Kings News: Dwight King re-signs [3 years/$1.95M AAV]

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm happy with the contract. King is very steady and does exactly what Sutter wants from him out there. When you watch Clifford and Nolan out there, you see that they have more innate puck skills than King, but those guys are mistake prone and King rarely makes mistakes or takes dumb penalties. Digs the puck outa the corners and makes a smart pass most of the time. He's also a more accurate shooter than those guys. That's why he can be trusted to jump up a line or two in a pinch.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Honestly, when was the last time the Kings had a better 3rd line LW? Here are the names the Kings used in that role in previous years:

Alexei Ponikarovsky
Brad Richardson
Kyle Calder
Sean Avery
Mikko Eloranta
Craig Johnson
Eric Lacroix

I think you guys get the point. King isn't going to tear it up with flashy offensive numbers, but at the very least he's a reliable option at LW who performs more consistently than anyone else this team has used at that position over the past number of years.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I'm happy with the contract. King is very steady and does exactly what Sutter wants from him out there. When you watch Clifford and Nolan out there, you see that they have more innate puck skills than King, but those guys are mistake prone and King rarely makes mistakes or takes dumb penalties. Digs the puck outa the corners and makes a smart pass most of the time. He's also a more accurate shooter than those guys. That's why he can be trusted to jump up a line or two in a pinch.

When you're out there throwing your body around like Clifford and Nolan, you're going to be out of position, you're going to end up taking a penalty or two.

Having said that, I'm fine with this signing, as I think pretty much everyone is.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Eh, he was more of a 2nd line LW. I know Smyth was #1 with Kopitar and Williams, but look at Frolov's ice time, he averaged the 3rd most numbers among wingers after Smyth and Brown at over 18 mins. Richardson's ice time was more in line with being the 3rd line LW on the roster at that time.

Plus let's not forget how much Frolov drove us all crazy with his disappearing act for long stretches and how the groin injuries slowed him down considerably.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
About what I expected. Was thinking $1.75 milllion AAV on a 2 year so would have thought about $1.9 million on a 3 year deal.
Fair deal. Higher AAV than I expected but at the price of a UFA year
It takes King directly to unrestricted free agency. He doesn't give up a year (he would be giving up a year if he was born 5 days earlier). He will be 26 on July 1, 2016.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
About what I expected. Was thinking $1.75 milllion AAV on a 2 year so would have thought about $1.9 million on a 3 year deal.
It takes King directly to unrestricted free agency. He doesn't give up a year (he would be giving up a year if he was born 5 days earlier). He will be 26 on July 1, 2016.

My mistake. Still not a bad deal.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Brad Richardson was underrated by the Kings, I would take him over Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan and Dwight King.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Honestly, when was the last time the Kings had a better 3rd line LW? Here are the names the Kings used in that role in previous years:

Alexei Ponikarovsky
Brad Richardson
Kyle Calder
Sean Avery
Mikko Eloranta
Craig Johnson
Eric Lacroix

I think you guys get the point. King isn't going to tear it up with flashy offensive numbers, but at the very least he's a reliable option at LW who performs more consistently than anyone else this team has used at that position over the past number of years.

Plus young with possible high end upside.

Ron*

Brad Richardson is only good against his former teams

Dude holds grudges. Bob, Jim and Patrick would always wind him up before we played the Avs. You could see it in his face that he wanted to prove them wrong for dumping him every single time.

He has flashes of brilliance but most of the time (about 99%) he just doesn't get it done.

He's holding grudges against former teams that let him go because he couldn't be counted on to be a day-to-day guy you can rely on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad