Speculation: Dustin Brown trade?

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
I know that many LA fans love Brown (and they rightfully should, for being their captain), but do you think theres any chance that he could be traded in the future? His play and production this season has been down compared to prior seasons, and it certainly wouldn't be catastrophic for the team, as they are full of both gritty forwards, and leaders such as Brown.

If he were to be traded, what kind of return do you think you'd like to see?

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
I know that many LA fans love Brown (and they rightfully should, for being their captain), but do you think theres any chance that he could be traded in the future? His play and production this season has been down compared to prior seasons, and it certainly wouldn't be catastrophic for the team, as they are full of both gritty forwards, and leaders such as Brown.

If he were to be traded, what kind of return do you think you'd like to see?

Yakupov, Huberdeau
Or any other high reward, struggling winger to a team whom grit and leadership are needed

Edit: not that bardi would ever trade Brown for offensive young wingers.
The player would have to be;
*injured, coming off injury
*canadian/ American
* defensively aware
* built north and west but playing a n/s game
* dirty areas
Is Smyth injured?

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I can see it. Similar situation to a degree as Visnovsky. Long-term contract extension looming, not having a good season, possible. He is the captain and we are a cup contender though, so less likely, but I can see Lombardi worried about handcuffing himself a bit with Brown's extension.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know, I think we should start the rumors again, it turned out pretty well last time.

I don't think there was any real possibility he was going to get traded. The fact that he started playing better around that time was largely coincidental IMO.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
He's been awful this season (cue the PCL injury excuses). Like others have said the fact that he captained the first Kings team to the Cup gets Brown and some other players a pass. The more games these guys seem to get a pass and not produce offensively I have to wonder just who is untouchable on this team. Because the Kings won the Cup does that mean Brown is a King for life? That doesn't happen often in pro sports, the reality is at some point Brown will be playing for another team, just a matter of when and for who.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
As long as we are cup contenders Brown will be an LA King.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
the only way I see it is an a twilight year capacity.. a last chance to win the cup (again) with whatever top contender is out there at the time.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Still unsure if he's playing hurt or playing stupid, or both. Just gotta grind through the bad weather and hope the old Brown's going to pop out on the other side, like he always does.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
It doesn't help he is no longer playing with Kopi. I always felt he needs Kopi to excel. Him not being on the first unit PP doest help his numbers either. Not saying he deserves to be there, just my feeling on him.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
It's obvious that he was reliant on Kopi. We've always said and never in a mean manner because regardless of that he was producing offensively. Now he has an overpriced contract even if Brown is Brown of 2010. Now he is a marked man by the refs and takes 2.3 minutes worth of penalties a game.

I think all of that considered, it's not out of the realm of reality to think that he could be traded. He's a great trade chip much like Visnovsky.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's at his low point so I doubt he'd get traded anytime soon. Serious "buy low" candidate here. I, for one, think he's going to come out of this just fine and will be back in form soon enough. I know that's not a popular opinion around here and many seem to think he has fizzled out and is toast, but I respectfully disagree.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
thats really what Brown needs right now...a well-circulated trade rumor. i think we all remember what happened last time one of those was going around :sarcasm:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You don't see many teams trading their captain unless something goes wrong with the team, the captain, or both.

As long as the Kings are contenders, Brown isn't going anywhere. He's a central part of the whole thing. He's not Kopitar, Doughty, or Quick, but he is the captain. If they did trade Brown, he's currently at a low point in his value, so now would be a bad time to do it.

If Brown gets back to his usual 50+ point seasons, why would you trade him? If he doesn't get back to that level, then you're not going to get that much in return for him, because who wants 30 points on an almost $6 million cap hit? Sure, the cap is going to go up over the next few years, but why wouldn't the Kings just keep him in that case?

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Again Brown is not the problem. Our problem is mobility on the back end. Solve that and you will see our offensive numbers increase including Brown. Forwards playing 3 on 5 its tough to score. With Quick back in the net maybe just maybe the team gets a little more aggressive on the offensive end.

I am getting tired of watching the Kings playing playoff style hockey without the playoff intensity.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Yes, he should be traded. Just look at Anaheim and how much they improved by dumping their overpaid captain -- Getzlaf -- after that miserable 11 goal season he had in 2011-12.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Again Brown is not the problem. Our problem is mobility on the back end. Solve that and you will see our offensive numbers increase including Brown. Forwards playing 3 on 5 its tough to score. With Quick back in the net maybe just maybe the team gets a little more aggressive on the offensive end.

I am getting tired of watching the Kings playing playoff style hockey without the playoff intensity.

Brown is absolutely part of the problem. His play this year has been very poor, and leaves a huge production hole on our left side. Mobility on the back end isn't making Brown turn the puck over, take bad angles, and stop throwing hits.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
I don't think there was any real possibility he was going to get traded. The fact that he started playing better around that time was largely coincidental IMO.

The way I heard it was that when talking to Columbus about Carter, the names of Nash and Brown came up. Brown, Johnson and Bernier for Nash and Carter. The deal obviously didn't go down but it's wasn't like LA was just giving Brown away

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The way I heard it was that when talking to Columbus about Carter, the names of Nash and Brown came up. Brown, Johnson and Bernier for Nash and Carter. The deal obviously didn't go down but it's wasn't like LA was just giving Brown away

And I'm glad that second half of the deal didn't go through because Rick Nash is a regular season player who likes going on vacation in April.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00