Kings News: Dwight King re-signs [3 years/$1.95M AAV]

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Per Jon Rosen-

According to financial information provided by CapGeek.com, the Kings now have 24 players signed for a total of $69.44 million. By the start of the season, they will need to have 23 players on the big club whose average annual values do not breach $69 million. Keep in mind Andy Andreoff, who carries a $550,000 cap hit and is not amongst the 24 players referenced, has a good shot at making the team.

Uhhh...what?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Again, you're seeing it from an arbitrator's POV, not Deano's. Yeah, if King went to arbitration, he probably would have been awarded 2.5M range, but in contract negotiations, those 15 goals are misleading. It's a good thing he had decent playoffs.

I can live with 1.95M. It's not great, but it doesn't hurt the team either.

Not once did i say hes worth the money he would get. I only seen what he was making what he did and who would be compareable as a king Lewis makes 1.5 million and didn't produce anything. King had 30 points playing up and down the lineup. There was no way that i could see that he would settle for less then lewis

Captain Mittens*

So next summer should be really fun.

I saw your tweet but you are not factoring in the rise in the Cap for next season.
I suck at this, but it looks scary to me

Player 2015-16

Forwards*(14)
Kopitar, Anze » $6,800,000
Brown, Dustin » $5,875,000
Richards, Mike » $5,750,000
Carter, Jeff » $5,272,727
Gaborik, Marian » $4,875,000
Williams, Justin » UFA
Stoll, Jarret » UFA
King, Dwight » $1,950,000
Lewis, Trevor » $1,525,000
Clifford, Kyle » RFA
Pearson, Tanner » RFA

Toffoli, Tyler » RFA
Nolan, Jordan » RFA
Cracknell, Adam » UFA

Defensemen*(7)
Doughty, Drew » $7,000,000
Voynov, Slava » $4,166,667
Regehr, Robyn » UFA
Greene, Matt » $2,500,000
Martinez, Alec » UFA
Muzzin, Jake » RFA
Schultz, Jeff » $850,000
Goaltenders*(2)
Quick, Jonathan » $5,800,000
Jones, Martin » RFA

Cap Space $16,635,606

Stoll and Williams would have to take paycuts and Martinez and/or Muzzin would have to take pretty hometown discount deals for this to work. I am guessing Regehr walks

If we guess that cap goes to 73 mil? (safe guess?) That gives us another 4 mil to play with.
$20,635,606

Stoll 3 mil
Williams 3 mil
Toffoli 2.5
Pearson 2
Martinez 3
Muzzin 4
Jones 2

That would give the Kings about 1,135,606 of cap space. I think these are pretty conservative estimates too. Bordering on too conservative.

Captain Mittens*

Per Jon Rosen-

According to financial information provided by CapGeek.com, the Kings now have 24 players signed for a total of $69.44 million. By the start of the season, they will need to have 23 players on the big club whose average annual values do not breach $69 million. Keep in mind Andy Andreoff, who carries a $550,000 cap hit and is not amongst the 24 players referenced, has a good shot at making the team.

Uhhh...what?

Capgeek is counting in Cracknell and Schultz as NHLers. it is also showing cap payroll of 68,791,894 not 69.44 mil (at least from what I am seeing)

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Except the fact that he's played around 40 games as our 1LW/2LW and scored 12 or 13 of his goals there.

Here are King's goals from last year. By my count 7 of them were scored playing on the "top" line (including his hat trick night), not 12 or 13.

Dwight King (1) (Shorthanded)
Unassisted
Dwight King (2)
Assist: Anze Kopitar

Dwight King (3)
Assists: Robyn Regehr, Justin Williams
Dwight King (4)

Dwight King (5)
Assists: Tyler Toffoli, Mike Richards
Dwight King (6)
Assists: Jake Muzzin, Justin Williams

Dwight King (7) (Shorthanded)
Assist: Linden Vey
Dwight King (8)
Assists: Jeff Carter, Jake Muzzin
Dwight King (9)
Assists: Drew Doughty, Jeff Carter

Dwight King (10)
Assists: Jeff Carter, Robyn Regehr

Dwight King (11)
Assist: Trevor Lewis
Dwight King (12)
Assists: Dustin Brown, Jake Muzzin
Dwight King (13)
Assist: Slava Voynov
Dwight King (14)
Assists: Dustin Brown, Willie Mitchell
Dwight King (15)
Assist: Jake Muzzin

Besides, do those goals not count or something?

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Here are King's goals from last year. By my count 7 of them were scored playing on the "top" line (including his hat trick night), not 12 or 13.

Dwight King (1) (Shorthanded)
Unassisted
Dwight King (2)

Dwight King (3)
Assists: Robyn Regehr, Justin Williams
Dwight King (4)

Dwight King (5)
Assists: Tyler Toffoli, Mike Richards
Dwight King (6)
Assists: Jake Muzzin, Justin Williams

Dwight King (7) (Shorthanded)
Assist: Linden Vey
Dwight King (8)
Assists: Jeff Carter, Jake Muzzin
Dwight King (9)
Assists: Drew Doughty, Jeff Carter

Dwight King (10)
Assists: Jeff Carter, Robyn Regehr

Dwight King (11)
Assist: Trevor Lewis
Dwight King (12)
Assists: Dustin Brown, Jake Muzzin
Dwight King (13)
Assist: Slava Voynov
Dwight King (14)
Assists: Dustin Brown, Willie Mitchell
Dwight King (15)
Assist: Jake Muzzin

Besides, do those goals not count or something?

That's not very reliable source imo. Besides, I said top 6.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
How much did the Flames sign Engelland for? Can anyone be upset about a contract for King at under $2MM AAV for three years?

The guy is an extremely boring hockey player. At the same time, he's better than Lewis or Clifford and deserves more than them for sure.

He doesn't make many mistakes, can skate well for a big man, can shuttle up to the Top 6 if needed and has the complete confidence of the coaching staff.

I wish he was mean and would use his size to punish people but I feel he's a very good 3LW option. Good signing.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Almost 100% that Schultz and Cracknell will start the season in Manchester. This year isnt the issue. Next year... big issue, even if you assume cap goes to $73M.

Regehr wont be back, but by then I'm confident DL has a replacement ready.

There's no way Stool, JDub, Muzz, A-Mart all take discounts to stay here. Especially not Muzzin or Martinez who are going to look to cash in. Stoll and JDub might, if they get longer terms with more cash up front, and make them cap friendly deals.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Without the cap going up, the Kings will have over $17M in cap space to re-sign Williams, Stoll, Martinez, Muzzin, Toffoli, Pearson, Nolan.

With the new national Canadian TV deal and other revenue streams, it's very likely to see the cap go up to $74M next season, which would give the Kings an additional $5M in cap space to retain the aforementioned players. So roughly $22M+ in cap room may be available next summer.

Captain Mittens*

That's on the low end of where it will end up. Remember that HUGE new Canadian TV deal kicks in next year. I'd say 74-76 is the likely range for next year.

n.

With the new national Canadian TV deal and other revenue streams, it's very likely to see the cap go up to $74M next season
Remember that the cap came in lower this year than expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
That's on the low end of where it will end up. Remember that HUGE new Canadian TV deal kicks in next year. I'd say 74-76 is the likely range for next year.

Was just going to say this. They used half of it or 100M this year it sounds like. So if we go at the 7% growth and then add the other 100M on we are at a cap of around 76M with 140M in benefits.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

That is because the PA didn't listen to Fehr,the guy, they hired to be the head. They only took half the money from the new TV deal and they could have added it all. And they also didn't use the 5% escalator. They were worried about escrow. And Fehr told them to get as much money into the system as they could.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Combination of factors played into that. The new tv contract should have fully come into play this year but players and teams agreed to delay it. Players for some reason did not decide to use their full escalator. Which is why it was lower.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Without the cap going up, the Kings will have over $17M in cap space to re-sign Williams, Stoll, Martinez, Muzzin, Toffoli, Pearson, Nolan.

With the new national Canadian TV deal and other revenue streams, it's very likely to see the cap go up to $74M next season, which would give the Kings an additional $5M in cap space to retain the aforementioned players. So roughly $22M+ in cap room may be available next summer.

This is my general hope as well. If it doesn't go up that much then a lot of teams are going to be scrambling for some money.

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
King Kong at 2M for 3 years not bad.

Sooner or later someone will have to go. It won't hurt, if Lombardi will find cheaper replacement.

scryan

May 1, 2013
nice...im guessing 1.75-2M

Those before you were guessing pretty low, I wish one of them were right, lol.

I was guessing 1.75. Then I second guessed myself and thought that may be low... Was a little afraid things were going to get crazy and we would hear something in the middle high 2's

I figure I was good anywhere under 2, but also just finished watching the 2012 cup video. I was fairly ready to loose the guy and be OK with it tbh. I'm fairly apathetic about the guy, but at least he generally does not make me worry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad