Ducks next captain…

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
looking back throughout the team's history, the only time there was ever a "placeholder" captain was when randy ladouceur had the C for kariya's first two seasons before they gave it to PK

but if there's any time to do that again, it's right now with guys like zegras, mctavish, carlsson, and mintyukov not ready yet. i'd rather they just not name a captain at all until they feel one of those guys is ready

Dj Straumfjord

Aug 29, 2021
I've got four names of players who will likely wear the C if they name a captain this offseason.

MacTavish
Fowler
Terry
Leason

If they want a few years I could see
Tracey or Gaucher wearing it as well

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I've got four names of players who will likely wear the C if they name a captain this offseason.

MacTavish
Fowler
Terry
Leason

I think the general consensus is if it was going to be Fowler, it would have happened by now. Doubtful it will be Leason, he's an OK 4th liner but probably not a guy for leadership role. Virtually 0 chance it'll be Tracey out Gaucher (Gaucher will still be working on establishing himself in a few years and Tracey may never make the big club).

For older guys/stop gap captains, I think Killorn or Gudas are the ones posters have talked about. For younger guys, the Terry, McTavish, or possibly Zegras.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

MacTavish
Fowler
Terry
Leason

-Tracey will be lucky to be a hockey player still in a few years
-gaucher is not even a sure fire nhler

- terry too passive to be captain imo
-fowler never in a million years, unless our goal is to have no emotion ever
-leason might not even be on the team next year(tho I hope we bring him back

Mctavish could become a leader…. But right now he’s not close

Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
fowler would've gotten the C after getzlaf retired if they saw him as captain material. the fact that he didn't says it all (thank god)

mctavish is the only guy on the team right now who i could see getting it in the future. until then, i think they'll just keep going without one. can't see gudas or killorn getting the C for a season or two

Reactions: McDonald19

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
fowler would've gotten the C after getzlaf retired if they saw him as captain material. the fact that he didn't says it all (thank god)

mctavish is the only guy on the team right now who i could see getting it in the future. until then, i think they'll just keep going without one. can't see gudas or killorn getting the C for a season or two
Give it to Zegras and be legends

Dj Straumfjord

Aug 29, 2021
I think the general consensus is if it was going to be Fowler, it would have happened by now. Doubtful it will be Leason, he's an OK 4th liner but probably not a guy for leadership role. Virtually 0 chance it'll be Tracey out Gaucher (Gaucher will still be working on establishing himself in a few years and Tracey may never make the big club).

For older guys/stop gap captains, I think Killorn or Gudas are the ones posters have talked about. For younger guys, the Terry, McTavish, or possibly Zegras.
Personally I think it should be Fowler

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Terry’s exit interview quotes about leadership don’t really give me any hope for him to wear the C. If you have to read books or listen to podcasts on leadership, you aren’t the guy. Period. Especially in a room full of hockey players.

If you have to study for a test, you dont deserve to pass the test. If you try to read books to better yourself, you dont deserve to be better. If you just arent a natural born leader that does everything off of feel and instinct, you must be a bad leader and dont deserve to be a leader.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

MacTavish
Fowler
Terry
Leason

Leason? Tracey? What have I missed where they should even be in the conversation? For Tracey it doesn’t even look like he’s NHL bound at this point, let alone a captain.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
If you have to study for a test, you dont deserve to pass the test. If you try to read books to better yourself, you dont deserve to be better. If you just arent a natural born leader that does everything off of feel and instinct, you must be a bad leader and dont deserve to be a leader.
Everything you described is fair for every day life, not for professional athletes.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You're not giving it to him just to have somebody, that's what you're doing with 3 As. Just having somebody on the ice who can speak to the officials.

3 As has not worked. F that. I'm tired of these guys making stupid mistakes and never being accountable. Maybe when Gudas tells you to stop taking penalties in the O zone you listen. Maybe when Gudas tells you to pay attention and stop f***ing up line changes that turn into too many men penalties you listen.

Gudas was new to the team this year so I'm not saying he should have been given the C this year. But he's proven enough to me be given the job for the next two years. It's not for the next 10 years.
FWIW, the Boston Bruins during the Harry Sinden as coach era did not have a captain; they went with 3 Alternates (4 in one year) and Johnny Bucyk and Phil Esposito were two of them throughout. It worked pretty well; but then Bucyk and Esposito were skilled, tenured and respected players, so it's not the same as our group by ANY means. I tend to agree that in our case we need a respected player with the will and authority to take charge. Interestingly, during that era in Boston Bobby Orr never wore a letter except for an A in 1975

I was actually thinking this after the Kings game about Z. I'm not sure if he's ready but it would lend some weight to how tough they are on him if they see him as a future Captain or Alternate. Maybe that opens the door for someone like Stamkos to come be captain for a few years to teach the young guys to be stars for a few years while Z matures a bit more.
I like this kind of thinking and if we can land Stamkos, I think he'd be the guy.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
FWIW, the Boston Bruins during the Harry Sinden as coach era did not have a captain; they went with 3 Alternates (4 in one year) and Johnny Bucyk and Phil Esposito were two of them throughout. It worked pretty well; but then Bucyk and Esposito were skilled, tenured and respected players, so it's not the same as our group by ANY means. I tend to agree that in our case we need a respected player with the will and authority to take charge. Interestingly, during that era in Boston Bobby Orr never wore a letter except for an A in 1975

I like this kind of thinking and if we can land Stamkos, I think he'd be the guy.
Well, those were some pretty talented teams and the two you mentioned were future HOFers along with that Orr guy. I'd be curious why they didn't name a captain, but as you pointed out their situation was far from ours. Maybe they had so many qualified guys they didn't want to piss anybody off by choosing one.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
even though i dont think it should be him (im more in favor of Zegras getting it now), but I would laugh so much if they just go with Fowler after all this time

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Everything you described is fair for every day life, not for professional athletes.

No one is a perfect leader from the start. You can argue most guys that get the C when they are young dont deserve it yet or dont know how to do it yet. But they turn to others to pick up stuff from. They call guys, they pick stuff up on the ice, they learn as they go and Ill bet you that more than a few have read a book or two. We just talk about that stuff more now than we used to.

Admitting you read or listen to advise shouldn't be a knock against a guy.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Still feels too early to give it to one of the kids. I’d be okay with giving it to a guy like Gudas on an interim basis for like a year, maybe two, and let the kids tryout for that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad