Speculation: Dustin Brown trade?

KingKopitar11*

If Brown gets traded it has to be an overpayment, you might think this is funny, but being one of the most hated players in the league increases your value a ton because it's an intangible. I know a lot of people want brown's head on a silver platter, but man the hate he gets is too valuable to the kings. It's a weapon in itself.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Brown gets traded it has to be an overpayment, you might think this is funny, but being one of the most hated players in the league increases your value a ton because it's an intangible. I know a lot of people want brown's head on a silver platter, but man the hate he gets is too valuable to the kings. It's a weapon in itself.

I don't buy that, otherwise guys like Ott, Torres, kaleta, et. al. would be fetching a different sum.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

Can you clarify your point? As it stands, it doesn't make much sense to me. Thanks.

KingKopitar11*

I don't buy that, otherwise guys like Ott, Torres, kaleta, et. al. would be fetching a different sum.

Can you clarify your point? As it stands, it doesn't make much sense to me. Thanks.

Brown has a much more of a skillset than Ott, Torres, and all the junk listed.

Brown is a top 6 winger any way you look at it. And adding a player known to get other teams off their game is a valuable attribution to have. Theres reason why Ott and Torres haven't hit waivers yet considering the fact they aren't skilled.

Brown's skilled and he has the ability to get teams to react to him without little to no agitation at all. That's pretty valuable.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Brown is a top 6 winger any way you look at it. And adding a player known to get other teams off their game is a valuable attribution to have. Theres reason why Ott and Torres haven't hit waivers yet considering the fact they aren't skilled.

Brown's skilled and he has the ability to get teams to react to him without little to no agitation at all. That's pretty valuable.

Well, i fully agree with your assessment of his skillset, but he's also a pretty unique player in that regard. There's not much of a precedent for moving a guy like Brown--very few are in his company. Not that I'm making any sort of comparison, but I remember seeing some stat on the players with x points and x hits and it was just him and Ovechkin. Never mind his ability to draw penalties. if you're saying his value gets additions becasue of intangibles, I can agree with that. If you're saying it's because specifically he's a dick, I'm not so sure.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

serenity now

Dec 12, 2009
Lower California
My son and I were talking about this very topic the other night after the Eklund rumor regarding Kane came up.

Brownie is our most trade-able asset. His grit, leadership, skill set, contract make him the first guy they ask about when Den's phone rings. Kopi not going anywhere, Doughty not going anywhere, Carter not going anywhere, Slava not going anywhere. Brown is probably next on list.

That being said, Kings would have to drop out of playoff picture for a week or 2 in order to set wheels in motion. There are 29 other teams that would love to have DB on their roster. Glad he is on our team

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
DL's not going to trade Brown.

Unlike so many "what have you done for me lately" fans, DL knows that when it's all said and done, Brownie will score around 25 goals. Maybe not this year, due to his injury, but the past 5 years, he's proven, he's pretty steady player to have. Not to mention that he's the captain.

Besides, DL is all about buy low, sell high, not the other way around.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
DL's not going to trade Brown.

Unlike so many "what have you done for me lately" fans, DL knows that when it's all said and done, Brownie will score around 25 goals. Maybe not this year, due to his injury, but the past 5 years, he's proven, he's pretty steady player to have. Not to mention that he's the captain.

Besides, DL is all about buy low, sell high, not the other way around.

A beacon of hope!

Captain Mittens*

I know that many LA fans love Brown (and they rightfully should, for being their captain), but do you think theres any chance that he could be traded in the future? His play and production this season has been down compared to prior seasons, and it certainly wouldn't be catastrophic for the team, as they are full of both gritty forwards, and leaders such as Brown.

If he were to be traded, what kind of return do you think you'd like to see?
Your Mom and an Xbox

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
No. The last time an L.A. team traded their team captain off, they didn't last long enough in the playoffs and got the worst record the season after.

I'm referring to the 2004 L.A. Dodgers, when it traded off Paul LoDuca. It's already sad that when the Dodgers were finally gelling in chemistry, Frank McCourt (a Red Sox fan) dismantled that team and sent Dave Roberts to the Red Sox. :shakehead

Please, for the love of God, The City of Angels, the late Jack Kent Cooke, and the Los Angeles Kings, keep Dustin Brown and the chemistry the team has intact!

Also, I intend to add this: when the NY sports media were calling to trade Mariano Rivera, Ramiro Mendoza, Bernie Williams, and other homegrown players for aging stars, guess what the Yankees did? They kept them. How did the homegrown players reward the team? A DYNASTY and a Three-peat: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000.

To elaborate: keep Dustin Brown, let alone the team as it is, and he shall reward the front office by leading the team to reach and achieve the same goal as the 90s Yankees did.

Last edited:

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Now that richards is here i can see them making him captain and trading brown

Last I checked, Richards got chewed in Philly, throughout his captaincy there. Here in L.A., Mike Richards thrives as an Alternate Captain at best, especially when Dustin has proven himself to be the Heart and Soul amongst the players of the L.A. Kings.

Also, I previously elaborated and made comparisons on the post above you.

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Trading him won't be an issue for another 1 to 2 years. Then, due to his salary and
other personnel coming onto the team, he will be traded.

I predict this will happen during, or after,
the 2015-16 season.

But he's safe for now.

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
I love Brownie. But I think you guys are massively overvaluing Brown in the eyes of other teams. He's not even close to the near ppg stud he was right now. We would not get Huberdeau. He got 14 points in 42 games last year. Hubs got 17 and he's a child.

KingKopitar11*

I would never want Richards to be captain, if I would ever have to choose it'd probably be Kopitar or Doughty as a close second choice.

Why Doughty, because he'sa really passionate player and you can tell from his honest interviews he's not afraid to talk.

But that's just talk. Brown will not go.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Why? Richards has been no better than Brown.

I think the logical choice for captain is Doughty. The dude is still very young, locked up long term and has the Kings tattooed on his ass....would love to see that.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Why? Richards has been no better than Brown.

I think the logical choice for captain is Doughty. The dude is still very young, locked up long term and has the Kings tattooed on his ass....would love to see that.

No the logical choice for captain is Brown that's why he has the C and it will stay there as long as Brown is here

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
No the logical choice for captain is Brown that's why he has the C and it will stay there as long as Brown is here

You do know this thread is about the speculation of a Dustin Brown trade, right? Therefore, hypothetically, if he was traded, we would need a new captain....right?

But you go ahead, you got this.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love Brownie. But I think you guys are massively overvaluing Brown in the eyes of other teams. He's not even close to the near ppg stud he was right now. We would not get Huberdeau. He got 14 points in 42 games last year. Hubs got 17 and he's a child.

You're looking at this year's stats. Brown had 18 goals and 29 points last year. Hubs still outpaced him point-wise, but only by a couple of points. Just a point of clarity. Still, we're comparing apples and oranges if you're comparing Brown to Huberdeau.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
We won't be trading Brown. When he is on he can win games on his own so to speak. This year he hasn't had to do to our fantastic start. We hit the 5 game losing streak and his play picked up and he was great vs Vancouver. He may not be 100% healthy and may be coasting a bit because the team was winning. I am sure come playoffs he will hit beast mode when needed.

By the time his contract becomes an issue the cap will be a lot higher and it will not be as bad as we now precieve.

He has earned a little bit of leeway, let's stop crapping on him cause we all will be gushing about him come playoffs

scryan

May 1, 2013
I'd rather know his true health status.

I read something from Sutter that got me thinking about that...

He’s struggled in that whole part. Brownie’s game has been a struggle from day one. Right from last spring,†Sutter said. “It’s like whenever Brownie has a good game, everybody always [says], ‘Oh, jeez, that’s Brown,’ and they look at the [scoresheet], and it says that he got eight hits, or scored two goals, and they’ll go ‘hopefully that’ll get him going.

He’s not playing as assertive of a game along the wall, and going to the net, for sure. For sure.

I mean, I don’t like being critical of Brownie because Brownie gives you what he’s got.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2014/01/03/brown-i-could-be-a-hell-of-a-lot-better/

I never considered much that Browns problem was health related... But I dunno.
Something about the way Sutter seems "fine" in the interview with Brown's level of play almost seems like he is understanding of some reason (health) that Brown would be both giving it all he has AND ineffective. Sutter is not one to shy away from saying "well he needs to be able to ____ that is what is expected of him. That doesn't seem to be the case and "what is expected of him" doesn't seem to be quite the same...

Maybe I am reading too much in, but I find Sutter somewhat plays with the media and while a lot of the times it doesn't seem like he is saying much, the devil is in the details.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Doesn't seem like the Kings have had any trouble trading their captain in the past. The last 4 captains of the Kings were all traded at one point or another in their time with the Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad