News Article: Dundon on the Arena

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I mean with our lease it shouldn't be too ****ing hard to make things work here. Almost the entire league that doesn't own their stadium would trade lease terms with us in a ****ing second.

The more Tom opens his mouth the more I feel like we're being Rachel Phelpsed.

He says that because the arena lease expires in 5 years. Why would he want to commit to an aging stadium for another 10-20 years if there’s no official commitment to improving the building to be a world class venue? PNC arena is starting to show its age if you take a look around other stadiums across the country. I think Dundon has every intention to keep this team in Carolina, but he really values having a world class facility. If Dundon can’t get a downtown stadium here or get PNC arena updated (the numbers are supposedly around $150-200M in renovations) then Dundon will pull the team out of Carolina unfortunately. And honestly I can’t blame him if one these projects can’t be committed to. I’ll hate him for that, but it just makes sense.

That said I don’t think a downtown stadium will ever happen. It’s going to require public funding and there’s just not enough people around here who’d care enough to pay more taxes for that. But I think there’s creative ways the Centennial Authority & Gale Force Holdings can come up with a way to fund the renovations needed to make PNC a world class facility again.

JacquesCousteau

a great caniac
Jun 6, 2018
I'm looking forward to Sara Civian's upcoming article that will add additional color to the arena conversation. The "in Raleigh" comment really hit me the wrong way. However, the I get the concept of "negotiation via media." He may be trying to motivate the powers that be with the message that it's time to get on board with renovations/improvements, or get left behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad