Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It would take Stone or Karlsson but I don't think they would do it for Karlsson given the raise incoming..
Was that the option.. I was just saying I like the guy and he's on a great contract. It was more about Ceci .. his up coming contract and what the Sens might pay. Where did Stone and Karlsson come into it?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Was that the option.. I was just saying I like the guy and he's on a great contract. It was more about Ceci .. his up coming contract and what the Sens might pay. Where did Stone and Karlsson come into it?

When I said their names.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
so.....Turris is joining Team Canada at the Worlds. That lays to rest any notion that his poor playoff performance and last 30 games or so were due to nagging injury

That is quite stunning to me, that he was actually that bad the last 30 games.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Slavin and 2nd overall for EK.

or Zykov/Lindholm, 2nd overall and Hanifin.

If we trade EK.

If not then 22nd overall + white for Hanifin. He plays left side right?

Regardless of which side he plays

Then trade Ceci + Hoffman for 1oth overall + Klefbom

Sign ufa winger:

XXXX-Duchene-Dzingel
4th overall-Brown-Stone
Paajarvi-Pageau-Ryan
McCormick-Chlapik-Pyatt

Klefbom-Karlsson
Chabot-Hanifin
Wolanin-Boro

go hardcore after Rantaa

The forward group a little weak but that defense could be monstroussss.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Slavin and 2nd overall for EK.

or Zykov/Lindholm, 2nd overall and Hanifin.

If we trade EK.

If not then 22nd overall + white for Hanifin. He plays left side right?

Regardless of which side he plays

Then trade Ceci + Hoffman for 1oth overall + Klefbom

Sign ufa winger:

XXXX-Duchene-Dzingel
4th overall-Brown-Stone
Paajarvi-Pageau-Ryan
McCormick-Chlapik-Pyatt

Klefbom-Karlsson
Chabot-Hanifin
Wolanin-Boro

go hardcore after Rantaa

The forward group a little weak but that defense could be monstroussss.
Seeing 7.5 million dollar Ryan playing on the 3rd line in people's lineups is just sad. Such a horrible contract.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The way pro sports work doesn't help? Well im sure he knew how it was before he decided to be a pro athlete...

No, I mean if Karlsson isn’t happy with the direction of the franchise, having some closer friends being traded is just one more thing.

The rumour is he was furious about what happened with Turris. He lost his d partner, and close friend in Methot. Zibby and Silf were traded.

You’re right in that trades are part of pro sports, and I’m not saying he wants out because of that. If he does want out, it’s probably due to a few different things. This just might be one thing he’s not happy about.

It’s not always about having your friends traded, it’s also the way it happens too. Look at what happened with Hossa. You think Chara was happy with the way his close friend was treated? I’m guessing he wasn’t.

To act like this doesn’t matter at all or affect him in any way is a bit odd to me.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
No, I mean if Karlsson isn’t happy with the direction of the franchise, having some closer friends being traded is just one more thing.

The rumour is he was furious about what happened with Turris. He lost his d partner, and close friend in Methot. Zibby and Silf were traded.

You’re right in that trades are part of pro sports, and I’m not saying he wants out because of that. If he does want out, it’s probably due to a few different things. This just might be one thing he’s not happy about.

It’s not always about having your friends traded, it’s also the way it happens too. Look at what happened with Hossa. You think Chara was happy with the way his close friend was treated? I’m guessing he wasn’t.

To act like this doesn’t matter at all or affect him in any way is a bit odd to me.

He wasn’t actually that close with Mika or Silf.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

what's the rumour on what EK thinks of Duchene?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think some of my coworkers are total scum but we still work well together and get stuff done.

I don't get the fascination/need for drama.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
Seeing 7.5 million dollar Ryan playing on the 3rd line in people's lineups is just sad. Such a horrible contract.

Yeah his injuries suck but it’s not a complete albatross of a contract. When healthy, which is admittedly rare, he’s a 6+ million dollar player. I think he’s still the type of guy that can drive offense with any level of much support. Played well with Mika, Dzingel, Brass, Turris, Mac. If he’s on, he’s usually the best offensive player on his line.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah his injuries suck but it’s not a complete albatross of a contract. When healthy, which is admittedly rare, he’s a 6+ million dollar player. I think he’s still the type of guy that can drive offense with any level of much support. Played well with Mika, Dzingel, Brass, Turris, Mac. If he’s on, he’s usually the best offensive player on his line.

Ryan had 11 goals last year and 13 the year before. In the ECF finals year he had 25 points.

He had 5 (yes 5) PP points last year.

He has 3 PP goals in his last 2 seasons. Two full seasons.

Where are people getting this idea that Ryan drives offence?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ryan had 11 goals last year and 13 the year before. In the ECF finals year he had 25 points.

Well, for one, they were talking about when he's healthy, which has been few and far between. You mention the ECF year, well that's a great example of the two types of Ryan you get; Regular season he struggled, but in the playoffs he was healthy and playing to his capabilities leading all forwards with 15 points in 19 games.

His problem is in large part his health. I'm not sure it's wise to believe he'll ever give us a healthy year at this point, so to me if he sticks around, we need to be willing to scratch him till he's healthy instead of wrapping up and freezing he hand like we've done in the past. That way, we might actually get as many or more games from him as he won't re-aggrivate injuries as often, and the games we do get he should be more effective.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Not to defend Ryan but to be fair, when you look how the PP was playing and where Ryan was on the ice, it's not like he was given the puck.

On 5 man on the ice, there was always 3 man touching the puck.. the left board guy( Turris, Duchene, etc) Karlsson and Hoffman. The players near the net were doing nothing but trying to screen the goalie, Because they were not given the puck. Which is a big reason why our PP has suck for a few year now.

Not saying he would double or triple his points. But if you don't touch it, you won't get points.

The really need to used them more the create space. Especially when Stone is playing there.

I don't know who we will draft but imagine a pp run ny Chabot on the point, Brown on the right wall distributing the puck and a Wahlstrom on the left board sniping the puck with a White creating havoc in front of the goalie lol.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not to defend Ryan but to be fair, when you look how the PP was playing and where Ryan was on the ice, it's not like he was given the puck.

On 5 man on the ice, there was always 3 man touching the puck.. the left board guy( Turris, Duchene, etc) Karlsson and Hoffman. The players near the net were doing nothing but trying to screen the goalie, Because they were not given the puck. Which is a big reason why our PP has suck for a few year now.

Not saying he would double or triple his points. But if you don't touch it, you won't get points.

The really need to used them more the create space. Especially when Stone is playing there.

I don't know who we will draft but imagine a pp run ny Chabot on the point, Brown on the right wall distributing the puck and a Wahlstrom on the left board sniping the puck with a White creating havoc in front of the goalie lol.

I think Ryan played the same role on the PP as Stone did, only on the second unit. Stone didn't score much on the PP either this year. I'd love to see them move to the right side half wall where Spezza used to set up shop; Stone and to a lesser degree Ryan are excellent passers and could make plays through the box. Their lack of footspeed is mitigated because they can push it back to the point when pressured, or into the corner for whomever we have set up on the strong side of the net (Duchene maybe?, he's got the board skills and speed to win any puck battles though it's a bit of a reversal having the center down so low I think). Throw Chabot and Karlsson on the points, and Hoffman on the weakside in the high slot or just outside where Stamkos and Ovi like to set up.

In any event, Duchene is a great piece for this team, and adds a dynamic that was missing. I think we have the pieces to set up a nice PP with him in the mix. Second unit depends on guys like Brown, White and whoever the heck we have on D (Wolanin, Jaros, maybe Wideman???)

Reactions: Newgates59

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Steven Stamkos is 28 years old, and has five more seasons (@8.5M) left on his contract. He was a non factor in the third round.

Evander Kane will be 27 years old this summer, and signed for 7 seasons (@7.0M) just this week.

Matt Duchene is 27 years old, and has 1 year left (@ 6.0 M)

I think, if he's offered an extension this summer, it falls some where between these two players.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Steven Stamkos is 28 years old, and has five more seasons (@8.5M) left on his contract. He was a non factor in the third round.

Evander Kane will be 27 years old this summer, and signed for 7 seasons (@7.0M) just this week.

Matt Duchene is 27 years old, and has 1 year left (@ 6.0 M)

I think, if he's offered an extension this summer, it falls some where between these two players.

Stamkos took a huge discount to stay with the TBL. He was apparently being offered something like 12 million by certain teams, and if I recall the cap was only at 73 million.

A big problem is that the cap is taking a major leap forward. While I'd hope we can somehow get Stone and Duchene drunk enough to take something in the Bobby Ryan range, at this point I think 8 is the minimum either sign for on a long term deal. 8.5M might be the right number at this point.

Ryan Johansen signed an 8x8 deal a few years back under a lower cap. Although, he did not get any signing bonuses or trade protection. If we offer Duchene 8x8 with 2M per season in bonus money, and a full NMC, despite technically being a lesser cap hit due to the cap going up, that would be a better contract than Johansen's due to the added security of the NMC and bonuses.

For reference, Johansen's deal would equate to just a bit more than 8.5M under the upcoming cap that is most likely set at about 80M.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Damn glitchy network, I posted this early, and it triple posted, so I deleted two, and the original one disappeared leaving none... so here it is again;

Stamkos' Contract was signed when the cap was expected to be 73 mil, while Duchene will be extended with a higher cap. Next year, the Cap I believe is estimated at 80 mil, by the time the contract kicks in, it's probably 85. You could view Stamkos' contract as a ~9.9 mil contract when adjusting for the rising cap, so yeah, somewhere between Kane at 7 mil, and an adjusted Stamkos at 9.9 is right. Duchene doesn't have near the history Stamkos had at the time of the signing, so he's not likely to approach 9.9, that's for sure. It's worth noting Stamkos' contract may have been driven down by uncertainty around his injury leading into the contract, also Tbay has a favourable tax situation.

Ryan Johansen signed an 8 year deal at 25 years old for 8 mil per a year ago. That deal had one year of RFA bought in it I think, and would only really cover prime years it's not a perfect comparison, but he's far more comparable in terms of accomplishments to Duchene than Stamkos is. Like Tampa, Nashville has a favourable taxation situation which may play into contract negotiations.

My guess is Duchene comes in around 8-8.5, but maybe we get lucky and sign him btween 7.5 and 8.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Is the cap going up relevent when we talk about the Sens?
I'm not throwing a Mylnyk's cheap again, but if we are a budget team, and they are not willing to add to the budget, we still won't be able to afford player according to the budget.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We have yet to not sign a guy we wanted to keep. No need to be worried yet.
The proof that we didn't want to sign them being that we didn't sign them? Technically, we made an offer to Hemsky, for example, and he refused. Same with Stalberg. Both minor pieces mind you, but we decided they priced themselves out of what we were willing to pay, which is fine. Turris was traded, presumably not because we didn't like him as a player (we were negotiating with him after all) but because presumably he priced himself out of what we were willing to pay, again, there's no problem with making that decision, but that's a player we presumably wanted to keep.

The claim that we've yet to not sign a guy we wanted to keep is a bit dubious imo, because it can really only apply in the way you appear to be using it to cases where a player rejects any offer we make, which btw, Alfredsson is a pretty clear example of if we are to believe the Murray/Melnyk claim of "blank cheque".

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I think some of my coworkers are total scum but we still work well together and get stuff done.

I don't get the fascination/need for drama.

Sure, but if you had the option to join a company and work with colleagues you liked and respected that may sway your decision. I am doubtful that you have similar options as a pending UFA in the NHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Source to this rumour?

Also to add just cause dudes are swedish doesn't mean they are best friends loool

Thats like saying Duchene will be pissed if we trade Ceci cause they are both canadian

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Stamkos took a huge discount to stay with the TBL. He was apparently being offered something like 12 million by certain teams, and if I recall the cap was only at 73 million.

A big problem is that the cap is taking a major leap forward. While I'd hope we can somehow get Stone and Duchene drunk enough to take something in the Bobby Ryan range, at this point I think 8 is the minimum either sign for on a long term deal. 8.5M might be the right number at this point.

Ryan Johansen signed an 8x8 deal a few years back under a lower cap. Although, he did not get any signing bonuses or trade protection. If we offer Duchene 8x8 with 2M per season in bonus money, and a full NMC, despite technically being a lesser cap hit due to the cap going up, that would be a better contract than Johansen's due to the added security of the NMC and bonuses.

For reference, Johansen's deal would equate to just a bit more than 8.5M under the upcoming cap that is most likely set at about 80M.

Stamkos is taking home more money, in Florida, at 8.5 M, than he would if he had signed for 12 M in the other places rumoured to be interested in him.

So on paper, it looked like a discount, but in real (take home) money he did not.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Source to this rumour?

Also to add just cause dudes are swedish doesn't mean they are best friends loool

Thats like saying Duchene will be pissed if we trade Ceci cause they are both canadian

Heard he was devastated when Oduya was placed on waivers...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad