Speculation: Duchene trade looking back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How is Bowers "a middling prospect"? He's got 30 points in 36 games as an 18 year old at Boston University. He's outscoring Brady Tkachuk, who is two months younger and predicted to go in the top five this summer.
Sens board very much underrated the Bowers pick... Still they had to give something up to get Sakic to budge and most at least at that time would have given up Bowers over Brown, Chabot and White.
I think Bowers has shown that he deserved to be picked in the 1st round.

The Sens wanted to dump Hammonds salary , which by NHL standards isn't much, but ... for the penny pinching Sens I guess it was... they gave Colorado an additional 3rd to take Hammond off their hands but allowed Hammond to stay with their AHL team in Belleville , where they had another 3 goalies looking for playing time.. Dorion found a new BFF in Sakic... And Sakic bent him over.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sens board very much underrated the Bowers pick... Still they had to give something up to get Sakic to budge and most at least at that time would have given up Bowers over Brown, Chabot and White.
I think Bowers has shown that he deserved to be picked in the 1st round.

The Sens wanted to dump Hammonds salary , which by NHL standards isn't much, but ... for the penny pinching Sens I guess it was... they gave Colorado an additional 3rd to take Hammond off their hands but allowed Hammond to stay with their AHL team in Belleville , where they had another 3 goalies looking for playing time.. Dorion found a new BFF in Sakic... And Sakic bent him over.
Yep Sakic knew ,PD had to trade and replace Turris at the same time,also adding in we didnt want to give up the kids you mentioned...Yep we paid,for sure....But not giving up Chabot was the right call

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Things sure are looking up for the Senators next year!:thumbu:
Stranger things have happened. Not uncommon for teams to finish bottom 3 and make the playoffs the next year. Hockey is impossible to project. Teams succeed on pure chemistry and momentum alone in this league, unlike baseball or basketball where individual talent trumps all other factors. Your team literally finished dead last last year and now is in the hunt for a playoff spot. So your sardonic reply is kind of puzzling.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Injecting youth isn't an automatic recipe for a dip. Sometimes the team finds a new identity and improves. Avs this year is a good example. A bigger question mark for Senators is Andy. Sometimes he has great years and sometimes he has dud years. Hard to predict.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
This thread is always a great indicator of where Sens' fans moods are. I guess they've won some games recently so things are looking peachy, but the next time they go on a skid all hope will be lost!

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Sakic took a lot of crap from people for not trading Duchene earlier then he did but now that he waited he pulled off a fantastic return and one of the better hose jobs in recent memory. The cherry on top would be ottawa keeps the pick this year and hands over the 1st overall next year after winning the lottery while Duchene signs elsewhere as a ufa in July 2019 :laugh:

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
This thread is always a great indicator of where Sens' fans moods are. I guess they've won some games recently so things are looking peachy, but the next time they go on a skid all hope will be lost!

The sens have won like 3 of their last 10

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Sakic took a lot of crap from people for not trading Duchene earlier then he did but now that he waited he pulled off a fantastic return and one of the better hose jobs in recent memory. The cherry on top would be ottawa keeps the pick this year and hands over the 1st overall next year after winning the lottery while Duchene signs elsewhere as a ufa in July 2019 :laugh:
Thanks for not piling on though...

Duskog

Smugnorance is bliss
Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I've been waiting years for a defenceman like Girard. It's awesome how well he's been playing for us, I wasn't sure on any of the players at the time of the trade really but like others have said even what it did to Mackinnon has been worth it for us. If we get a lottery first next year then it's the greatest trade since I've been an Avs fan :laugh: but I would feel a bit bad cause i have a lot of friends and family who are diehard Senators fans and I'm still humble to the pain we went through last year and wouldn't wish that on them. But man it's a good time to be an Avalanche fan again.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I've been waiting years for a defenceman like Girard. It's awesome how well he's been playing for us, I wasn't sure on any of the players at the time of the trade really but like others have said even what it did to Mackinnon has been worth it for us. If we get a lottery first next year then it's the greatest trade since I've been an Avs fan :laugh: but I would feel a bit bad cause i have a lot of friends and family who are diehard Senators fans and I'm still humble to the pain we went through last year and wouldn't wish that on them. But man it's a good time to be an Avalanche fan again.
Meh ,I like what Duchene brings..I also believe keeping Chabot out of the deal was critical for us...Kid is a going to be a stud for a long time for us

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Duchene has picked it up for the Sens and we got Girard plus a massive amount of prospect depth so it's working out for everyone. I just advise Sens fans to not get super high on Duchene, he's a real good player but he will have another big slump again where he will beat himself up and continue to slump for awhile, that's just who he his.

Reactions: motojime

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Even though Dutch turned it around it's still not dragging the Sens out of the cellar.

The Sens are quite clearly tanking... Yesterday both Gaborik AND Burrows were in the top 6, lol.

Wait until next season to judge what difference Dutch can do if he plays like this over a full season (or the majority of it).

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs fan and felt PD lazily could have made the deal with the Preds for Turris and simply traded for Duchene directly with the AVs.

Anyways, parts offered by the Sens realistically was not substantial at the time.

1st-expected expected 20+ pick
Bowers - average prospect
Hammond - salary dump
3rd - compensation for dump

Great deal for the AVs made better with the Turris flip, but the Sens were not that far off in the value of this involved trading directly for Duchene.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Sens are quite clearly tanking... Yesterday both Gaborik AND Burrows were in the top 6, lol.

Wait until next season to judge what difference Dutch can do if he plays like this over a full season (or the majority of it).
Owner trying to cut costs, biggest star might leave, the worst contract in the NHL on the roster, the goaltender will be 37, a gm who consitently comes out on the short end of trades and a negative pall hanging over the franchise? Happy days are hear again!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They havent started ****

I mean they haven't broke ground yet and theres a number of steps to be taken before they do but there's been plenty of progress on that front. It's not guaranteed the arena happens but its very likely, such an odd comment to make.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
This trade was both bad and good for both sides. Ottawa got the player they wanted without giving up a top tier asset albeit some really good ones. Sakic finally moved his player for a haul of pieces, but not one true blue chip stud or premiere draft pick he was holding out for.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This trade was both bad and good for both sides. Ottawa got the player they wanted without giving up a top tier asset albeit some really good ones. Sakic finally moved his player for a haul of pieces, but not one true blue chip stud or premiere draft pick he was holding out for.
Yeah Girard is a top tier prospect playing well as a 19 year old in the NHL, and Bowers isn't exactly chump change, who is only two months older than Brady Tkachuk, plays on the same team as him, and out produced him. yet no one talks about Bowers but they drool over Tkachuk. People need to stop sleeping on Bowers.

Oh and that first round pick that Ottawa owes us either this year or next is looking pretty sweet, like top 5 overall sweet.

The Avs made out like bandits, it's pretty hard to argue this.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah Girard is a top tier prospect playing well as a 19 year old in the NHL, and Bowers isn't exactly chump change, who is only two months older than Brady Tkachuk, plays on the same team as him, and out produced him. yet no one talks about Bowers but they drool over Tkachuk. People need to stop sleeping on Bowers.

Oh and that first round pick that Ottawa owes us either this year or next is looking pretty sweet, like top 5 overall sweet.

The Avs made out like bandits, it's pretty hard to argue this.

None of them are game breakers. Top tier is a whole different level than very good. Guys like sergachev are top tier prospects in trades. Not Girard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad