Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
When did he have a bad playoffs before this year?

Turris never really put up monster numbers in the playoffs. He had respectable production, but he scored some very clutch goals.

I'm not taking anything away from him. Turris is what he is. A very good second line center, whilr duchene is a legit top line center, albeit not an upper echelon one.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Turris never really put up monster numbers in the playoffs. He had respectable production, but he scored some very clutch goals.

I'm not taking anything away from him. Turris is what he is. A very good second line center, whilr duchene is a legit top line center, albeit not an upper echelon one.

I agree with every word of this.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
This trade lives and dies by the first rounder. If it ends up being top-5 it was catastrophic. If it’s like 15-31 then it’s probably a big win.

Time will tell.
I’m not sure about that. We overpaid regardless of where that first round pick lands IMO.

Time will tell if this was the right move. It’s a huge possibility that Duchene may not even be an Ottawa Senator at the end of the next trade deadline. I’m not even sure we get the same quality package as Colorado got for him if we trade Duchene.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I’m not sure about that. We overpaid regardless of where that first round pick lands IMO.

Time will tell if this was the right move. It’s a huge possibility that Duchene may not even be an Ottawa Senator at the end of the next trade deadline. I’m not even sure we get the same quality package as Colorado got for him if we trade Duchene.

I agree that we overpaid, but it’s palatable if the first is middling. The overpayment becomes crippling if we’re talking about a top-5 pick in the Jack Hughes draft.

I know the odds are against it, but Christ if Colorado got Hughes with our pick...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree that we overpaid, but it’s palatable if the first is middling. The overpayment becomes crippling if we’re talking about a top-5 pick in the Jack Hughes draft.

I know the odds are against it, but Christ if Colorado got Hughes with our pick...
There would be tears

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We didn't overpay at all. You guys always want something for nothing. We paid Turris, a late pick player, and a first round pick next year. It's a big haul, but we got a #1 centre, mid 20's, Team friggin' Canada forward.

You guys expect to get that calibre of player for less than what we paid?? Crazy. In a perfect world Turris would be a winger. We all enjoyed him and his wicked shot here, but Duchene is so much better as a top line centre for our team, and it was an easy price to pay for the massive upgrade in player across the board.

We didn't have to give up one of our top prospects, nor, thanks to an astute measure, our 4th overall pick this year.

Massive franchise setting trade for us as we will lock down one of the top 3 positions on the team.

Yes, we all wish we could have got a top line centre for nothing, but in the real world you have to give to get, and we still kept all of our best assets.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Having Duchene is great, if we weren't looking like we are in a rebuild.

We can't properly rebuild now without a 2019 1st, so it will either be on the fly or extra painful, unless we are somehow able to sign Karlsson/Duchene/Stone, which I believe to be impossible at this point.

Being a Sens fan sucks donkey chode right now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
f*** that shit

We have the best player in the world. A fully healthy Karlsson is the best player in the world.

Yes he had a bad year but that happens. Especially when you had off season surgery because you played on a broken foot for months on end.

I am drunk but calling it: if we trade Karlsson, the Senators will eventually relocate. And that is why we'll find a way. He wants to stay and we want him to stay.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Ok I'll put this back on you I guess..

Do you think he played like a #1C last year in the playoffs?

How do you rate his play in 2015 playoffs?

Are 30pts in 59gp in the playoffs the numbers of 6m/yr top line center?

I'd say at .500 ppg that's pretty good considering he was generally facing top quality. Decent production from a guy most seem to be calling a chump #2C. Obviously it's nice to have a .800 ppg C but those aren't easy to come by. Hard to say what Duchene is...

My point still stands that we don't have the luxury of paying Turris that much money until he's 35 years old to be our second line center. And even if we could afford it I'm still not so sure that's a good move.

It's nuts that some teams are paying Jason Spezza 7.5mil/yr from 31-35yo and we can't pay Kyle Turris (3 years later might I add, with the cap having risen) 6m/yr from 29-35yo. Those are two prime years from a #1b center, while Spezza was twilight #2a. Let alone Brassard, a quality #2 that's probably going to get less than Turris.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd say at .500 ppg that's pretty good considering he was generally facing top quality. Decent production from a guy most seem to be calling a chump #2C. Obviously it's nice to have a .800 ppg C but those aren't easy to come by. Hard to say what Duchene is...

It's nuts that some teams are paying Jason Spezza 7.5mil/yr from 31-35yo and we can't pay Kyle Turris (3 years later might I add, with the cap having risen) 6m/yr from 29-35yo. Those are two prime years from a #1b center, while Spezza was twilight #2a. Let alone Brassard, a quality #2 that's probably going to get less than Turris.

Well look how that turned out for Dallas eh?

Just because you can afford to sign aging guys to big dollar long term contracts doesn't mean that you should.

You push all in when you do sign those guys, and you pay the price when it doesn't work out and you get stuck with a bad contract and well past his prime player.

Are you honestly still not glad that we arent locked up with Turris from 29-35 at that price (or more in all likelihood)?

Reactions: pzeeman

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
**** that ****

We have the best player in the world. A fully healthy Karlsson is the best player in the world.

Yes he had a bad year but that happens. Especially when you had off season surgery because you played on a broken foot for months on end.

I am drunk but calling it: if we trade Karlsson, the Senators will eventually relocate. And that is why we'll find a way. He wants to stay and we want him to stay.

How do you know he wants to stay?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Having Duchene is great, if we weren't looking like we are in a rebuild.

We can't properly rebuild now without a 2019 1st, so it will either be on the fly or extra painful, unless we are somehow able to sign Karlsson/Duchene/Stone, which I believe to be impossible at this point.

Being a Sens fan sucks donkey chode right now.

You know what man, I'll commiserate with you if indeed the worst scenario unfolds, but right now, we're looking ok.

All three of those guys have been saying the right things, with two of them saying they want to be around to be part of the solution, and one of them saying that PD's plan has their support.

Maybe EK gets traded and maybe he doesn't, but we're not going full rebuild, no chance. Stone and Duchene will be signed for sure. It would take PD to have lied to their faces for the situation to turn sour.

Look we all want the best, some figure the worst will happen, and some don't, either way, we'll all be in the same boat soon enough.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

if we trade Duchene at the next TDL why would we get the same package? he'd be a rental. at that point we would have got 1.5 seasons out of him.

completely different

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You know what man, I'll commiserate with you if indeed the worst scenario unfolds, but right now, we're looking ok.

All three of those guys have been saying the right things, with two of them saying they want to be around to be part of the solution, and one of them saying that PD's plan has their support.

Maybe EK gets traded and maybe he doesn't, but we're not going full rebuild, no chance. Stone and Duchene will be signed for sure. It would take PD to have lied to their faces for the situation to turn sour.

Look we all want the best, some figure the worst will happen, and some don't, either way, we'll all be in the same boat soon enough.
Worst scenario's have been happening on a regular basis for a year, I don't think it happening 1 more time will change your outlook, which is fine regardless.

Well, we have already been told by our owner/GM it's a 3-5 year plan until we will compete, that's a rebuild in my eyes. Otherwise, we are just spinning our tires.

Things are not looking up, in anyway, no matter how much I want it to, it's just not realistic. When things start looking good, or even aren't looking comically bad, there will be no need for people to vent their displeasure's (me at least) as has been going on for 1.5 years, outside the Cinderella run.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ya we didnt overpay I don't think anyone thought our pick this year would be top 5 thankfully Dorian put a clause in to protect us in that instance

If Karlsson stays we probably are in a good position next year. If not it depends on return.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm just hoping that not having the pressure of trying to be the savior for his childhood team, and having his relatives so much closer to him, helps Matt find the consistency that he couldn't for us. I can't argue against my fellow avs fans that Dutchy wasn't consistently inconsistent for us since 2014, or that his cold-streaks weren't on a different level than anything we'd seen from one of our stars before; but to me they've always been a clear result of the pressure he put on himself, and the way he would beat himself up for not being perfect, especially when he couldn't shake a cold-streak off quickly...thus why I wasn't shocked to see him go ice cold after he was snakebitten in that first week following this trade.

Consistency is unlikely to just suddenly click for a player that age, but I think the environment could be a lot easier on him psychologically, even with the Melnyk drama hanging in the air...and IMO psychology has always been the biggest factor behind Matt's inconsistency, rather than some sort of failing in his skillset or hockey-IQ; as is often the case with streaky-players. That's why I think it's imperative that you hold onto at least one of Stone or Karlsson, so that Matt doesn't become the biggest star you've got left and he doesn't once again come to feel like he has to carry the weight of the entire team on his shoulders.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Purely a guess on your part. We’ll have to wait and see. I’m prepared for the worst.

Well he's also said multiple times how he wants to stay and in his first interview after the deadline he made that very clear, and said that he had just gone through a very stressful time not knowing if he might have been traded.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well he's also said multiple times how he wants to stay and in his first interview after the deadline he made that very clear, and said that he had just gone through a very stressful time not knowing if he might have been traded.

What else is he going to say? I mean, it’s great that he said it, but did you really buy it? I think it’s a classic case of deflecting. Why does he pick up the puck during his final home game?

I hope you’re right, I really do. I don’t want to see Karlsson leave, but I’m not convinced at this point he’s staying for sure and we have nothing to worry about. Until we see he has re-signed, I’m going to worry he’s not coming back.

Gonna be a sucky couple of months.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What else is he going to say? I mean, it’s great that he said it, but did you really buy it? I think it’s a classic case of deflecting. Why does he pick up the puck during his final home game?

I hope you’re right, I really do. I don’t want to see Karlsson leave, but I’m not convinced at this point he’s staying for sure and we have nothing to worry about. Until we see he has re-signed, I’m going to worry he’s not coming back.

Gonna be a sucky couple of months.

He picks it up because there's still uncertainty. That's how I see it. It's also a way of telling management "I picked up the last puck. I'd like to stay here first and foremost and not have that be the last game I played, but if you guys **** around in negotiations it won't be the end of the world for me to move on".

Anyways, yeah we'll see what happens July 1st and onwards. We're getting closer and closer and we'll be able to put all this speculation to rest haha.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
so.....Turris is joining Team Canada at the Worlds. That lays to rest any notion that his poor playoff performance and last 30 games or so were due to nagging injury

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
i don't think it is a guess at all to say EK's preference is to stay here. he's been pretty clear that his preference is to stay.

Just because he says that publicly doesn’t mean he means it. Again, what is he going to say? I think either he has made the request to move on, or he knows he’s not going to get paid what he wants. Why else was his name in all these rumours if he wants to stay? If he wasn’t available Dorion would have said so, and he wouldn’t have been taking calls on him.

I don’t believe for a second all is well between Karlsson and the organization. Now that doesn’t mean they can’t iron out their differences, but they may have already gone too far down the road at this point.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Just because he says that publicly doesn’t mean he means it. Again, what is he going to say? I think either he has made the request to move on, or he knows he’s not going to get paid what he wants. Why else was his name in all these rumours if he wants to stay? If he wasn’t available Dorion would have said so, and he wouldn’t have been taking calls on him.

I don’t believe for a second all is well between Karlsson and the organization. Now that doesn’t mean they can’t iron out their differences, but they may have already gone too far down the road at this point.

I think that Dorion made a media boo boo when he said even Gretzky can be traded. The media grabbed that, ran with it and built it up. That's what they do, make stories that people read, that's their job. Ya I've read that they were "close" to making a deal, but Bob said it depends how you look at close. They were talking at close to 3 but not close to making a deal. GMs talk all the time...the media is running with a story and all of a sudden Pierre has to talk to a lot more guys and i'm sure some of those guys were offering up some intriguing stuff.

I think people here really overplay the Melnyk hatred, the Boucher hatred, the Dorion hatred and on and on it goes. There were exit interviews, if Boucher was an issue, then pretty easy decision to cut him loose. Dorion has publicly stated they will offer EK a contract July 1. He cannot back away from that and ever leave his house in this town so he won't be traded at the draft. July 1 he'll get an offer. That offer IMO will not be at a level that he could get on a wide open market but i do think it'll be decent and in the ballpark of what it's going to take. I don't get the sense that EK wants to leave and there appears to me to be more reasons for him to stay than leave.

Reactions: pzeeman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad