Player Discussion Dylan Holloway Pt. 3 - '22-'23

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I did say earlier that I anticipate Holloway and/or Lavoie making the team. I just understand why we didn't last year, because we were not a true contender. Only after adding Ekholm did we become that. Woody couldn't give those minutes to a guy like Holloway while we needed every win we could get.

But if we aren't like that this season I think Holloway plays. If he gets his bearings he won't just be a future investment. Having a young talented center with endless energy will be a big asset in the playoffs, this season
Pundits around the hockey world had us as a contender. Before the addition of Ekholm. Bolded is rewriting of narrative.

To wit this article is just before the TDL:

"Oilers the Wests best shot to win the Stanley Cup"

Had Holloway been properly utilized and given chance to gain foothold during regular season he could've been an asset in the playoffs.

Woody played favorites all season and went with guys he was more familiar with. Which goes a long way to explaining how Yams, Foegele, were getting ample minutes regardless of performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Pundits around the hockey world had us as a contender. Before the addition of Ekholm. Bolded is rewriting of narrative.

Had Holloway been properly utilized and given chance to gain foothold during regular season he could've been an asset in the playoffs.

Woody played favorites all season and went with guys he was more familiar with. Which goes a long way to explaining how Yams, Foegele, were getting ample minutes regardless of performance.
Holloway made an ugly giveaway on his first shift and Woody acted like a coward the rest of the season, too afraid to give him minutes. His treatment of Holloway, and later Kostin in the playoffs, really mystified me. Two playoff style bodies with lots of upside, and neither gets used. I think of something Lowetide said once about rookie coaches making bold moves, but then they get overly cautious once they are established. That hits the nail on the head with Woody. Hopefully Holloway gets some more leash here this season. He’s too fast and gets so many touches on the pack, and handles it too well not to be a difference maker. His hockey sense will determine how much he scores. That’s the only thing we don’t have and answer to yet.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Holloway doesn’t make it, we should sue Tyler Wright for gross negligence.

Yes I know that’s now how the law works, but f*** Wright was a dumb hire. Holland brought his worst with him from Detroit.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I am of the opinion Holloway can be our best winger by the end of this season if he is given an opportunity to play the game. His speed, hands, and aggression lead to creating the ideal type of playoff style hockey player in the mold of a Marchand, Kunitz style player who will do anything it takes to win and has the talent to boot.

It will be a horrific blunder, and the last straw, if Woodcroft does the same to him that he did last year.

Reactions: Oil53

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Unfortunately our left side had Kane and RNH in the top six. So unless Holloway beats them in training camp, he would be on the third line.

I do like a Holloway - McLeod- Foegle line though.

Reactions: stewy04

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Unfortunately our left side had Kane and RNH in the top six. So unless Holloway beats them in training camp, he would be on the third line.

I do like a Holloway - McLeod- Foegle line though.
I love the look of that line. Good size and speed to burn. Might be a bit of a digital clock kind of line - no hands. Probably a very effective suppression line of nothing else.

• Haha
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I love the look of that line. Good size and speed to burn. Might be a bit of a digital clock kind of line - no hands. Probably a very effective suppression line of nothing else.
Holloway has incredible hands.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The Oilers were in a playoff spot from early to mid January on. Nobody is ever guaranteed a playoff spot in the first half of seasons. The Oilers had around 3 months where it crystal clear they were making playoffs. Woody was still shortening bench until the last game. its what he does.

The team could start out with 10-0-0 record and he will still be playing it tight on minutes. Its what he's shown.

Even when the Oilers heated up and were beating everybody in sight Woody was still employing a short bench and shorting some players minutes. Theres no point at which any of that changed.

We just finished a season in which the Oilers had one of the best records in NHL sitting nicely in 6th place and only 4 pts out of 2nd in League. So for sure there was time and opportunity to give rooks and prospects some minutes. That didn't materialize.
Not as much as the last guy.

Woody played favorites all season and went with guys he was more familiar with. Which goes a long way to explaining how at like his job depends on getting to the playoffs.
It’s almost like keeping his job depends on making the playoffs.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't think Holloway was ready last year. Needed to be stronger on the puck and just in general. I bet he's ready to go this year.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Its almost like there was zero doubt about making playoffs. Nor should there be.
Theres a difference between making the playoffs and trying to win the division.

Oilers have a much better chance at the cup if they win the division last year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Theres a difference between making the playoffs and trying to win the division.

Oilers have a much better chance at the cup if they win the division last year.
This is it right here. Things probably turn out differently had we faced the apathetic Jets instead of the Kings.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The Oilers were in a playoff spot from early to mid January on. Nobody is ever guaranteed a playoff spot in the first half of seasons. The Oilers had around 3 months where it crystal clear they were making playoffs. Woody was still shortening bench until the last game. its what he does.

The team could start out with 10-0-0 record and he will still be playing it tight on minutes. Its what he's shown.

Even when the Oilers heated up and were beating everybody in sight Woody was still employing a short bench and shorting some players minutes. Theres no point at which any of that changed.

We just finished a season in which the Oilers had one of the best records in NHL sitting nicely in 6th place and only 4 pts out of 2nd in League. So for sure there was time and opportunity to give rooks and prospects some minutes. That didn't materialize.
Hindsight being 50/50 that's what we should have done.

I think at the time we had Vegas in our sights, and were gunning for 1st. Also didn't help both Vegas and LA kept winning as well and the Pacific were 3 of the hottest teams down the stretch and even though we had only lost in regulation once in like what seemed like 3 months, we gained almost no ground on Vegas, or much separation from LA.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think at the time we had Vegas in our sights, and were gunning for 1st. Also didn't help both Vegas and LA kept winning as well and the Pacific were 3 of the hottest teams down the stretch and even though we had only lost in regulation once in like what seemed like 3 months, we gained almost no ground on Vegas, or much separation from LA.

The problem with the Oilers last year is that they had bad habits to start the year. They gave up too many easy goals against. And then to top it off, not great goaltending. They werent playing well. A lot of these bad habits reared their head in the Vegas series.

Then the team started actually playing well after Christmas/New Years, then they took it to another level after the trade deadline.

They are pretty much always playing catch up and exhausting themselves down the stretch to either make the playoffs or finish higher in the standings.

Team needs to start the year better, playing more consistently/composure and playing with better habits instead of always chasing the game (or turning the game into a circus when they are up).

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I was saying it all in realtime. How is that hindsight?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know he's injured but can I get a perspective on Dylan Holloway? His stats are horrific but, my guess, he wasn't given a lot of opportunity.

What are the odds of this kid becoming something special?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I know he's injured but can I get a perspective on Dylan Holloway? His stats are horrific but, my guess, he wasn't given a lot of opportunity.

What are the odds of this kid becoming something special?
something special? lol
he was a 14th overall pick, special players are rarely picked there

he'll be a good middle six winger IMO

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks! I was hoping for something more.
Too early to tell IMO. He had a couple of wrist surgeries and missed a lot of developmental time. He was looking much better and then got hurt again. He needs to stay healthy and then get an opportunity to play up the lineup to break out.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Too early to tell IMO. He had a couple of wrist surgeries and missed a lot of developmental time. He was looking much better and then got hurt again. He needs to stay healthy and then get an opportunity to play up the lineup to break out.
Fair enough. Thanks!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Not sure if a more recent thread has been made.

Holloway is looking great. Assuming everyone's fully heathy for Game 1, do you take anyone out for him? He doesn't PK, but isn't it an L to keep him out of the line up?

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I want him in the line up for the playoffs, but with almost ZERO NHL PK experience, without injuries, I don't see how it happens. His speed and drive would be a huge asset in playoffs, just not sure who he replaces, who isn't a regular on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad