News Article: Dundon on the Arena

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
41D1A142-109D-4BF3-9ADB-3E5E2407B77F.jpeg

You can zoom in, took it off of a FB fan page.

Looks like Dundon wants a downtown arena.
Wanting to turn things into a profit, losing 10-20 million a year is not good.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
When the Canes were up for sale we were assured that the 16-17 season was profitable--if I remember correctly the number was $3-4M before the Vegas fee to each team. Now we are being told the team is losing as much as $20M.
Also the "seven year guarantee" about relocation was connected with the PNC/Centennial Authority lease.
I believe MinJaBen referred to Occam's Razor a while back. It seems we are more likely dealing with Orwell's Ministry of Truth.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Some people who I talk hockey regularly via text sent me that article & weren’t exactly thrilled.

I told them that the only 2 cities that are “in the queue” are Houston (though Austin is being talked about now?) & QC. Maybe there is somewhere I missed? And Arizona would have to move 1st, right?

I’ll save my hot taek for another time.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If the team is still bad in 7 years then put them out of their misery. Unfortunately that is looking more likely if the owner is complaining about current $20 million in losses, wanting to decrease that to $10 million in losses, all while being $20 million below where the contenders are spending. That is a ~$30 million gap in expectation vs. reality.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Legitimately pisses me off that there is an owner in the league with local ties that is spending what it takes to build a winner in a similar market and we get this cheapass.

Unfortunate timing. PK wasn't interested in selling till a couple years later. In fairness, if Vinnik sold the lightning now he'd clear a cool couple hundred mil at least in profit from the purchase/sale.

Lacking public transport beyond buses, i fail to see how a downtown arena fixes their problems. Pnc isn't in the middle of nowhere like ottawa or phoenix or rays in tampa bay, it's off the interstate ffs.

At least the city of raleigh and the wolfpack also want a downtown multipurpose arena. So the battle is over who pays for what, and if wake and the state pony up again after only 20 years of pnc/rbc.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
When the Canes were up for sale we were assured that the 16-17 season was profitable--if I remember correctly the number was $3-4M before the Vegas fee to each team.

1) that (likely) included projected revenue sharing, since it's calculated post season. Dundon might not be doing that (so the "10 mil in loss" limit is really break even after revenue sharing).

2) hockey teams are funded with short term loans, repaid as revenue comes in throughout the year (which is why signing bonuses are anathema to poor teams- you don'ttake out a loan for that). Deficits are funded with longer term loans. The team has run up some impressive deficits esp in the early 2000's. This stuff compounds, making it harder to get loans with low interest payments, which is why pk had to dip into his kids trust fund and why the team was a hard sell.

Creative accounting can move that stuff off the books (among other things, what caused the crash in 2008). Here Dundon is putting it front and center as he begs for public money for a downtown arena.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
"When is it irresponsible to be here?"

Wow.

Let me ask the corollary question: "when is it irresponsible to spend my money supporting this team?"

So he's gonna run the arena scam, and we're gonna lose. That's pretty much what the first salvo looks like.

What's insane is how early he brought it up. Not 10 months into his ownership.

He's either posturing (my guess) or didn't do his due diligence properly on the financial side here.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Hey look, it’s Karmanos in Hartford all over again just like I speculated before the sale was even done.

Enjoy the last few years fellas.

At least karmanos wasn't entirely wrong about needing an upgrade.

There's no rail system here to make mass exodus downtown 80+ times a year (canes + wokfpack+ additional concerts) orderly. Pnc location is right off the beltway and interstate while only 5 min from downtown, its easy to get in/out.

He has zero case on why a downtown arena would improve anything. This is the opening for his exit after year 3.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
At least karmanos wasn't entirely wrong about needing an upgrade.

There's no rail system here to make mass exodus downtown 80+ times a year (canes + wokfpack+ additional concerts) orderly. Pnc location is right off the beltway and interstate while only 5 min from downtown, its easy to get in/out.

He has zero case on why a downtown arena would improve anything. This is the opening for his exit after year 3.

If a downtown arena won’t work, and the current one doesn’t work, isn’t the next logical step, this area isn’t going to work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad