Cut/Released: Dwayne Haskins (signs with the Steelers)

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Myth. The whole reason Rivera was brought in was to change that exact culture and make players accountable.

Not to mention we have the vet QB to set an example. The last QB he tutored was a certain Mahomes.

When Landon Collins went down, the player vote was unanimous for Terry McLaurin to get the C. McLaurin also happened to come out of the same university and year as Haskins but the two could not be more different in how they approach the game.

The current CBA incentives both player and management to put their draft picks on the field ASAP. That's why you have cases like Dak displacing Romo and Tua starting midseason. So Rivera benching Haskins had to be the result of Haskins being severely lacking in learning how to play pro football.

Not sure we're in disagreement here. I'm pretty much calling Haskins an all-time bust.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He reminds me of Cade McCnown who Bears traded after just two seasons due to his pitiful performance , work ethic , etc

McNown (12th overall , 1999) with Bears
25 games (15 starts)
3-12 record
281/515 (54.6%)
3,111 yds
16 TD
19 INT

vs

Haskins (15th overall , 2019) with Washington
16 games (13 starts)
3-10 record
267/444 (60.1%)
2,804 yds
12 TD
14 INT

McNown was out of NFL after a year as Dolphins 3rd string QB and a year on IR with 49ers

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
A 15th overall is far from all-time bust especially at QB position

Guys like Leaf and Russell are far bigger disasters and were high picks

Those two are in a league of their own.

But in a modern context, in a league where even Trubisky can finish with decent looking statlines, Haskins' fall from grace seems notable to me.

Sep 19, 2008
pof3nqralc861.jpg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As a free agent, I doubt any team is going to guarantee him anything, be it in salary, SB, or roster spot. Everything will need to be earned.

I imagine that there is offset language in his rookie deal, so even if he signed for $800K-$1 mill with another team, that comes off what Washington would have owed him from his rookie deal.

You give him a shot, if he doesn't pan out, nothing lost and you move on. If he does get signed in the off-season, he needs to show up to every OTA, mini-camp, and be prepared to put in the work. If he is eligible for the PS next season, he could end up there rather than on the 53 man roster since the majority of teams carry only 2 QBs unless they have a rookie or 2nd year QB who hasn't played.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nah he will get some guaranteed $

A small signing bonus most likely and then rest of contract $ will be contingent on things such as being on roster , performance , etc

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's never a good sign when an agent fires a player.

Pretty big deal. I mean QBs make the most money if they are decent to good. Amount for a decent guy is like top end money for most other positions. That could be a big commission if Haskins turns it around.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If our QBs are Bridgewater and Haskins next year, I think I'll have to find a new team since it will obvious Tepper, whatever moron GM he hires, and Rhule have no clue what they're doing.
Teddy, I always viewed as a bridge QB between Cam and their next guy. But, with Teddy starting, the Panthers are not going to be a position to get a high enough pick. Right now, the expectation is that Howell, Daniels, Slovis would be 3 of the QBs for next year's draft who would go in the top 10.

Even if you are not moving up huge, it still cost the Jets 3 second round picks to go from 6 to 3, the Bills 2 second rounds to go from 12 to 7. So, if you are not within range, it's going to cost a lot to move into those spots to grab a QB.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Teddy, I always viewed as a bridge QB between Cam and their next guy. But, with Teddy starting, the Panthers are not going to be a position to get a high enough pick. Right now, the expectation is that Howell, Daniels, Slovis would be 3 of the QBs for next year's draft who would go in the top 10.

Even if you are not moving up huge, it still cost the Jets 3 second round picks to go from 6 to 3, the Bills 2 second rounds to go from 12 to 7. So, if you are not within range, it's going to cost a lot to move into those spots to grab a QB.
Beating the Foreskins late in the season literally destroyed our franchises future, for sure. We are literally f***ed now.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I guess the Panthers know that Wilson will be gone by the time the draft gets to #8 or something.

Some of these moves by Tepper (assuming they sign this guy) are really head-scratching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad