Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The problem here is the team is bad not because we are missing one defensemen. We are one of, if not the worst analytical team in the league. Demelo is a nice complimentary top 4 guy (if we're being generous because he has never done it before this season), but he is not the saviour of our team. We're giving away a 3rd round pick and the best possible return is we sneak into the playoffs and get slaughtered.

Giving away assets for anything that was a rental was never going to be a good idea in my books.

Why are the Jets one of the worst analytical teams in the league? The systems? The players? Is it a 'chicken before the egg' scenario? Are they playing the system that they're playing because it's what Maurice knows, or is it because he's trying to play safe because the defense is _bad_? No one is expecting him to be the saviour of the team. What we expect him to be is an improvement over what we currently have, which he is. He immediately pushes one of Beaulieu, Sbisa, Bitetto, or Niku out of the line up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If the keep him in the fold past this year then this is a great deal. We need a few good buy low acquisitions.

I am hoping for a similar move for a potential 2C at some point.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
When your team isn't good and doesn't have a shot at winning the Stanley Cup? 100% yes.

(with the obvious exception of like Sidney Crosby for a 2030 7th round pick).

Do you have any clue how little of a chance a 3rd round pick has of making it to the NHL let alone having any sort of impact? Your mentality would likely run players off from Winnipeg which is something we can’t afford. It’s a small price to give the boys some faith even if we know we likely aren’t doing much.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
if he does well with us and we resign him then I think this is a wonderful deal. If we lose him in the offseason, I realize it's just a 3rd, but we're already low on picks for a D&D team.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why are the Jets one of the worst analytical teams in the league? The systems? The players? Is it a 'chicken before the egg' scenario? Are they playing the system that they're playing because it's what Maurice knows, or is it because he's trying to play safe because the defense is _bad_? No one is expecting him to be the saviour of the team. What we expect him to be is an improvement over what we currently have, which he is. He immediately pushes one of Beaulieu, Sbisa, Bitetto, or Niku out of the line up.

Yup and he also pushes Poolman out of the top 4 which is a huge plus.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It's a fair question but we were a bad analytical team with good defensemen last season.

Can we really expect Maurice to change the system because we added Dylan Demelo? That seems a bit outlandish to me.

Like I said, like the player, like the price would love if we could re-sign him to a nice deal. At the same time it just makes no sense to give away assets for something that can only benefit you for 20 games in a lost season.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
chevy always has a fetish for offensive minded defenseman. Nice to see the jets pickup a cheap defender who is reliable in his own end... something the jets desperately need. Hopefully he plays well and the jets re-sign him.... it wont cost much because he doesnt put up numbers....but I will take a cheap reliable rhd. great move.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
My guess is that is indeed what they are planning on doing. Although they may elect Poolman over Niku.

Yeah I agree. I could see them going with something like:

JoMo - DeMelo
Kulikov - Pionk
Poolman - Beaulieu

Pushing Poolman or Nathan B to the left for the time being and seeing how that goes out of the gate.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
You guys got a steal

Demelo is safe, mistake free defensive dman. Not overly physical , makes the safe smart pass and is best used in a shut down role. Not terrific offensively but not a complete black hole where he can't handle the puck .

To most Sens fans he's been our 2nd best D and has been playing like a top 4 dman.

He's a calming presence on the back end. Has been paired with Chabot lately covering up his mistakes

I wanted to sign him and preferred keeping over a 2nd for him.

Thanks for the 411. Very informative.

Well, if we don't re-sign him, maybe the Sens can get him back as a UFA :)

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Do you have any clue how little of a chance a 3rd round pick has of making it to the NHL let alone having any sort of impact? Your mentality would likely run players off from Winnipeg which is something we can’t afford. It’s a small price to give the boys some faith even if we know we likely aren’t doing much.
No it wouldn't that's a complete exaggeration. Not trading for Demelo after 2 years of going big on rentals is not going to stop players from coming to Winnipeg.

I was fine with the Stastny trade, we were a good team then. Hayes was a horrible trade in time and value but I suppose someone could have thought we were a better team than we were. Right now we are just nowhere close to being good that giving away assets in some vague dream that it's going to keep players from leaving later is a bad idea.

Like I said, the more kicks at the can with late picks the better. We have successfully added NHL players with picks in the 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th rounds that are playing on our roster, those picks aren't worthless.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hopefully he resigns. Didn’t give up much but if he won’t resign it’s basically a wasted pick. But a third rounder isn’t a sure fire NHLer so it’s basically magic beans for the chance to sign DeMelo beyond this year, so I guess it’s alright.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
chevy always has a fetish for offensive minded defenseman. Nice to see the jets pickup a cheap defender who is reliable in his own end... something the jets desperately need. Hopefully he plays well and the jets re-sign him.... it wont cost much because he doesnt put up numbers....but I will take a cheap reliable rhd. great move.

I think the objective poster is right on here, and I agree with him. He always tells it like it is --good or bad. :nod:

We really do need a good defensive D man that can get the puck out of our end when we're being boxed in -- "good move" by Chevy. Hopefully he can be resigned.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Isn't Bitetto done for the year? So likely Sbisa.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Oh yeah. Play him with Morrissey and move Poolman down the line up. I don't think they'll start there, though.

Morrissey - Poolman
Kulikov - DeMelo
Beaulieu - Niku

I like the look of that in theory. Then Sbisa comes back and the bottom pair resumes getting caved again.

Isn't Beaulieu the team leader at +10? That's hardly getting caved. I think every pairing Niku is on has been getting caved defensively.

Morrissey-De Melo
Kulikov-Pionk
Beaulieu-Sbisa
Bitetto-Poolman

is your probable depth chart.

Reactions: Crocket and hn777

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It's a fair question but we were a bad analytical team with good defensemen last season.

Can we really expect Maurice to change the system because we added Dylan Demelo? That seems a bit outlandish to me.

Like I said, like the player, like the price would love if we could re-sign him to a nice deal. At the same time it just makes no sense to give away assets for something that can only benefit you for 20 games in a lost season.

I'm not expecting them to change their systems. What I am expecting is cleaner breakouts and a tidier defensive zone with him in the line up. You know who's having a lost season?

Panthers
Devils
Sens
Habs
Sabres
Ducks
Sharks
Kings

Jets are 3 points out, which is what I wouldn't term a lost season. Would they be better served not making the playoffs? Sure - a higher 1st round pick is always nice. Would Chevy be better served if he added nothing to the team? Depends on the value of the player coming back. A 3rd round pick for a top-4 defenseman is great value. Do players watch what the GM does? You'd better f***ing believe it.

You only see a 3rd round pick. I see a move that's 3 fold: Bolster the defense in an appreciable manner, give the guys in the room a shot in the arm - their "participation ribbon" if you will, and a chance to sell a pending UFA on a new market and new opportunities beyond this season. That's worth more than seeing what a 3rd round pick can maybe grow into in 4 years.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I like Demelo alot. He started to emerge in SJ, then had a couple good seasons in Ottawa. He's a decent puck mover and will be very welcome here. Hopefully they can convince him to sign, although seems unlikely.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah I agree. I could see them going with something like:

JoMo - DeMelo
Kulikov - Pionk
Poolman - Beaulieu

Pushing Poolman or Nathan B to the left for the time being and seeing how that goes out of the gate.

Beaulieu is a lefty and Poolman is a righty plus there is still Niku as well who can play either side.

Morrissey - DeMelo
Beaulieu - Pionk
Kulikov - Poolman/Niku

seems like a solid idea to me. Thats 3 solid pairings we can role with the top pair being in more of a shutdown role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad