Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
If Marchessault and Smith were so good why did Tallon basically give them away for free?

I suspect blackmail, but can't be sure. I called Dale to ask, but the number he gave me now seems to belong to a nice lady called Diamond that works at Solid Gold.

I think Smith had a down year and Marchessault was coming up on being a free agent. IIRC Tallon was trying to hold on to Marchessault but talks didn't work out with Vegas. I guess he didn't try hard enough.

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting that some fans seem ready to toss Copp overboard, and certainly not pay him $4M or so, while many also think that Marchessault has been a steal for VGK (with his $5M cap hit).

upload_2021-4-2_14-39-46.png

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I suspect blackmail, but can't be sure. I called Dale to ask, but the number he gave me now seems to belong to a nice lady called Diamond that works at Solid Gold.

I think Smith had a down year and Marchessault was coming up on being a free agent. IIRC Tallon was trying to hold on to Marchessault but talks didn't work out with Vegas. I guess he didn't try hard enough.

Maybe Tallon was fooled by Marchessault's poor xG metrics in 2016/17...

Tallon didn't care how good or bad he was. Tallon straight up traded him out of spite. Fun fact: He planned exposed him before the Smith deal even came together. The two being sent were separate and not connected, other than Tallon hating everything Eric and Steve did.

Reactions: John Agar

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tallon didn't care how good or bad he was. Tallon straight up traded him out of spite. Fun fact: He planned exposed him before the Smith deal even came together. The two being sent were separate and not connected, other than Tallon hating everything Eric and Steve did.
I was joshing...

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
That's not what Diamond told me.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting that some fans seem ready to toss Copp overboard, and certainly not pay him $4M or so, while many also think that Marchessault has been a steal for VGK (with his $5M cap hit).

View attachment 416429
I'd like to hang on to Copp, but he's not going to be cheap. And he probably already feels a bit underappreciated after going through arbitration (and maybe thinks the Jets owe him for the discount he's given them the last couple of seasons).

I don't see the Jets keeping both Copp and Lowry. It's one or the other and one's a (perhaps) disgruntled long-time buddy of Trouba's coming off a career year with arbitration rights 1 year away from UFA, and the other's dad is a coach here and is Maurice's choice at center.

Copp can go to arbitration and probably get $4M x 1 easy and then walk next year.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'd like to hang on to Copp, but he's not going to be cheap. And he probably already feels a bit underappreciated after going through arbitration (and maybe thinks the Jets owe him for the discount he's given them the last couple of seasons).

I don't see the Jets keeping both Copp and Lowry. It's one or the other and one's a (perhaps) disgruntled long-time buddy of Trouba's coming off a career year with arbitration rights 1 year away from UFA, and the other's dad is a coach here and is Maurice's choice at center.

Copp can go to arbitration and probably get $4M x 1 easy and then walk next year.
I like his game, but he can walk at 4m

Reactions: Eyeseeing

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Well, this is why it's so important to have a healthy pipeline. With Perfetti and Gustafson waiting in the wings, the Jets will be okay. Hopefully Chevy can find an inexpensive third liner (not fourth liner this time!) to fill the void for one or two seasons until the kids are alright.

Reactions: Gm0ney and JetsUK

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
let's see how demelo on the top-pair continues to trend..... through few games looks solid, a game against the Coyotes on a small sample will skew things heavily positive, however, Demelo has typically had a strong-positive effect on pairings throughout the last couple years, including his time in Ottawa with a myriad of partners (Chabot, Reilly, and Boroweicki). Always have to consider who the partner is sans Demelo though.... Nevertheless, i wouldn't be surprised if he/top-pair keep it up.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
upload_2022-3-9_8-3-20.png

upload_2022-3-9_8-4-12.png

:nod:

really like what i seen from demelo this year. when talking about moving cap space, he'd be one of the last guys id move. not sure if the Jets necessarily feel the same way, but just think he plays a real sound game and elevates the pair he's on (and he's being doing it since his days in OTT in variety of roles, & partners). think since he was acquired in '20 he's been our most consistent defenseman defensively.

Attachments

• upload_2022-3-9_8-2-36.png
    upload_2022-3-9_8-2-36.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 2

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
View attachment 513997

View attachment 513998

:nod:

really like what i seen from demelo this year. when talking about moving cap space, he'd be one of the last guys id move. not sure if the Jets necessarily feel the same way, but just think he plays a real sound game and elevates the pair he's on (and he's being doing it since his days in OTT in variety of roles, & partners). think since he was acquired in '20 he's been our most consistent defenseman defensively.

No reason whatsoever to move him. He's essentially the defense version of Perrault, you van mive him around and he helps whoever he plays with. Really you can't ask for a better partner to help integrate Heinola.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
No reason whatsoever to move him. He's essentially the defense version of Perrault, you van mive him around and he helps whoever he plays with. Really you can't ask for a better partner to help integrate Heinola.

Agree. No frills, gets the job done with high efficiency and few errors, and is the only Jets D who can seemingly play well with anyone. Getting him for peanuts was one of Chevy's best moves -- along with signing MP -- and it makes no sense to move him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agree. No frills, gets the job done with high efficiency and few errors, and is the only Jets D who can seemingly play well with anyone. Getting him for peanuts was one of Chevy's best moves -- along with signing MP -- and it makes no sense to move him.
Dmen of Demelo's ilk don't always go for much in trades, since a lot value is typically derived from Pts and TOI (either rightly or wrongly). look at Jonas Siegenthaler for instance who seems to rate similarly defensively to Demelo. went for a 3rd to NJD.

I think there's similar deals or signings to be had when looking at underlying stats or players caught behind a strong/vet-laden depth chart to find those under-the-radar players that can make solid contributions when given more ice. Leafs with Bunting for example, FLA with Carter V or Forsling, etc. think this is the way that this team can improve, notably in the bottom-6 since cap-space is scarce.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dmen of Demelo's ilk don't always go for much in trades, since a lot value is typically derived from Pts and TOI (either rightly or wrongly). look at Jonas Siegenthaler for instance who seems to rate similarly defensively to Demelo. went for a 3rd to NJD.

I think there's similar deals or signings to be had when looking at underlying stats or players caught behind a strong/vet-laden depth chart to find those under-the-radar players that can make solid contributions when given more ice. Leafs with Bunting for example, FLA with Carter V or Forsling, etc. think this is the way that this team can improve, notably in the bottom-6 since cap-space is scarce.

Agreed, looks like Chevy got it right with Svech as well. We need some other good depth signings or trades like those yo round out the roster.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bowness unlocked his offense :laugh:
On track to surpass career high in pts

Apparently he's setting up scoring chances at a high rate according to @garret9 tracking

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad