Speculation: Ducks grabbing a top 6 forward for Fowler/despres

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And you realize that Anaheim has a internal budget here set by Ownership, Both Lindholm and Rakell combined will eat the rest of that cap easily. Anaheim's budget this past season was only $65 million not sure what it will be this year. But any ways they're already pretty much at their budget most likely and still have Lindholm and Rakell to resign yet.

And that brings me back to why i'd be pissed as a Ducks fan.

Honest question, do you think if Lou called Murray and offered JVR for Fowler that Murray would say "no thanks Lou, we need a player that's cheaper, we know he won't be as good...but cheaper"?

Jvr fills your need perfectly, you make it work.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
And that brings me back to why i'd be pissed as a Ducks fan.

Honest question, do you think if Lou called Murray and offered JVR for Fowler that Murray would say "no thanks Lou, we need a player that's cheaper, we know he won't be as good...but cheaper"?

Jvr fills your need perfectly, you make it work.

Lindholm. Rackell. They eat all the cap available. They need to shed salary to ice a team. JVR makes matters worse not better financially.

If finances wasn't an issue here, guess what:

They would keep Fowler over JVR any day of the week.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Lindholm. Rackell. They eat all the cap available. They need to shed salary to ice a team. JVR makes matters worse not better financially.

If finances wasn't an issue here, guess what:

They would keep Fowler over JVR any day of the week.

OP is asking for a top 6 winger. As of right now, the LWs they have are:

Cogliano
Garbutt
Raymond

Rakell can play there (listed as a center)...but i think JVR might be a bit of an upgrade on the others....no?

And you can bridge Lindholm until Stoner/Bieksa deals are done....or ship out stoner with an incentive, there are ways to save cap AND better your team.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
OP is asking for a top 6 winger. As of right now, the LWs they have are:

Cogliano
Garbutt
Raymond

Rakell can play there (listed as a center)...but i think JVR might be a bit of an upgrade on the others....no?

Rakell likely does shift to LW with the addition of Vermette.

We don't want to trade Fowler for futures, we want affordable young scoring in return. Affordable as in cheaper than Fowler. Spooner +, Tatar +...both those deals would accomplish this. JVR would not.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
Considering that Fowler only makes $4 million it is, Most likely Murray will be seeking a player making less then Fowler like Tatar or Spooner. Once Lindholm and Rakell are resigned Murray will need to shed salary not take more on.

What's your opinion of the Wings being able to make a trade for Fowler, and take back more cap dollars than they send out? Will Holland do that? Or will he have to send a salary dump with Tatar to make the cap dollars even?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Considering that Fowler only makes $4 million it is, Most likely Murray will be seeking a player making less then Fowler like Tatar or Spooner. Once Lindholm and Rakell are resigned Murray will need to shed salary not take more on.

Don't you mean IF Rakell and Lindholm are signed?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Those poor ********. All they have is their recent Cup, and 10 playoff series wins in the past 11 seasons.

Why does everybody always go to the "****** extreme" on this site. Question, if your team was a contender and had the chance to upgrade the team (not speaking to JVR, just in general) but didn't because of an internal budget...would you be happy?

Which one of my posts said the Ducks weren't successful? None of them? That's correct...so your BS response isn't really needed.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Our exchange this morning in the "Leafs Prospect Swap" thread is a perfect example of why you should stop acting like you have a clue about the Ducks.

Here's what I know about the Ducks:
They have an internal cap.
Rakell on a bridge will make at least $2.5 million next year, probably more.
Lindholm on a bridge will make at least $3.0 million next year. On a long term deal he will get at least $5.5 million, probably more.
I don't see Detroit as a trading partner because like the Ducks they need to shed some salary.
Despres is probably viewed as a big risk around the league due to his concussion, poor play upon returning and the five years remaining on his contract, so if he is moved it won't be for his value.
I don't think BM wants to risk what might be their best opportunity to win with this core by trying to get a 1LW on the cheap and cross their fingers that it works out.
Florida just gave up their first round pick from 2015 to get rid of Boland's cap hit (if he is LTIR insurance will cover the salary). Based on this how hard/expensive would it be to move Stoner?
What of what I have listed do you or other Duck's fans not agree with?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What's your opinion of the Wings being able to make a trade for Fowler, and take back more cap dollars than they send out? Will Holland do that? Or will he have to send a salary dump with Tatar to make the cap dollars even?

Need a 3rd party to take Brendan Smith as a cap dump + as a roster spot opener for Fowler.

It's definitely possible. Smith will be gone next summer as UFA so he's not needed in long-term plans.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Rakell likely does shift to LW with the addition of Vermette.

We don't want to trade Fowler for futures, we want affordable young scoring in return. Affordable as in cheaper than Fowler. Spooner +, Tatar +...both those deals would accomplish this. JVR would not.

What if the Leafs took Stoner? That would help...no?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Here's what I know about the Ducks:
They have an internal cap.
Rakell on a bridge will make at least $2.5 million next year, probably more.
Lindholm on a bridge will make at least $3.0 million next year. On a long term deal he will get at least $5.5 million, probably more.
I don't see Detroit as a trading partner because like the Ducks they need to shed some salary.
Despres is probably viewed as a big risk around the league due to his concussion, poor play upon returning and the five years remaining on his contract, so if he is moved it won't be for his value.
I don't think BM wants to risk what might be their best opportunity to win with this core by trying to get a 1LW on the cheap and cross their fingers that it works out.
Florida just gave up their first round pick from 2015 to get rid of Boland's cap hit (if he is LTIR insurance will cover the salary). Based on this how hard/expensive would it be to move Stoner?
What of what I have listed do you or other Duck's fans not agree with?

None of that explains the idiotic notion that the Ducks won't sign Lindholm or Rakell. Detroit is only one team, there are plenty of other options.

Obviously selling low on Despres makes more sense than keeping him at the expense of those two.

Stoner would obviously cost a lot less to get rid of than Bolland considering we're talking about 6.5M in remaining salary vs 16.5

No one's saying the Ducks won't have to move money out to get those two signed, but thinking it won't happen is just silly.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Connor for Fowler makes some sense to me.

Again, Jets are not giving up all the cost controlled years for someone that controls where he wants to play in 2 years. It's just not going to happen.

If they Jets were a Fowler away from competing for the Cup, they may go for it, but not at this stage in the team's development.

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
You realize fowler is only 24 right? Not even in his prime yet? Give him less defensive responsibilities and he'd be back to 40-50 pT guy

You realize Winnipeg is not giving up a cost controlled player for a player who could walk in two years. Doesn't matter that he's 24. Losing a 26 year old to UFA is zero help to them long term.

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
He's a good player, but he's coming off a down year. Meanwhile, Fowler has consistently been on our top pairing and, despite what the stat watchers might say, is a solid #2 D-man. If I was BM, DET would need to add something significant to get me to pull the trigger. D-men are expensive and more important than wingers and Tatar isn't better then Fowler (I'd say Fowler has the bigger impact on his respective team).

Pass. Not that high on Bjugstad and we're pretty set down the middle with Getzlaf, Kesler and Vermette.

The Miller for Montour + 2nd + Thompson (LTIR) deal made a lot more sense for both teams anyway.

It makes very little to ANA. We're looking to compete and we're not moving Fowler for a whole bunch of maybe. IMO, ANA would want Wheeler.

Haha, Wheeler is not happening!!!! Besides, in every Ducks thread it's explicitly stated that they need a left shooting left winger and anyone offering up right wingers gets shot down. Let's also not forget Wheeler is out of their price range.

Last edited:

mytduxfan*

Haha, Wheeler is not happening!!!! Besides, in every Ducks thread it's explicitly stated that they need a left shooting left winger and anyone offering up right wingers gets shot down. Let's also not forget Wheeler is out of their price range.

Fine. No deal to be made then.

perrygetzanother

Jun 14, 2014
somewhere nice
You realize Winnipeg is not giving up a cost controlled player for a player who could walk in two years. Doesn't matter that he's 24. Losing a 26 year old to UFA is zero help to them long term.

other than the fact that it's winnipeg (city, not team) why wouldnt he want to sign an extension?

your team is on schedule to be ridiculously good in a couple of years when the prospects start to bloom. buff + fowler would be a great top pair, and in 2 years he'll see how good the team is around him and why would he not want to stay and try to win?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
None of that explains the idiotic notion that the Ducks won't sign Lindholm or Rakell. Detroit is only one team, there are plenty of other options.

Obviously selling low on Despres makes more sense than keeping him at the expense of those two.

Stoner would obviously cost a lot less to get rid of than Bolland considering we're talking about 6.5M in remaining salary vs 16.5

No one's saying the Ducks won't have to move money out to get those two signed, but thinking it won't happen is just silly.

I agree that clearing some cap room and signing Lindholm and Rakell is the best option but the money that the Ducks may have to move may have to be in the form of Fowler for picks.
Arizona may have felt, or been told, that Bolland will be LTIRed in which case insurance will pay his salary and they will only have the cap hit to deal with, both Despres and Stoner are healthy enough to play so whoever takes them will have to take on both the cap hit and salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad