Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
What does Ekblad cost to acquire.
Does he have a NTC, would he waive it to come to WPG.
How does his cap affect our roster going forward.
Lots of questions for a hypothetical move.

If he was available wouldn't there be a bidding war for his services?
Any veteran, big, talented D would be an upgrade.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just quoting this for a new page as I read apparently serious posts about trading Demelo.

If you want to improve the defense you look at the second and third pairs, not the best pairing the Jets have had in years.
Our head coach responsible for a defensive turnaround just compared them to makar and Toews... Ya doubt they're going anywhere lol.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not necessarily.
DeMelo is better defensively than a lot of NHL D.
You are ignoring the fact that there are very few D on the market to trade for.'
The cost to acquire those players is going to be very costly.
The average 5/6th D is not better than DeMelo.
The ones that are better are not available or will cost a heavy price to trade for.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Not necessarily.
DeMelo is better defensively than a lot of NHL D.
You are ignoring the fact that there are very few D on the market to trade for.'
The cost to acquire those players is going to be very costly.
The average 5/6th D is not better than DeMelo.
The ones that are better are not available or will cost a heavy price to trade for.
Hence, you have to ask yourself:
Am I ok with DD as my #1 pairing d?
Or do I pay the price for a #1 pairing D as an upgrade that could be the difference in winning a cup?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Or do I pay the price for a #1 pairing D as an upgrade that could be the difference in winning a cup?
Getting an Ekblad type to play on a 1B pairing for a better 1-2 punch and leaving DeMelo where he is would make the team a lot better than replacing DeMelo with an Ekblad type.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Getting an Ekblad type to play on a 1B pairing for a better 1-2 punch and leaving DeMelo where he is would make the team a lot better than replacing DeMelo with an Ekblad type.
I can't even count how many times Ekblad gets proposed on these boards. Where do folks find this stuff? The chances of FLA moving him at this tdl are super slim. Their D is weak on personnel to begin with.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
That's all well and good but show me this #1 D that is available to trade for.
And then take into account the assets (multiple first round picks and a top prospect or 2) spent to bring in said D. I'll assume this fictional player is an upcoming UFA? So we are trading the farm for a rental and hoping we can get one of the most in demand positions in the league to sign with us a FA?
Then look at the salary cap of a #1 D and how that effects the Jets.
This is pure fantasy thinking.
There are teams that have been trying to get a #1 D for years with no success and you think we can just casually add one as a luxury.

And yes I'm fine with DeMelo playing top pairing minutes with Morrissey because they have excelled at doing that for a very long time. DeMelo is not the D man that needs to upgraded for starters.

If there was a #1 RD available at the TDL the line of teams that would be in on that is fairly significant.
How many teams have two #1 quality D on their roster? (not many)

Reactions: Huffer and larmex99

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I like DeMelo with JMo. They have very nice chemistry and work well together.

Pionk is the guy I see upgrading. The second pair anchored by a Pionk replacement is where I would focus. He seems to have little chemistry with Dillon or Schmidt.

I wonder if the Jets are looking hard at Provorov. Now he isn’t playing as well as his draft pedigree would expect, but a JMo/DeMelo top pairing followed by a Provorov/Dillon pairing, could be a nice bump. A Samberg/Schmidt 3rd pairing to round things out.

Reactions: Jack7222

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Would be an upgrade over what? Big isn't all that important in the NHL, you can't flatten guys in front of the net like could 25 years ago. Positioning is what's important very few big veteran D-men have better positional play then DeMelo. If you get one that is as good positionally it's going to be a major cap hit that forces you to cut someplace else which makes the team weaker overall.

I'm not actually convinced Demelo is having a particularly good season by his standards. Hopefully he can get back to the type of defensive game he had a few years ago, but you can never tell. He's into the age range where players performance drops off. Still, you are never going to get a D-man who offers what he does without cutting some other significant player (s) to make cap room, DD is just an absolute steal for what he can add to a team on the ice.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I can't even count how many times Ekblad gets proposed on these boards. Where do folks find this stuff? The chances of FLA moving him at this tdl are super slim. Their D is weak on personnel to begin with.
Plus you be forced to move out other players to make room for the contract and give up even more in any trade. Getting an Ekblad could make the D better, but it would never make the team better.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I wonder if the Jets are looking hard at Provorov. Now he isn’t playing as well as his draft pedigree would expect, but a JMo/DeMelo top pairing followed by a Provorov/Dillon pairing, could be a nice bump. A Samberg/Schmidt 3rd pairing to round things out.

The Jets already have a logjam at LHD. The biggest boost to the Jets D would be a RHD to replace Pionk, but RHD are not exactly easy to get.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The tiny, ineffective one who doesn't exist.

... instead of the calm, consistent, versatile, increasingly effective one who plays for the Jets.

for shits and giggles

looked at weighted average age/height/weight of all defenders that have suited up for their respective teams league wide. this weighted average based on individual player's all-strengths TOI against total D's TOI. i threw in age there too just for curiosity sake.

no surprise. TB is the biggest. i remember looking at this couple years ago and they were on top too.

Height in Inches

1673811740094.png

Plus you be forced to move out other players to make room for the contract and give up even more in any trade. Getting an Ekblad could make the D better, but it would never make the team better.
if the other players are one of schmidt or pionk, you could make it work i think.

id separate morrissey and ekblad though, and have ekblad championing his own top4 pairing.

nevertheless, i haven't heard any reputable insider/source bring up ekblad's availability

Last edited:

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
That's all well and good but show me this #1 D that is available to trade for.
And then take into account the assets (multiple first round picks and a top prospect or 2) spent to bring in said D. I'll assume this fictional player is an upcoming UFA? So we are trading the farm for a rental and hoping we can get one of the most in demand positions in the league to sign with us a FA?
Then look at the salary cap of a #1 D and how that effects the Jets.
This is pure fantasy thinking.
There are teams that have been trying to get a #1 D for years with no success and you think we can just casually add one as a luxury.

And yes I'm fine with DeMelo playing top pairing minutes with Morrissey because they have excelled at doing that for a very long time. DeMelo is not the D man that needs to upgraded for starters.

If there was a #1 RD available at the TDL the line of teams that would be in on that is fairly significant.
How many teams have two #1 quality D on their roster? (not many)
Only those who win the cup.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Only those who win the cup.
Great.
How did they get those players?
They drafted them or signed as UFA.
If you haven't noticed were near the very bottom of every players choice to play.
Being a competitive team knocks us up into the higher end of the bottom 1/3 maybe.

You're just not being very realistic about where this player comes from and how we get him.
This isn't an EA sports trade where you can stack up a bunch of spare junk parts for a top player.

Reactions: Krauser and Huffer

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Great.
How did they get those players?
They drafted them or signed as UFA.
If you haven't noticed were near the very bottom of every players choice to play.
Being a competitive team knocks us up into the higher end of the bottom 1/3 maybe.

You're just not being very realistic about where this player comes from and how we get him.
This isn't an EA sports trade where you can stack up a bunch of spare junk parts for a top player.
Hey, if you’re content to stand pat because we are in 1st right now that is your preference.
I can guarantee you every team near the top of the league including the Jets is looking to improve.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hey, if you’re content to stand pat because we are in 1st right now that is your preference.
I can guarantee you every team near the top of the league including the Jets is looking to improve.
Read my posts.
I've said over and over and over again that the Jets have a couple of choices based on what Chevy knows about PLD, Scheif and Helle's intentions.

He can go small - a middle/top 6 forward to play on the 3rd line and act as insurance for the top 6. Also add a depth D for the RD to insulate against injuries (more of a defensive guy). These won't break the bank because there is an abundance of forwards on the market and most of the contending teams are missing their 1st and or have cap issues.

If he was to go bigger he could - add that same type of forward and also add another top 6 forward (possibly a C). Maybe the D add is higher up the ladder too.
That would cost some fairly significant assets I would think (our 1st, 2024 2nd plus some prospects and another pick and some roster players or picks).

I came into the DeMelo thread because he's been getting some extra points recently that I'm happy with and your posts seems better suited for the Free Agent thread... which is where I have posted a lot about supporting either approach. Without knowing cap implications for next year and beyond its hard to really nail down what Chevy should do.

Reactions: Huffer

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Very few big D are better defensively than a guy who over 2020-23 is 92nd percentile in defense...
1673848651673.png

DeMelo is also near picture perfect partner for Morrissey (a guy who isn't as great at defense but elite at offense).
If you tried to upgrade DeMelo, 1) you will pay a lot and lose from elsewhere, 2) may actually end up with a downgrade, 3) may actually end up with someone who doesn't play as well with Morrissey

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Of Dmen with similar 5v5 ice time (using 90% of demelo's) through the season so far scoring per toi efficiency ranks

Hedman
Hughes
Hronek
M. Anderson
Karlsson
Middleton
Dobson
Skjei
DeMelo

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
IMO, he's worth more than Pionk - so this will be interesting to see how the Jets value their defensive D - especially when they have so few of them.

I agree, he's probably worth more than Pionk since we have so few of defensive D-men. Historically, I think offensive players get paid more than defensive players, so how it actually shakes out will certainly be interesting.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
IMO, he's worth more than Pionk - so this will be interesting to see how the Jets value their defensive D - especially when they have so few of them.
Agreed, He is worth and more valuable than Pionk imo. However points get you paid, especially for Dmen. Guys like him will often be V good quality & return on contracts (ie: marino, sigenthaler).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed, He is worth and more valuable than Pionk imo. However points get you paid, especially for Dmen. Guys like him will often be V good quality & return on contracts (ie: marino, sigenthaler).
Agreed, he won't be able to demand the big money. If he likes his fit on the Jets, that is he likes playing on the top pair with Morrissey, I think the Jets can hold onto him in the $4 - $4.5 range. Let's say 4 years.

Reactions: GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'll go out on a limb and say $5M - 4 yrs (and possibly a little more).
A RHD that can play top pair minutes and helps anchor the offense Dman - or any dman for that matter - he makes everyone look better.
Historically not a point generator but projects for 30+ this season - about what you'll get from Pionk.
Not that I'm expecting him to get Pionk money, but this might be a tougher negotiation than we think.
IMO, this is a real interesting situation with the premium on D right now - especially RHD that can play big minutes, defend very well, and get you a few 5v5 pts to boot. He has an argument IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad