Speculation: Dustin Brown trade?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
And I'm glad that second half of the deal didn't go through because Rick Nash is a regular season player who likes going on vacation in April.

Not defend Rick Nash here because I'm certainly not a fan, but it's been the teams Rick Nash has been on that like going on vacation in April more than he does.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Doesn't seem like the Kings have had any trouble trading their captain in the past. The last 4 captains of the Kings were all traded at one point or another in their time with the Kings.

How many lead the Kings to the cup? He's a core piece on a cup contending team, if those last four had been as well do you think they get dealt?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
How many lead the Kings to the cup? He's a core piece on a cup contending team, if those last four had been as well do you think they get dealt?

Maybe some of the older King fans can go over all the past captains but it appears as though the Kings excel in trading their captains.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Maybe some of the older King fans can go over all the past captains but it appears as though the Kings excel in trading their captains.

Dating back to the early 90s, they've traded 4 of the last 5 team captains (if you do include Robitaille who was the interim captain while Gretzky was injured in '92-'93). The others being Gretzky, Blake, and Norstrom.

It's hard to believe that Brown is entering his sixth year as Kings captain and that it's been over a decade since he joined the organization. I always likened him to be a modern day Dave Taylor who pretty much became a grinder towards the end of his career. Not that Brown is reaching that point, but it seems like we're seeing where his game might go when he tones down on the physical play. And much like Taylor, Brown also excels when playing with better talent.

As critical as most of us are of Brown, and I am one of his biggest critics, I'm also well aware of what he brings and the immeasurable value he provides to this hockey club. I've learned to accept that he's going to be an inconsistent forward when it comes to production and would like to think that this season is just an anomaly that can be attributed to him missing training camp.

Look at his numbers throughout his career, he's constantly among the league leaders in hits and penalties drawn and has always been good for 20+ goals and 50+ points. How many forwards are there that can do what he does? That's when you learn to appreciate him more (but that is when he is playing the way he normally should be).

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

My point is that the situations were different. you mentioned the last four Kings captains were traded, so by that I assume you mean Rob Blake, Matthais Norstrom, Rob Blake again (was captain both before and after Nortsrom) and Wayne Gretzky.

Gretzky was traded as a UFA to be who was 35 and wasn't going to resign in LA. LA as well had mised the playoffs the previous two seasons and would miss they again the year Gretzky was traded, as well as the year after. We were in a rebuild.

Blake, essentially the same thing, though a contract dispute was added. He was a UFA to be, we were a team which, at that point, wasn't even in the playoff picture. He was dealt for future assets.

Norstrom, again, same thing, though I think Norstrom had one more year left on his deal. We however were set to finish with the 4th worst record and were just starting the rebuild under DL.

The second time Blake left as captain, he wasn't traded. He left as a UFA and signed in San Jose.

Point is, different set of circumstances. Brown if he was a UFA to be, or nearing the end of his career, on a team that is rebuilding or in the dark times, yeah, he'd be gone. Same as many other captains on other teams. Iginla, Morrow, etc.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA

I think a better question would be, have the kings traded their captain in the past who was still in their prime (Yeah, I know, DB is struggling with his brace on)?

Answer: No.

Captain Mittens*

I think a better question would be, have the kings traded their captain in the past who was still in their prime (Yeah, I know, DB is struggling with his brace on)?

Answer: No.
Blake was absolutely in his prime

Jul 31, 2005
CA
My point is that the situations were different. you mentioned the last four Kings captains were traded, so by that I assume you mean Rob Blake, Matthais Norstrom, Rob Blake again (was captain both before and after Nortsrom) and Wayne Gretzky.

Gretzky was traded as a UFA to be who was 35 and wasn't going to resign in LA. LA as well had mised the playoffs the previous two seasons and would miss they again the year Gretzky was traded, as well as the year after. We were in a rebuild.

Blake, essentially the same thing, though a contract dispute was added. He was a UFA to be, we were a team which, at that point, wasn't even in the playoff picture. He was dealt for future assets.

Norstrom, again, same thing, though I think Norstrom had one more year left on his deal. We however were set to finish with the 4th worst record and were just starting the rebuild under DL.

The second time Blake left as captain, he wasn't traded. He left as a UFA and signed in San Jose.

Point is, different set of circumstances. Brown if he was a UFA to be, or nearing the end of his career, on a team that is rebuilding or in the dark times, yeah, he'd be gone. Same as many other captains on other teams. Iginla, Morrow, etc.

I agree with you, I'm just saying for the fans that think Brown is a King for life history suggests otherwise. Brown' style of play is not meant for long term offensive success and we could be seeing the downside now. My rule of thumb when it comes to major injuries is you have to give the player a full offseason to train rather than rehab. With Brown's PCL surgery and his Cup captaincy he deserves a pass this season but if the trend continues next season I think that Hall Pass may get revoked.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Blake was absolutely in his prime

But we were out of the playoffs and his demands weren't helping the situation.

Brown loves it here in LA and we're expected to make it to the playoffs.

unless a major shakeup is needed and/or we're getting a great deal for Brown, he shouldn't be traded.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with you, I'm just saying for the fans that think Brown is a King for life history suggests otherwise. Brown' style of play is not meant for long term offensive success and we could be seeing the downside now. My rule of thumb when it comes to major injuries is you have to give the player a full offseason to train rather than rehab. With Brown's PCL surgery and his Cup captaincy he deserves a pass this season but if the trend continues next season I think that Hall Pass may get revoked.

Amen... we've seen enough examples of this (Williams broken leg comes to mind) - where the player was less effective the following season and then bounced right back when healthy a year later.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

None of the past captains were on such good teams and none were in the middle of the playing time. Most that we're traded we're at the end of their time and on bottom feeder teams. Plus Brown add so much more than the stats he puts up. I just don't see DL trading any of his core this season, we are one of 5-6 teams in the west that could win a cup. ( Chi, Stl, LA, SJ or Ana)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I agree, but wait--DID he have surgery? I thought the big commotion was that he slapped the brace on in lieu of it.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I agree, but wait--DID he have surgery? I thought the big commotion was that he slapped the brace on in lieu of it.

He didn't have surgery but he also didn't just slap a brace on. It was a choice that the team doctors, his own doctors and he made. And you would have to think that is surgery was needed they would have told him so.
Speaking with the team doctors and my personal doctors here in Ithaca, they all say the same thing, if I do the rehab and put the work in, it shouldn’t be an issue – not only next year, but for the rest of my career.â€
http://mayorsmanor.com/2013/07/dustin-brown-on-team-conditioning-and-his-injured-knee/

And about the brace it's also not his choice
The implication was clear. He then said of the team’s training staff, “If it were up to me, it would be gone tomorrow (but) they want me to wear it.â€
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/20...ing_wp_cron=1389136745.0153100490570068359375

ean

Nov 27, 2007
I haven't really done the research, but I notice his ice time and PP point totals are both down. I think his lower point totals are a product of him not being on the PP. At even strength im curious how his stats compare to years past.

As for whether he deserves to be on the PP right now, that's another story. But I remember at certain times in the past the Kings were running 1 D (Doughty) and 4F's. With Voynov/Muzzin/Martinez emerging offensively they seem to be running 2D 3F's? which leaves less forwards able to be on the PP and more likely Brown is left off.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

You're right, I should have said PCL injury. Who knows how much that took away from his training but I'm sure it impacted it. It just seems like NHL players who rehab major injuries during the summer have bad seasons, especially LA King players.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

If we are talking long term, then sure, he could be dealt. Really, how many players actually play their whole career with one team? I don't know if there is even one LA King great (or even solid) player who retired playing his whole career as a King, and likely several other teams can say the same thing. So it is entire possible Brown will be traded.

But if we are talking now, or even based on what is going on this season, then I disagree due to the fact that Brown is the captain of a cup contender. Now, I'm not saying it WON'T happen, because it could, especially when you factor in the contract extension that is coming next year, but the timing given how strong this team is and its cup chances, seems fairly remote.

I haven't really done the research, but I notice his ice time and PP point totals are both down. I think his lower point totals are a product of him not being on the PP. At even strength im curious how his stats compare to years past.

As for whether he deserves to be on the PP right now, that's another story. But I remember at certain times in the past the Kings were running 1 D (Doughty) and 4F's. With Voynov/Muzzin/Martinez emerging offensively they seem to be running 2D 3F's? which leaves less forwards able to be on the PP and more likely Brown is left off.

I did do some research and it is worth mentioning. His PP ice time is down, but only by 39 seconds per game, or about one shift per game. He's still getting 2:10 a game on the powerplay, and it likely can be argued the reduction has as much to do with his lack of production as anything else. Brown has netted one goal and three points all year on the powerplay. Last season Brown produced eight goals and 13 points on the powerplay.

At even strength, Brown is seeing just 13:59 a game, which is down 1:26 a game from last year. In total, Brown is seeing 2:39 a game less in ice time than he did last year, and that HAS to factor into the reduced offense somewhat. That said, this season Brown is scoring a point for every 51:46 of ice time this year. Last season, Brown scored a point for every 30:56 of ice time.

That's a huge difference. Huge. It basically takes Brown an extra 21 minutes this season to score a point, or an extra 1.25 games per point. That's a massive drop off offensively. The reduction in ice time likely is due to the lack of production. There has been five different stretches this season where Brown has failed to pick up a point in four or more straight games. That's just terrible for a top six forward.

Either he's hurt or he's having one of the worst years of his career.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Brown is absolutely part of the problem. His play this year has been very poor, and leaves a huge production hole on our left side. Mobility on the back end isn't making Brown turn the puck over, take bad angles, and stop throwing hits.

Except Brown hasn't really stopped throwing hits, especially lately.

It hasn't happened too often, but Brown plays some of his best hockey when he is centered by Stoll. Stoll's game is all north/south which means that Brown doesn't have to think too much, just get the puck to the net.

I thought that line was pretty good against the Wild. It was the only line getting the puck to the net on a consistent basis, just as they did against Vancouver the game before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad