Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He automatically becomes our third best defenseman. A plus 3 on Ottawa isn't bad (then again, Ron Hainsey is a plus 5). I'm okay with this. Ottawa fans seemed perturbed, so it must be good for us, right? :)

Reactions: hn777 and Jets 31

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Like the move.

I’m thinking Chevy might not be done either.

Maybe he moves Kulikov for a 2nd or 3rd, too? As a pending UFA.

Reactions: Rheged

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
As a fellow bargain hunter, I appreciate the shrewdness of the deal. A 3rd round pick for a top-4 defenseman is great value. Certainly better than the prices that we've seen. It can be further ameliorated by trading back in the draft - say - moving down in the 2nd round to pick up a spare 3rd. If this is the _only_ move the Jets make, I'll consider it a win. Now to get him sold on the market and re-signed.

This is good value but ultimately I'm still not a fan of moving any draft picks for rentals when our team is as bad as it is. Maybe we get lucky and he re-signs but hard to count on that.

Why is the team bad?

"Lack of good, quality NHL D."

What did we pick up?

"A good, quality NHL D."

What did we pay?

"A lottery draw based on projected outcomes of less than 30% certainty."

I fail to see the problem here.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Seems like an underpayment for a solid RHD. Maybe Dorian felt guilty for taking advantage of chevys hospitality last trade deadline and then turning around and dealing stone to vegas

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's a definite upgrade on Poolman as far as defence goes. Seems to make all the offensive Dmen he plays with better. Poolman provides more offence but he can do so from the 3rd pairing now. Maybe we put Bealieau next to Pionk now.

Reactions: zsam

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
As a fellow bargain hunter, I appreciate the shrewdness of the deal. A 3rd round pick for a top-4 defenseman is great value. Certainly better than the prices that we've seen. It can be further ameliorated by trading back in the draft - say - moving down in the 2nd round to pick up a spare 3rd. If this is the _only_ move the Jets make, I'll consider it a win. Now to get him sold on the market and re-signed.

Why is the team bad?

"Lack of good, quality NHL D."

What did we pick up?

"A good, quality NHL D."

What did we pay?

"A lottery draw based on projected outcomes of less than 30% certainty."

I fail to see the problem here.
The problem here is the team is bad not because we are missing one defensemen. We are one of, if not the worst analytical team in the league. Demelo is a nice complimentary top 4 guy (if we're being generous because he has never done it before this season), but he is not the saviour of our team. We're giving away a 3rd round pick and the best possible return is we sneak into the playoffs and get slaughtered.

Giving away assets for anything that was a rental was never going to be a good idea in my books.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I am happy with this deal. I mean I think De Melo's stats have been carried a bit by how good Chabot is, but we don't have a legitimate top 4 option. To get one for a 3rd rd pick suits me. Bargain shopping is what Winnipeg is all about. Obviously should start with Morrissey. But the reverberation is Poolman likely drops down to the bottom pairing, with Sbisa out. When Sbisa comes back, does Niku stay up? I'd be surprised given how bad he was picked apart on the road. After tonight 13 of 21 left are on the road. Good time to stabilize the defense.

At least we know that Chevy is trying to push this team into the playoffs. Hopefully no more trades involving picks though.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It’s a pick that likely never makes an impact.

We have 6 players third round or later on our team currently that we've drafted, out of 31 3rd or later picks from 2011-2016. Can add 6 more for 6 out of 37 if you want to include 2017 though they're still fairly young.

For how bad we play 5v5 this seems like a meh move unless we can re-sign him. He's a good player and is solid defensively but how much impact can he make? I'd rather a small chance at an NHLer tbh.

Maybe he'll rub off on the rest of the guys and help them figure out how to play defense.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
How are we throwing it away? :facepalm:
We're throwing it away if Demelo isn't here for more than one season. This season is a write off with an outside chance at getting destroyed in the first round of the playoffs.

But with a 3rd rounder you hope to get a Demelo kind of player.... this trade makes it a for sure not a hope! I like it
If Demelo had term he would be worth a lot more than a 3rd rounder for sure.

Reactions: Jet

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
He's a definite upgrade on Poolman as far as defence goes. Seems to make all the offensive Dmen he plays with better. Poolman provides more offence but he can do so from the 3rd pairing now. Maybe we put Bealieau next to Pionk now.

Oh yeah. Play him with Morrissey and move Poolman down the line up. I don't think they'll start there, though.

Morrissey - Poolman
Kulikov - DeMelo
Beaulieu - Niku

I like the look of that in theory. Then Sbisa comes back and the bottom pair resumes getting caved again.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
My guess is that is indeed what they are planning on doing. Although they may elect Poolman over Niku.

ya, I forgot about poolman. I wouldn’t mind a Niku-Poolman bottom pair but I doubt they go there.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The problem here is the team is bad not because we are missing one defensemen. We are one of, if not the worst analytical team in the league. Demelo is a nice complimentary top 4 guy (if we're being generous because he has never done it before this season), but he is not the saviour of our team. We're giving away a 3rd round pick and the best possible return is we sneak into the playoffs and get slaughtered.

Giving away assets for anything that was a rental was never going to be a good idea in my books.

So no matter what happens, someone added without term regardless of who or at what price, it’s always a bad idea? Ok then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad