Ducks next captain…

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Terry is working his way toward one quality that Getzlaf had that Zegras did not. His hair is thinning quick, with less hair there's more time for leadership (not sure if it's really thinning or the last time I saw him without a helmet on was just a badly combed day)

Reactions: robbieboy3686

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think he prob doesn’t need a letter to be a leader on the team…. I don’t recall him wearing a letter in the world juniors but he def was a leader .

I just don’t know who else has the right qualities to be a team leader…. Terry to me is just a forward fowler…. Don’t think he’s the type of leader we need.

Mctavish/carlsson don’t really fit …. Could see them with A on their jersey tho.

Maybe it’s gauthier /shrug
I wouldn't rule Carlsson out. Sure he's got the stutter but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts demonstrating more leadership qualities. Plus I think the stutter is worse on camera.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The kids aren’t ready, and giving it to the wrong one then having to take it away from them is significantly worse than not having one at all. Plenty of players don’t play well with an A, much less a C, the additional pressure gets in their heads and their play suffers for it. They need to progress through the ranks.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
as long as we are in the neighborhood of picking top 5 I don’t think we should name a captain. We should give the young top picks a chance to make their leadership pitch before we commit since top picks often come with captain pedigree.

I also hate the thought of a young captain having to routinely take ownership for the inability of shitty vets. I know that’s not really a problem going forward the way it would have been in these last few seasons but it’s still a concern of mine

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don’t think we need a captain until the team is moving in the right direction and someone takes it

Right now no one has really taken the reigns
I'm not sure this team can move in the right direction without having a leader from within. With all the dumb shit that goes on with these guys, it's obvious there isn't anybody internally, behind clubhouse doors, demanding accountability. It's pretty obvious through two coaches that outsiders/management aren't getting through. It's time we force the players to come together internally by having a captain who will demand it of his peers. I think this team needs that and I think Gudas is the man for the job.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not sure this team can move in the right direction without having a leader from within. With all the dumb shit that goes on with these guys, it's obvious there isn't anybody internally, behind clubhouse doors, demanding accountability. It's pretty obvious through two coaches that outsiders/management aren't getting through. It's time we force the players to come together internally by having a captain who will demand it of his peers. I think this team needs that and I think Gudas is the man for the job.

I think you go with 3 As and yes gudas would be 1 of them.

But I think you need someone to take/earn the C …. Don’t just give it to have someone

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think you go with 3 As and yes gudas would be 1 of them.

But I think you need someone to take/earn the C …. Don’t just give it to have someone

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You're not giving it to him just to have somebody, that's what you're doing with 3 As. Just having somebody on the ice who can speak to the officials.

3 As has not worked. F that. I'm tired of these guys making stupid mistakes and never being accountable. Maybe when Gudas tells you to stop taking penalties in the O zone you listen. Maybe when Gudas tells you to pay attention and stop f***ing up line changes that turn into too many men penalties you listen.

Gudas was new to the team this year so I'm not saying he should have been given the C this year. But he's proven enough to me be given the job for the next two years. It's not for the next 10 years.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I like Gudas for it, or Zegras as my darkhorse candidate. The team goes as Z goes, he energizes everyone. Just need to utilize it.
I was actually thinking this after the Kings game about Z. I'm not sure if he's ready but it would lend some weight to how tough they are on him if they see him as a future Captain or Alternate. Maybe that opens the door for someone like Stamkos to come be captain for a few years to teach the young guys to be stars for a few years while Z matures a bit more.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You're not giving it to him just to have somebody, that's what you're doing with 3 As. Just having somebody on the ice who can speak to the officials.

3 As has not worked. F that. I'm tired of these guys making stupid mistakes and never being accountable. Maybe when Gudas tells you to stop taking penalties in the O zone you listen. Maybe when Gudas tells you to pay attention and stop f***ing up line changes that turn into too many men penalties you listen.

Gudas was new to the team this year so I'm not saying he should have been given the C this year. But he's proven enough to me be given the job for the next two years. It's not for the next 10 years.

I'd love Gudas to take the C, but throw in the dynamic that Fowler earned the right to wear the C after Getz retired, then it's not a great look to bypass Fowler for Gudas. Fowler had proven he's a great teammate, taking on babysitting duties without complaint, and taking on too many minutes to shelter the kids.

Because of that cringe dynamic situation it would create, I'd probably just go with 3 A's because that's what our new GM wanted.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'd love Gudas to take the C, but throw in the dynamic that Fowler earned the right to wear the C after Getz retired, then it's not a great look to bypass Fowler for Gudas. Fowler had proven he's a great teammate, taking on babysitting duties without complaint, and taking on too many minutes to shelter the kids.

Because of that cringe dynamic situation it would create, I'd probably just go with 3 A's because that's what our new GM wanted.
I can appreciate what you are saying, but I think this team needs tough love. That just isn’t Cam. As long as sports jobs remain on the merit system Cam just isn’t qualified for the job. The captain needs to carry the management message (accountability) to the locker room where management can’t go. And, IMO, we can’t keep waiting for someone to show they want it.

Obviously, PV has a lot to say what they will or won’t do.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

The fact that Fowler didn’t get the C when Getzlaf retired is why he shouldn’t get it now.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The fact that Fowler didn’t get the C when Getzlaf retired is why he shouldn’t get it now.
I like Fowler a lot, but I think this is right. If he was going to get the mantle, he would have gotten it when Getzlaf retired and Fowler still had a bunch of years left on his contract. Whatever reason they had for not giving it to him - whether Fowler wasn't the right fit or they had one of the kids in mind - it's just as applicable now as it was then.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Under new mgmt, Verbeek has been reserving it for one of the youths. Can't say Fowler doesn't deserve it when your GM excludes you from the list from the get go and willing to roll with three A's for the past two seasons.

We've had one-year Captains before. Going without a Captain is a Verbeek thing.

Again, I'd be glad to have Gudas as captain, but it's also looks bad in bypassing Fowler.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Under new mgmt, Verbeek has been reserving it for one of the youths. Can't say Fowler doesn't deserve it when your GM excludes you from the list from the get go and willing to roll with three A's for the past two seasons.

We've had one-year Captains before. Going without a Captain is a Verbeek thing.

Again, I'd be glad to have Gudas as captain, but it's also looks bad in bypassing Fowler.
I don’t think choosing a captain should be about who deserves it or who got bypassed. It should be about who is best for the job.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t think choosing a captain should be about who deserves it or who got bypassed. It should be about who is best for the job.

Welp, according to our GM, it's gotta be a youth that's best for the job. People keep forgetting that factor. And if that's the case, then we're going captainless next year b/c no youth has made themselves the best for the job. Of course, it's kinda difficult when many of them are playing through injuries to step up for the job.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I think the next Ducks captain will be from the young core. I love Gudas, but I just don’t think they are going to go in that direction with the C.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Welp, according to our GM, it's gotta be a youth that's best for the job. People keep forgetting that factor. And if that's the case, then we're going captainless next year b/c no youth has made themselves the best for the job. Of course, it's kinda difficult when many of them are playing through injuries to step up for the job.
Which is why it makes all the sense in the world to give it to a guy like Gudas who only has 2 years left. He wouldn’t be blocking any young guy from earning it in time and would be providing some sorely needed player leadership now. If one of the young guys still hasn’t earned it in 2 more years then we have bigger problems to address.

The young guys need more help learning leadership than any coaches are providing. Having an internal leader the next 2 years would be helpful.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Which is why it makes all the sense in the world to give it to a guy like Gudas who only has 2 years left. He wouldn’t be blocking any young guy from earning it in time and would be providing some sorely needed player leadership now. If one of the young guys still hasn’t earned it in 2 more years then we have bigger problems to address.

The young guys need more help learning leadership than any coaches are providing. Having an internal leader the next 2 years would be helpful.

I get ya. I agree, but I dunno if that's what Verbeek wants b/c he set a precedent to not give out captaincy for the past two seasons.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I get the sentiments about Gudas but the lack of a captain when you have had vets fully capable of filling that role tells me they don't want a short timer wearing the C. I think that also sends a great message "this is a cherished role, you put on the C and we expect a lot from you. We expect you to be the face and the future. "

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I get ya. I agree, but I dunno if that's what Verbeek wants b/c he set a precedent to not give out captaincy for the past two seasons.

I get the sentiments about Gudas but the lack of a captain when you have had vets fully capable of filling that role tells me they don't want a short timer wearing the C. I think that also sends a great message "this is a cherished role, you put on the C and we expect a lot from you. We expect you to be the face and the future. "
I certainly understand that management (PV and maybe Cronin) have the final say. And to quote Ahlers, “the next time they ask me will be the first”. But I’m offering up my 1/50 of a dollar anyway…just in case they decide to come here and see what Dr Fever thinks. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad