Post-Game Talk: Duck Hunting

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Excellent game oil owned them throughout.

Dallas quietly to the top of the league is a bit worrisome. Had some bad years playing them.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
So yesterday was a career-high in TOI for Vinny. Yes it was a blowout, but I feel like I barely noticed him all night (in a good way).

But beyond it just being the Ducks, I think a lot is due to him staying purely in the defensive role he's strong in. He wasn't called upon to try and push the puck up ice and was allowed to just "hang back." (even if he did end up with two assists)

And why yes, this is a Stecher post. But yeah, the two of them made for a nice yin/yang, and the coaches could keep both of them in situations that played to their strengths.

I also feel like Stecher disrupted a lot of the "targetted" dump-ins, where teams know to chip the puck into the defensive RW corner vs. the Oil and exploit their lack of speed on that side. But he just raced back, cleanly beat the forechecker to the puck, and moved it out of harm's way.
The old Soft Dump eh?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Going to have an 80P and 40P D on this team this season. Been a long time since you could have said that. Closest thing since the 80's was Pronger + Spacek (combined) in 05-06, and I guess Souray+Gilbert in 08-09. Honestly impressed with Ekholm's ability to put up offence with minimal PP time given how much he does defensively.
He loves to shoot the puck, is a major thing I've noticed. When he's out on the 2nd PP unit, it really becomes very effective with Kane and Perry crashing the net and bombs from the point creating chaos. Nurse is also firing the puck a lot this year as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Missed the third (my boy’s 14th birthday today) so way to blow out a terrible team.
Good that the boys had things well in hand for you to enjoy some cake, candles and presents. I'm trying to think of the significance of 14. You can get your learners license then right? Yah, I'm sure that's it. Now you can have him chauffeur you around town.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The Ducks just really aren't that good of a team right now. That said we took care of business and didn't just let them hang around all game and piss away 2 points because of laziness vs. them earning the 2 points by working their tail feathers off.
Henrique and Carrier must be looking at that corpse of a team thanking God they’re off of it.

Good that the boys had things well in hand for you to enjoy some cake, candles and presents. I'm trying to think of the significance of 14. You can get your learners license then right? Yah, I'm sure that's it. Now you can have him chauffeur you around town.
Yep, he’s got the drivers handbook studying up. I guess I’m soon entering the stage of my life where I’ll have to contend with not only the Mrs. leaving fuel tanks empty but teenagers too.:laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Be glad we didn’t trade for Gibson. He’s cooked.

Look at the way he played that first goal. Plays it like a 80s goalie.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He's still a good goalie, but he looks like he's checked out at this point. I think he probably gets moved this summer.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's still a good goalie, but he looks like he's checked out at this point. I think he probably gets moved this summer.
I’d be wary of trading for a goalie that has been mentally checked out for like three straight years, at least.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

That game was the definition of a goalie left out to dry.

1711910506747.jpeg

Reactions: harpoon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’d be wary of trading for a goalie that has been mentally checked out for like three straight years, at least.
The whole organization has been checked out for a long time. Spinning their wheels getting worse and worse. Not a whole lot to look forward to there.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021

hes only 30 years old, I'd much rather have a duo of Gibson & Skinner right now than Campbell.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So yesterday was a career-high in TOI for Vinny. Yes it was a blowout, but I feel like I barely noticed him all night (in a good way).

But beyond it just being the Ducks, I think a lot is due to him staying purely in the defensive role he's strong in. He wasn't called upon to try and push the puck up ice and was allowed to just "hang back." (even if he did end up with two assists)

And why yes, this is a Stecher post. But yeah, the two of them made for a nice yin/yang, and the coaches could keep both of them in situations that played to their strengths.

I also feel like Stecher disrupted a lot of the "targetted" dump-ins, where teams know to chip the puck into the defensive RW corner vs. the Oil and exploit their lack of speed on that side. But he just raced back, cleanly beat the forechecker to the puck, and moved it out of harm's way.
Im glad that you focussed on Stecher here.
I really liked what I saw from him in this game.
He is quicker than I thought he was and he seems to read situations really well.
I hope Knoblauch see's fit to play him more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad