TSN Radio Drive home yesterday w/ Brian Hayes + O-Dog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wanted to get around to posting this a lot sooner but hadn't gotten around to it. Did anyone else hear last night that they think they need to put the pressure on Kadri to perform now that Kessel is on?

Basically stating the media needs someone to put the pressure on, prod them and try to get a quote. Also went on to say of course Phaneuf will also be subject to answering a lot of questions about the team.

Jeff O'Neil said he thinks Kadri should be a 60-70 point forward and it's just like...you realize our team sucks right? The Art Ross winner had 87 pts and that 70 pts would have been impressive?

I just wanted to touch upon this because one it is very frustrating to hear the media in town say stuff like oh we gotta put the pressure on and come at these guys all the time and make it hard. WHY? - Seriously, who would want to come hear knowing you're going to have to deal with such awful media. Most of the media members outside of James Myrtle and Zeisberger seem to have an agenda and try to make it tabloid style rather then post up facts or provide nice insight.

I won't pretend all of our players are beyond being ripped - Clarkson deserved it - but deciding "Hey Kadri's 24, and been around here a while and needs a big season, let's expect more out of this kid and put a lot of pressure on him" is such a dumb line of thinking

Jeff O'Neil's train of thought speaks for itself.

Just wondering who else heard this segment driving home last night and am I the only one shaking my head? I know some people have visions of a guy like Stamkos signing here one day, if you were driving in your car and heard this, would you want to sign here or just stay in a nice place like Tampa with better taxes, weather, and a better team? Easy choice imo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt very much the Players are listening to such shows.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt very much the Players are listening to such shows.

Not the biggest point I was trying to make...more about the media in general and why it has to be about putting pressure on players and trying to get under their skin etc.

I think we all realize this is a rebuild year and the team is gonna be garbage...and yeah I get "getting a quote" like Kessel blowing up on you creates a buzz, but I just don't think it is neccessary. If you're a good writer/journalist then you should be able to get some good articles out with great content regardless like a Myrtle or Zeisberger.

CalgaryLeaf*

I don't think the returning players deserve a free pass after last year's debacle...They SHOULD come under fire.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It all comes with the job. If you're going to be paid millions you're going to have to put up with background noise like this, any professional who lets something small like this affect them shouldn't be a professional in my opinion.

They're right, Kadri will be looked to as a leader offensively, and if he doesn't put his money where his mouth is he should receive harsh feedback, that's why he's paid the big bucks.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not the biggest point I was trying to make...more about the media in general and why it has to be about putting pressure on players and trying to get under their skin etc.

I think we all realize this is a rebuild year and the team is gonna be garbage...and yeah I get "getting a quote" like Kessel blowing up on you creates a buzz, but I just don't think it is neccessary. If you're a good writer/journalist then you should be able to get some good articles out with great content regardless like a Myrtle or Zeisberger.

Maybe you took it out of context? Sounds like something they may discuss off air but seems like an odd thing to talk about on a show.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe you took it out of context? Sounds like something they may discuss off air but seems like an odd thing to talk about on a show.

Basically just saying Kadri and Phaneuf are going to be looked at as leaders this year, and guys are gonna be going after them after games, asking them tough questions, trying to get under their skin, trying to get a quote etc.

They shouldn't get a free pass, but also think it is a bit much for them to get hammered by 20+ media members after games etc too. Or just face the types of questions they do...like Kessel handled that Feschuk thing better then I would, ditto with Reimer, they are a lot nicer people then I am.

I just find that good reporters can make their point that guys are underperforming and what not, but they do it in such an unbiased way that doesn't suggest an agenda....another example would be Friedman...just calls it like it is...and isn't trying to get his name out there with his reporting.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Basically just saying Kadri and Phaneuf are going to be looked at as leaders this year, and guys are gonna be going after them after games, asking them tough questions, trying to get under their skin, trying to get a quote etc.

They shouldn't get a free pass, but also think it is a bit much for them to get hammered by 20+ media members after games etc too. Or just face the types of questions they do...like Kessel handled that Feschuk thing better then I would, ditto with Reimer, they are a lot nicer people then I am.

I just find that good reporters can make their point that guys are underperforming and what not, but they do it in such an unbiased way that doesn't suggest an agenda....another example would be Friedman...just calls it like it is...and isn't trying to get his name out there with his reporting.

Agree with what you're saying. I think Babcock, Shanahan and Lou Lam will try and buffer as much of this as they can, the whole "safe environment" thing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wanted to get around to posting this a lot sooner but hadn't gotten around to it. Did anyone else hear last night that they think they need to put the pressure on Kadri to perform now that Kessel is on?

No! boo. i wanted to hear this

Basically stating the media needs someone to put the pressure on, prod them and try to get a quote. Also went on to say of course Phaneuf will also be subject to answering a lot of questions about the team.

yeah. boo.

Jeff O'Neil said he thinks Kadri should be a 60-70 point forward and it's just like...you realize our team sucks right? The Art Ross winner had 87 pts and that 70 pts would have been impressive?

okay to be fair. to be fair.
JVR had back to back 60 points, and Kadri has the skill and the potential to possibly hit 60 (70 ..ehhhh). so even though we suck - if Kadri + JVR are playing together and are the first line. they should generate that, right? Ideally?

I just wanted to touch upon this because one it is very frustrating to hear the media in town say stuff like oh we gotta put the pressure on and come at these guys all the time and make it hard. WHY? - Seriously, who would want to come hear knowing you're going to have to deal with such awful media. Most of the media members outside of James Myrtle and Zeisberger seem to have an agenda and try to make it tabloid style rather then post up facts or provide nice insight.

I won't pretend all of our players are beyond being ripped - Clarkson deserved it - but deciding "Hey Kadri's 24, and been around here a while and needs a big season, let's expect more out of this kid and put a lot of pressure on him" is such a dumb line of thinking

Jeff O'Neil's train of thought speaks for itself.

Just wondering who else heard this segment driving home last night and am I the only one shaking my head? I know some people have visions of a guy like Stamkos signing here one day, if you were driving in your car and heard this, would you want to sign here or just stay in a nice place like Tampa with better taxes, weather, and a better team? Easy choice imo.

to be fair - Jeff generally prefaces a lot of this stuff with how he was within in the league. when he was a rookie (especially drafted as high as he was - or top 10). players like "a Kadri" needed to make a splash in his first two seasons. and when he was there he needed to make impacts all the time - that came from going to Arbitration and Rutherford telling him these things, and mostly because it was due to the fact of who he was (high draft pick), what he was supposed to be (top line talent) and what was expected "produce like one."

and I personally feel for Kadri - he wants that. (hence comes that expectation)
and for management they want that (it sounds like it) hence comes the media commentary.

Maybe Jeff is wrong in that. but in your 4th year in the league (right.. 4?) Kadri's personal play should be good.

if Stamkos was thinking well this is a reason - well. meh. there's always going to be a reason why not to sign here. just like there is always a reason to sign here. :dunno:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
More "pressure" just means much ado, about nothing.

More salutegates, more Kadri's suspension, more calls to Reimer's mom, more "you're saying its my fault! Get a load of this guy"

Microscopic crapola!
Lowest form of journalism.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Saying Kadri needs to take some of the offense and extra pressure that Kessel took before isn't a crazy thing to say at all.

Saying Kadri should be a 60-70 pt center isn't crazy at all either, nor is it putting too much pressure on him. He is pretty much saying Kadri needs to take the step he should have last year and do it this year.

Kadri has had 44pts in 48 gp, 50pts in 78 gp and 39 pts in 73 gp. The numbers make it look like he is regressing. With an extra year of development he should have hit 55-60 pts last year.

Quite honestly I think this thread is ridiculous.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No! boo. i wanted to hear this

yeah. boo.

okay to be fair. to be fair.
JVR had back to back 60 points, and Kadri has the skill and the potential to possibly hit 60 (70 ..ehhhh). so even though we suck - if Kadri + JVR are playing together and are the first line. they should generate that, right? Ideally?

to be fair - Jeff generally prefaces a lot of this stuff with how he was within in the league. when he was a rookie (especially drafted as high as he was - or top 10). players like "a Kadri" needed to make a splash in his first two seasons. and when he was there he needed to make impacts all the time - that came from going to Arbitration and Rutherford telling him these things, and mostly because it was due to the fact of who he was (high draft pick), what he was supposed to be (top line talent) and what was expected "produce like one."

and I personally feel for Kadri - he wants that. (hence comes that expectation)
and for management they want that (it sounds like it) hence comes the media commentary.

Maybe Jeff is wrong in that. but in your 4th year in the league (right.. 4?) Kadri's personal play should be good.

if Stamkos was thinking well this is a reason - well. meh. there's always going to be a reason why not to sign here. just like there is always a reason to sign here. :dunno:

JVR had back to back seasons of 60 points yes...and he played with Kessel who generated a lot of offense. What we saw though is they played absolutely no defense.

Going by the eye ball test I haven't been all that impressed when JVR and Kadri played together (usually with Kessel on RW). - Maybe that changes. I do think Kadri gets a LOT more PP time then he has ever before.

Generally players break out in their 3rd or 4th season. I think 50+ points is probably a good season for Kadri, barring injury of course. I don't think he's a #1C, a good 2C is what you're hoping for, but we don't have one of those to insulate Kadri.

I just think scoring has gone way down since O'Neil was around and that the expectation of 60-70 points seems high...

Again - I don't think any player deserves a free pass, but trying to get in players faces, trying to antagonize to get a quote etc is brutal, you're basically trying to run them out of town. Some deserves that like a David Clarkson if they can't get it together in 1 1/2 seasons and are being paid 5.25M

But you look at a guy like Phaneuf who puts up decent points, and deals with some of the worst defensive forwards in the league along with really high amount of defensive zone starts...you're not exactly left in a position to succeed, but yet people rip on him anyway. I just think being objective would be nice. Phaneuf is not without flaw, he has his brain farts etc.

Saying Kadri needs to take some of the offense and extra pressure that Kessel took before isn't a crazy thing to say at all.

Saying Kadri should be a 60-70 pt center isn't crazy at all either, nor is it putting too much pressure on him. He is pretty much saying Kadri needs to take the step he should have last year and do it this year.

Kadri has had 44pts in 48 gp, 50pts in 78 gp and 39 pts in 73 gp. The numbers make it look like he is regressing. With an extra year of development he should have hit 55-60 pts last year.

Quite honestly I think this thread is ridiculous.

This thread is no more ridiculous then you suggesting that a player's point totals should always go up no matter what.

Maybe year 1 is an anomoly? Maybe Kadri is a 50ish point forward, and that 70 pts is unrealistic. 70 pts is a 1st line centre, which I don't think anyone here thinks Kadri is.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Actually after listening to the segment this thread seems even more like a joke. They said nothing but accurate statements.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/o-neill-no-reason-for-marner-to-wear-no-93-1.354834

I suggest everyone takes a listen before going any further.

And yes, I would expect a young player to improve his numbers year after year.

Did the Leafs Lunch crew make fun of you or something lol?

Nothing but accurate statements? Uh huh...

So at which point do you expect them to stop improving? What isn't young?

And no, I actually normally like Hayes, but the idea that we need to try to get in player's faces to try to get a quote or expecting Kadri to just suddenly produce 60-70 points seemed a little ridiculous.

Also thanks for posting it - I forgot about the silly number debate - Let Marner wear 93, we already had Stajan wear 14...

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Actually after listening to the segment this thread seems even more like a joke. They said nothing but accurate statements.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/o-neill-no-reason-for-marner-to-wear-no-93-1.354834

I suggest everyone takes a listen before going any further.

And yes, I would expect a young player to improve his numbers year after year.

Did the Leafs Lunch crew make fun of you or something lol?

I thought this thread was more about the pressure the media should put on the Leafs, with one player as the focal point.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It all comes with the job. If you're going to be paid millions you're going to have to put up with background noise like this, any professional who lets something small like this affect them shouldn't be a professional in my opinion.

They're right, Kadri will be looked to as a leader offensively, and if he doesn't put his money where his mouth is he should receive harsh feedback, that's why he's paid the big bucks.
Still will make 1 million less than Bozak next season. So if he puts up 80% of Bozaks numbers all will be good.

CalgaryLeaf*

He's basically saying that Kadri should be in the 60's in terms of points...That's hardly an unrealisitic goal for a first line center who will get a ton of time on the PP.

I think Kadri will be get 60-70 points. Just look at the crap forwards he's had to play with for most of his career.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's basically saying that Kadri should be in the 60's in terms of points...That's hardly an unrealisitic goal for a first line center who will get a ton of time on the PP.

I think Kadri will be get 60-70 points. Just look at the crap forwards he's had to play with for most of his career.

What if he puts up 50-55 points? How will you feel?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
disappointed....I'll be very surprised if that happens quite frankly.

Why are we disappointed? Am I the only one who sees Kadri as just a "good 2C" - 70 points is #1C numbers, even if you force him into the 1C role for the year, do we really think he'll just achieve those numbers because of the opportunity? I mean I am more then happy to see it happen, I just don't think he's capable of producing that type of offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalgaryLeaf*

Or you could read and actually make a contribution to the thread, it is most certainly not what I am saying.

Thanks for trying out though.

Why are we disappointed? Am I the only one who sees Kadri as just a "good 2C" - 70 points is #1C numbers, even if you force him into the 1C role for the year, do we really think he'll just achieve those numbers because of the opportunity? I mean I am more then happy to see it happen, I just don't think he's capable of producing that type of offense.

Kadri is a low end #1 center...60+ points is not that difficult given the time on the PP.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kadri is a low end #1 center...60+ points is not that difficult given the time on the PP.

Will Kadri's 5 on 5 production go down though if he's our #1C as he will face the other teams top pairing defenseman rather then their 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman? Cause and effect right? He was one of our most productive 5 on 5 guys the last few years.

I won't be unhappy if he produces 60+ points, I really won't, I guess I just don't see it, and think if fans come away with thinking if Kadri doesn't produce 70 pts he "sucks" but if he never really had it in him to produce that, is that fair? Obviously you think he can and you're of course entitled to your opinion, I guess everyone has their own view on him.

CalgaryLeaf*

Will Kadri's 5 on 5 production go down though if he's our #1C as he will face the other teams top pairing defenseman rather then their 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman? Cause and effect right? He was one of our most productive 5 on 5 guys the last few years.

I won't be unhappy if he produces 60+ points, I really won't, I guess I just don't see it, and think if fans come away with thinking if Kadri doesn't produce 70 pts he "sucks" but if he never really had it in him to produce that, is that fair? Obviously you think he can and you're of course entitled to your opinion, I guess everyone has their own view on him.

You keep repeating 70 points to make it sound unrealistic...The discussion was 60-70 points for Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad