Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Sam Colangelo to ELC (2 years, $925k AAV)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Nope. It was dumb to begin with to not sign Colangelo to a current contract. Remember, we have proof of Verbeek trying to make a prospect sign a future contract instead of a current contract with Nesterenko last year. Nesterenko stood his ground and got the current contract instead.
Ultimately we have no knowledge of the details of contract negotiations for really any player in this organization nor will we ever. As long as everything ends up working out for everything involved, feeling some type of way towards either side feels pointless

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I was definitely one of those who thought it was a bad (or at least weird) omen that he didn't sign right away.

My complete speculation is this: it was just a feeling out period. Both parties were open to the other, but wanted to see it up close. Maybe it was more on Colangelo's side, i.e. is this an organization I want to commit to for the next five years? Maybe it was more on Verbeek's side, i.e. is this a player who's worthy of a contract slot and an NHL try out? Maybe it was both.

I could be totally wrong on that. But it makes sense that Colangelo would get a try out in San Diego so the organization could get a closer look at him and he could get a closer look at how the organization would treat him. If that's the case, the fact that he signed is great news, since it means both were happy.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ultimately we have no knowledge of the details of contract negotiations for really any player in this organization nor will we ever. As long as everything ends up working out for everything involved, feeling some type of way towards either side feels pointless

I'm relieved we signed Sam, but ignoring odd situations that recur is like trying to whitewash history. You can wipe away what has happened doesn't mean others have abide by what you want.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm relieved we signed Sam, but ignoring odd situations that recur is like trying to whitewash history. You can wipe away what has happened doesn't mean others have abide by what you want.
Didn’t say it wasn’t an odd situation. Just that we don’t (and won’t) know the reason they went this route so I’m not going to put blame on either side, and anyone who does is just speculating

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I could be totally wrong on that. But it makes sense that Colangelo would get a try out in San Diego so the organization could get a closer look at him and he could get a closer look at how the organization would treat him. If that's the case, the fact that he signed is great news, since it means both were happy.

The org doesn't know what they have in Colangelo so they have to do a tryout for him in San Diego? That doesn't speak well of our scouting dept. And Colangelo doesn't know our org? That doesn't speak well for our org as well.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Forgive my ignorance, I know I'm excited for him and have been hoping he will sign because of his progress and play in college, but I've never watched him, what player role does he fill? Playmaker? Sniper? Power forward? Two way?

Thanks in advance

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This is the weirdest process I've seen with this type of a situation.

Honestly, if I was repping sam I would not have advised playing on a PTO with a contract in the wings.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Didn’t say it wasn’t an odd situation. Just that we don’t (and won’t) know the reason they went this route so I’m not going to put blame on either side, and anyone who does is just speculating

Factual points.

• 2023. Verbeek cites Nesterenko was signed to a futures contract and a PTO with San Diego. Later, it is changed to a current contract.

• 2024. Colangelo signs a PTO with San Diego. Later, he signs a current ELC.

The point is we don't have to know the reason to know something isn't cohesive. We just know it's now a recurring situation under Verbeek.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I was never really worried because I thought it was a common occurrence that some prospects have this happen. (ATO then sign a deal?)

Either way a good, albeit small positive with improving this shit team

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I was never really worried because I thought it was a common occurrence that some prospects have this happen. (ATO then sign a deal?)

Either way a good, albeit small positive with improving this shit team
It's only normal if they want the ELC to start the following year, which yes, does happen often.

To sign a PTO and then an ELC within two weeks with no further benefit known other than his signature existing at all, is weird.

Reactions: Ducksforcup

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
And each ELC comes with a different dollar amount
The variability in ELCs for guys in Colangelo's situation does not vary significantly. There's a maximum amount teams can offer. Adam Fox only got $925,000 on his ELC. I think bonuses are a bit more flexible, but I think those are capped as well.

I think it's a valid question as to whether he was putting himself at risk by playing before he'd signed the ELC, but I don't know that it's that big of a deal. Clearly he was okay with it - he was still playing for his college team and he could just as easily have been hurt there.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Forgive my ignorance, I know I'm excited for him and have been hoping he will sign because of his progress and play in college, but I've never watched him, what player role does he fill? Playmaker? Sniper? Power forward? Two way?

Thanks in advance
Power forward with a decent knack for scoring in his college season this year.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
The variability in ELCs for guys in Colangelo's situation does not vary significantly. There's a maximum amount teams can offer. Adam Fox only got $925,000 on his ELC. I think bonuses are a bit more flexible, but I think those are capped as well.

I think it's a valid question as to whether he was putting himself at risk by playing before he'd signed the ELC, but I don't know that it's that big of a deal. Clearly he was okay with it - he was still playing for his college team and he could just as easily have been hurt there.

The minimum is like $775 or something. Its not millions but if its an extra $75k a year, a 4 game try out to make that extra money, could, be something. Im not saying Im right, i was just throwing out a guess. Its more likely he signed teh PTO just so he could be playing while they worked out the ELC. Either way, it seems there was a reason/plan.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
1712865882379.png

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
So he's gonna be an RFA after the end of next season. Short ELC. Is this normal for 4 yr college prospects?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
So he's gonna be an RFA after the end of next season. Short ELC. Is this normal for 4 yr college prospects?
Yes, because ELC length is dependent on the age you sign. The older you are, the shorter the ELC. I don’t have the exact details on the cutoffs for 1, 2, and 3 year ELCs, but if you are interested you can probably find it on CapFriendly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad