in 6th place and only 4 pts out of 2nd in League. So for sure there was time and opportunity to give rooks and prospects some minutes. That didn't materialize.
So, you admit they weren't even in a playoff spot till January.:D And for a team even with Drai and McDavid, that is a little precarious and scary, especially if you still don't know at that point if Stuart Skinner is going to be the one to save the season, or that jack Campbell has successfully tanked it. If Woody was doing this stuff in game 74, then okay, I can agree with you somewhat, but for the first 3 months, and based on what was happening, I think he handled it fine. We were on some mighty thin ice, as they say.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agreed, but if Holloway tries to do too much again he's just forcing the coach's hand. When he simplifies the coach will play him more. He tried to skate through defenders too much, he has to change his game a bit and realize that he can't skate through/by everyone at this level. Instead he needs to drive the net and create chaos.

Same with Lavoie, if he's not committed to a 200 foot game 100% of the time he's not going to last long. This isn't a development team anymore. Lavoie got benched in the AHL for bad habits, and bounced back but there is no place for that effort at the NHL level.

So it's on both of them more than the coaches imo.

XB though needs to start the season in the AHL imo. If he can add some more offence while retaining the 2 way play he developed under chaulk he's going to be a gamer. For me he is developing into an eberle/perron combination which would be really valuable if he gets there, no need to rush him.
Excellent post. The young-uns have been gifted too many jobs and too many minutes in the past due to our lack of depth and also our position in the standings at times (hopeless). We're a good enough team now, that you make it and get your minutes by merit, not draft standing, or success in the minors. This is big boy hockey up here with the biggest implications.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I really don't share the view. At no point did I really figure the team was missing playoffs. Did you?

Any team with McDrai in it and several other players that were hot were going to plow through teams once it mattered. Once they figured taking it more seriously.
You seem to forget how putrid Jack Campbell was during the season, and how all the pundits had predicted that, that was the position that could sewer our season. Nobody knew that Skin was capable of killing it, other than a lick and a prayer. So, yes, at points during the first three months, there was the definite fear that those 2 things (goalie issues) could destroy our season. I don't care how good your top end players are, you cannot win without goaltending. The Oilers found that lesson out painfully year after year during the first few years of McDavid and Drai.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So, you admit they weren't even in a playoff spot till January.:D And for a team even with Drai and McDavid, that is a little precarious and scary, especially if you still don't know at that point if Stuart Skinner is going to be the one to save the season, or that jack Campbell has successfully tanked it. If Woody was doing this stuff in game 74, then okay, I can agree with you somewhat, but for the first 3 months, and based on what was happening, I think he handled it fine. We were on some mighty thin ice, as they say.
Skinner didn't save the season and Campbell didn't tank it. Campbell had actually a slightly higher win % with Campbell in net.

Again the Oilers made the playoffs by 17pts, your shrieking that they were going to miss notwithstanding. At no point did I believe the team was going to miss playoffs. I guess its on you that you're such a doubter. ;)

You seem to forget how putrid Jack Campbell was during the season, and how all the pundits had predicted that, that was the position that could sewer our season. Nobody knew that Skin was capable of killing it, other than a lick and a prayer. So, yes, at points during the first three months, there was the definite fear that those 2 things (goalie issues) could destroy our season. I don't care how good your top end players are, you cannot win without goaltending. The Oilers found that lesson out painfully year after year during the first few years of McDavid and Drai.
Please name all these pundits and cite those saying Campbell was going to make up miss the playoffs. I'm asking because its absolute fabrication. Any pundit had us making the playoffs. Several had us being first place team. Some had us being top team in league.

Even with all the struggles, the Kane injury etc the Oilers were always in the mix and anybody knows the Oilers are always better in last 2-3mths of season.

This isn't the Edmonton Oilers roster with McDrai and Nuge and a bunch of punters. We have better scoring depth now and scoring more goals.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is significant to you? If your sentence had read for most of the season then I could see it as some kind of concern. If on the other hand the Oilers were not establishing margin in first 20 games I see it as no reason for concern. The Oilers found traction which is predictable.

Holland stated he declined on adding to the team at TDL one time. This was even considered to be a mistake. The addition of Ekholm and Bjugstad was helpful and ought to have occurred. Its what contending teams should be doing, adding, at TDL.

Holland was overseeing a team that made it to conference final just the season before. How would he NOT add at TDL if possibility was available? Questions would still be asked if he hadn't done that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Skinner didn't save the season and Campbell didn't tank it. Campbell had actually a slightly higher win % with Campbell in net.

Again the Oilers made the playoffs by 17pts, your shrieking that they were going to miss notwithstanding. At no point did I believe the team was going to miss playoffs. I guess its on you that you're such a doubter. ;)

Please name all these pundits and cite those saying Campbell was going to make up miss the playoffs. I'm asking because its absolute fabrication. Any pundit had us making the playoffs. Several had us being first place team. Some had us being top team in league.

Even with all the struggles, the Kane injury etc the Oilers were always in the mix and anybody knows the Oilers are always better in last 2-3mths of season.

This isn't the Edmonton Oilers roster with McDrai and Nuge and a bunch of punters. We have better scoring depth now and scoring more goals.
No "shrieking" here. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the Oiler predicament the first few months of the season. You obviously thought our goaltending was not going to be a question mark coming into the season, and was not an issue during the first 3 months of the season. I know a whole lot of others who thought otherwise.

I suspect you're probably one of the posters on here that was always whining about Yakupov and Puljujarvi not getting the treatment you thought they deserved.;)

At any rate, I have no issues with how Holloway was handled. No more giving jobs and gobs of ice time to guys because of draft pedigree, or some "success in the minors." When you get to the NHL and especially on a team that's expected to compete for the cup like we now are, it's show me time. Wish Dylan all the luck and success in the world this season, But he'll need to earn it.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I did say earlier that I anticipate Holloway and/or Lavoie making the team. I just understand why we didn't last year, because we were not a true contender. Only after adding Ekholm did we become that. Woody couldn't give those minutes to a guy like Holloway while we needed every win we could get.

But if we aren't like that this season I think Holloway plays. If he gets his bearings he won't just be a future investment. Having a young talented center with endless energy will be a big asset in the playoffs, this season
Very solid post. We'll have more of an idea as to what we have with him this year. No bubble wrap or seat belt this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow, no need to get sarcastic. No "shrieking" here. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the Oiler predicament the first few months of the season. You obviously though our goaltending was not going to be a question mark coming into the season, and was not an issue during the first 3 months of the season. I know a whole lot of others who thought otherwise.

At any rate, I have no issues with how Holloway was handled. No more giving jobs and gobs of ice time to guys because of draft pedigree, or some "success in the minors." When you get to the NHL and especially one that's expected to compete for the cup like we now are, it's show me time. Wish Dylan all the luck and success in the world this season, But he'll need to earn it.
You complaining about sarcasm. Wow.

At the same time Holloway and Kostin weren't getting minutes Yama was getting a Poolparty of them, without them being earned. Yama was the only one that was never getting his minutes reduced. Despite you're thinking the team was in danger of missing playoffs.

Yama was so bad Holland had to sugarcoat another club even taking him on. Woody was playing this this player all day watching him muff chances all season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2