Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Seems like an underpayment for a solid RHD. Maybe Dorian felt guilty for taking advantage of chevys hospitality last trade deadline and then turning around and dealing stone to vegas

Making deals is as much about relationships and trust as it is the pieces involved. It probably didnt hurt!

Reactions: GNP
Nov 24, 2006
Lots of hand-wringing by a few over losing a 3rd round pick.

Really not worth worrying about a shot in the dark draft pick for a boost where we absolutely needed it (RD). If he's extended, this goes from being a good trade to a great one.

1st and 2nd rounders are valuable IMO, but personally, I'd trade a 3rd rounder for a really good bowel movement.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Isn't Beaulieu the team leader at +10? That's hardly getting caved.
"Getting caved" isn't about plus / minus, it's about possession. Beaulieu's corsi% is 43.52%. His xGF is 11.47 and xGA 15.27, while actual GF is 16 and actual GA 7.

I'd say he's been getting extremely lucky if anything.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm not expecting them to change their systems. What I am expecting is cleaner breakouts and a tidier defensive zone with him in the line up. You know who's having a lost season?

Panthers
Devils
Sens
Habs
Sabres
Ducks
Sharks
Kings

Jets are 3 points out, which is what I wouldn't term a lost season. Would they be better served not making the playoffs? Sure - a higher 1st round pick is always nice. Would Chevy be better served if he added nothing to the team? Depends on the value of the player coming back. A 3rd round pick for a top-4 defenseman is great value. Do players watch what the GM does? You'd better ****ing believe it.

You only see a 3rd round pick. I see a move that's 3 fold: Bolster the defense in an appreciable manner, give the guys in the room a shot in the arm - their "participation ribbon" if you will, and a chance to sell a pending UFA on a new market and new opportunities beyond this season. That's worth more than seeing what a 3rd round pick can maybe grow into in 4 years.
1. Bolster the defence: Sure, it's a nice add for the defense but I'm not sure it moves the needle enough to put the team into any kind of contender status so does it really matter?
2. 'Participation Ribbon': Do we deserve one? We have been a horrible team with Vezina calibre goaltending.
3. Sell on Winnipeg: This I agree with. I'm not sure it's worth a 3rd round pick but if he signs here after the season it ends up being a great deal.

I'm not trying to say this is some kind of horrible deal, of all the rentals we could have made it's probably the best possible option. I'm just against making any rental trade when your team is as bad as ours is.

We have 4 draft picks next draft and are slated to pick as high as we have in a good few years, that's not a great recipe for success imo.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Solid add... instantly improves our defence. Add to our top 4. the type we needed. Steady, non flashy, limited mistake type of guy. Good shut down guy. Can actually make a break out safe pass... obviously a slight gamble if we miss playoffs and he also goes to UFA. But given our teams talent up front and holes on D it is a great spot for him to re sign. Some teams will want him as well. But if we can keep him thats great... now just sign another top 4 UFA D this summer or trade for one and I think we will be pretty set for a better year next season.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Really not worth worrying about a shot in the dark draft pick for a boost where we absolutely needed it (RHD). If he's extended, this goes from being a good trade to a great one.

1st and 2nd rounders are valuable IMO, but personally, I'd trade a 3rd rounder for a really good bowel movement .

You and me both. Drinking more water helps, I hear :laugh:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Lack of RHD in the system plus the fact that DeMelo isn't a big scorer makes feel like there's a pretty good chance of retaining him. Would probably end up being less than we're paying Kulikov this year.

He seems like the exact piece we are missing that is affordable to plug.

It will suck if he is as valuable as we think he is and goes to UFA.

But I think it is worth the risk. Hindsight is 20/20 so we will know in July if we gambled wisely :laugh:

Probably cheaper than Martinez or Tanev and stats say probably as good. Key will be finding chemistry with one of our LD.

Young enough that a 4 or 5 year term isnt out of the question. If he fits like a glove. But what team cant use a defensive defenseman that can move the puck...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Really not worth worrying about a shot in the dark draft pick for a boost where we absolutely needed it (RD). If he's extended, this goes from being a good trade to a great one.

1st and 2nd rounders are valuable IMO, but personally, I'd trade a 3rd rounder for a really good bowel movement.
:laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd mentioned DeMelo as an underrated UFA target this summer, so I'm pretty happy we got him here for a reasonable price. If we can convince him to stay, even better!

His most common 5v5 partners in Ottawa: Borowiecki (365 minutes) and Chabot (234 minutes) - almost 76% of his minutes with those two.

Ottawa with DeMelo this year (5v5) -
On-ice: 790 minutes, 52.37 CF%, 55.75 xGF%, 33 GF, 34 GA.
Off-ice: 2048 minutes, 45.52 CF%, 46.94 xGF%, 71 GF, 94 GA.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Yes, picking up a pending UFA is a gamble. But what is the act of using a third round pick but a gamble as well? And that's what it boils down to: Does "current value of DeMelo" + "gambling that he might re-sign" outweigh "gambling on a third round pick"? I think it does, by a mile. The playoffs are within reach. Punching a ticket increases your chances of winning the cup to about 3-5% even for the worst teams. It's a big milestone.

Yeah, this definitely gets my Mad Prophet of the Airwaves seal of approval.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
2. 'Participation Ribbon': Do we deserve one? We have been a horrible team with Vezina calibre goaltending.

I'm with you in that I don't believe in giving people participation ribbons. Either you earn your way there, or you don't get there. This better than a participation ribbon - it's an actual, quantifiable increase on defense, for a very reasonable cost. He will help the team. The cost wasn't significant. I just want the Jets to play better. This team is too skilled to tank out and get a higher draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad