Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Duchene to MTL for Sergachev++. Depending on those pluses, I'd be anywhere from mildly disappointed to thrilled. But if Sergachev isn't included, I wouldn't consider any of it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not denying Sergachev for Duchene is a fair basis for a deal, but Bergevin is pretty stingy. If it were for Sergachev it'd probably just be him and a cap dump then. I think people will be very surprised what the Avs get from this trade.

As for Zadorov, we're talking about the 7th picked d-man ranked 16th in his draft versus the 2nd picked d-man ranked 9th. Obviously they aren't even the same tier of 1st round pick in their respective drafts. Not saying Zadorov can't end up being the best D of his draft btw, just putting it into context, but at the same time I do value Duchene more than O'Reilly.

I think personally that Avs wanted Sergachev in the 2016 draft and we pulled him out right before they had their chance. So I think you're probably right and it will require Sergachev in order to get the deal done otherwise Avs just keep Duchene. But if people are expecting Sergachev + 1st + roster player + 2nd + cap dump or something it IMO isn't going to happen. More than likely Sergachev + pick + cap dump, and wouldn't even be shocked if that pick is a 2nd.

Habs fans value Sergachev high and believe bare minimum he's a high end 2nd pairing guy with offensive skill and size, at the top end he's a 1st pairing guy with the same skill set. Obviously anything can happen, maybe the guys a bust but the fan base doesn't believe he will be.

If that turns out being the case, at the bare minimum Avs get a top notch 2nd pairing guy + pick for a guy they obviously are trying to move. With the potential to be more, but like I said with a prospect of course anything can happen. I expect that Sakic has similar faith in Sergachev that our fanbase does or he wouldn't be trying to swing a deal with us.

You might be right about the first bolded.

As for the second, nobody cares how much the Habs 'value' anything. The Avs WILL NOT trade an established STAR player with term left on his deal for a highly touted prospect that may or may not reach his potential + a second round pick + a cap dump. :laugh:

They are taking 100% of the risk and if Sergachev doesn't pan out (wouldn't be the 1st time a top-10 pick in NHL history doesn't reach his potential) the Avs would have just traded a #1 center for practically nothing.

We'd hang on to him quite easily if that were the case.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yikes... Unfortunately for Montreal, a Duchene trade is going to have to involve Sergachev

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Sorry but you don't get Duchene without Sergachev. If you somehow do, then Sakic should be fired immediately.

Frankly if you're Bergevin, Why wouldn't you make that trade. Sergachev will be in his prime in 5-6 years...When he won't even be GM anymore..
The time is now for the habs. Duchene would give them everything they need and more.

Last edited:

FacialAbuse*

Jan 30, 2017
If Habs get Duchene I think it makes them even more of a Cup contender. I'd do it if it were Bergevin. Gonna have to get rid of one of their sparkplugs--Shaw or Gallagher, unfortunately. Throw in McCarron or Plekanac and a pick and they'll be stacked.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
First of all Dreger has 0 credibility when it comes to the Avs.

I would be surprised if he could name all the players on the Avs. When it comes to the Avs he has than 0 clue usually.
Recent example is him rambling on about an injury history of Landeskog that does not exist including multiple concussions (when Landeskog himself basically confirmed that he had only one so far in his career).

Other reports say that Sakic is looking for a high end young D or high end young D prospect as part of the return.

Either way. Neither Beaulieu nor Juulsen fit that description in any way. The closest is Sergachev.

And he will be what it takes. If MB balks at including him, Sakic has to balk at trading Duchene or he needs to be fired ASAP (which he probably should be anyways but still that would add grave insult to injury)

@Leaffanforlife:

There are maybe 10-15 guys in this league that you can count on surpassing 70 points / year right now. If those guys are not superstars, I don't know who is...

Well, technical Duchene never surpassed 70 points (got 70 almost 4 years ago)

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
An article on it can be read here, bit more friendly than having to listen. Not sure what there is to discuss, honestly? I'm sure every team in the league would love a 26 year old top line forward. The big question is will they pay Sakic's price? That's pretty self-obvious stuff.

Added your link to main post thanks

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
''Marc Bergevin wants Matt Duchene but is the mid-season price too steep?

Here's the thing...have a clear plan. Giving up a high price for him this season compared to a lower one next season might not be enough of a difference considering they can actually use him this season for a playoff run when things are going well. Who knows what happens next year, could be issues with coaching that worse, Carey Price injury, big decline for Markov/Weber, etc.

If you feel like the window isn't now and that it involves guys like Sergachev 3-5 years down the line then don't trade for Duchene. By the looks of it though, this and next season are their best bet.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think he will be traded to an unexpected team in the offseason. Just my gut feeling on the matter.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
For Duchene, I'm ok with trading Sergachev. As long as Plekanec goes the other way as well and that's strictly for cap reasons. I'm a fan of Pleky, but I'm a huge fan of Duchene and he is a huge upgrade.
Sergachev+Plekanec+

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You'd think it starts with Sergachev, a first and a cap dump. Can't see the Avs taking anything less. They need young d-men and typically picks are exchanged in these types of deals. I don't see what else Montreal would realistically offer for Duchene.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Wasnt it Duchesne who picked the #9 because of the Rocket? If so he would probably happy to be traded here, and might not be that tough of a re-sign in two years given things go well until then.

I would love that trade, and the price will be steep. Understandably, Sergachev will likely go, which is fine. But if so, Beaulieu must stay, because losing both will kill our left side on D.

Otherwise, this seems like mostly speculation but it makes sense... The pieces seem to be there.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Sergachev Plekanec and a 1st is bare minimum. Avs aren't contending next year either so they shouldn't be rushing Sergachev.

I think both Landy and Duchene have new teams next season.

Avs should be building for 3 years from now not tomorrow.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
For cap reasons the deal would probably be like this.

Montreal Canadians- Matt Duchene.

Colorado Avalanche- Plekanec+Sergachev+Montreals 2017 1st round pick.

Would not do it. Not giving that much for him, Sergachev has a great future and as the article says there might be me first issues with Duchene.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Nashville has inquired about Matt Duchene

Thought I posted this before but it appears I did not submit it...

Nichols also has a link for 'Insider Trading' on his Twitter feed, but I can't run it on this computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad